Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Lost my order !!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Totally agree with you. I think part of the reason they told you that is because there seems to be a shortage of the 19s at the assembly line, so they are opting to put the 18s instead.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Why don't you try building it through the web builder. It looks like it does allow you to have the 19s with AWD and Drive wise package.
I know that the website shows it as a build but it's not. There's a possibility that it'll be an option for 2019's or MAYBE even later this year on a 2018, but as of now there's not even an option in the spec sheet.

Attachments

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I see you are running a search for the car. However is that a search for available vehicles at other dealers or a search for Stingers that are about to become available from the assembly line?

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Bummer really sorry to hear, hopefully Kia will make it right some how with you.

OP
M
Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Thread Starter #25
I see you are running a search for the car. However is that a search for available vehicles at other dealers or a search for Stingers that are about to become available from the assembly line?
I have no way to search except from the Kia web page. I know of no way to search outside of using zip codes and 500 mile radius filters. Presumably the Kia rep has better search capabilities, but I think it is apparent they are not finding my specs anywhere in their pipeline.
So either I do without things that I want (and I will not do without the 19" tires as that is how the car was developed and tuned), or I will have to cough up an additional $3,900 for a GT2 with things I don't want, especially the special $1,000 windshield for the HUD display since I go through windshields like potato chips.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, this is a search for any Kia in the nation that is either at or coming to a US dealer.

Kia does NOT assign cars from the factory. The factory makes cars that are ear marked to come to the US and they are loaded up and shipped across the pond. Once they are on the water, that is the point that a car can be assigned to a dealership.

I just got off of the phone with my inside guy from the central region at Kia and I will have some more info for you tomorrow on what exactly can and cannot be done.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have no way to search except from the Kia web page. I know of no way to search outside of using zip codes and 500 mile radius filters. Presumably the Kia rep has better search capabilities, but I think it is apparent they are not finding my specs anywhere in their pipeline.
So either I do without things that I want (and I will not do without the 19" tires as that is how the car was developed and tuned), or I will have to cough up an additional $3,900 for a GT2 with things I don't want, especially the special $1,000 windshield for the HUD display since I go through windshields like potato chips.
Two things: 1) remember that the GT2 also comes with an additional $1,600 in lease cash to offset more of the additional price and 2) I don't believe that ANYONE has ever verified that the windshield in the Stinger has any special glass. I will check part numbers tomorrow morning on the GT1 & GT2 to see if they have different windshields in them.

OP
M
Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Thread Starter #28
I just got off of the phone with my inside guy from the central region at Kia and I will have some more info for you tomorrow on what exactly can and cannot be done.
So why didn't they TELL me you couldn't custom order a car? I've done that with virtually every car I've purchased since my 1970 Plymouth GTX. Do dealers not know that? Did you just learn it from your rep? I think my Kia rep is in the SW region since my dealer is in Arkansas and I'm sure she is combing the inventory as well. Very very disappointed in the system and lack of explanation on how it works, its limitations and under the table restrictions like the DriveWise 18" wheels. Strongly rethinking this whole thing. They told me my $1,000 deposit was non-refundable, but I'll bet I can get it back since they cannot get what I ordered. Wish I had a local BMW or Audi dealer nearby but I don't. ...... At this point, I'm going to keep the venerable G8 and run it another year or two just because I can. Maybe this is why I've never owned a foreign car since my '75 Saab EMS......

I really appreciate your help, [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]. Not upset with you, but I do have some serious reservations with the Kia system. I'll feel better in the morning.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So why didn't they TELL me you couldn't custom order a car? I've done that with virtually every car I've purchased since my 1970 Plymouth GTX. Do dealers not know that? Did you just learn it from your rep? I think my Kia rep is in the SW region since my dealer is in Arkansas and I'm sure she is combing the inventory as well. Very very disappointed in the system and lack of explanation on how it works, its limitations and under the table restrictions like the DriveWise 18" wheels. Strongly rethinking this whole thing. They told me my $1,000 deposit was non-refundable, but I'll bet I can get it back since they cannot get what I ordered. Wish I had a local BMW or Audi dealer nearby but I don't. ...... At this point, I'm going to keep the venerable G8 and run it another year or two just because I can. Maybe this is why I've never owned a foreign car since my '75 Saab EMS......

I really appreciate your help, [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]. Not upset with you, but I do have some serious reservations with the Kia system. I'll feel better in the morning.
Hahahahaha
[MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION], you're all good man. I understand.

Unfortunately, a lot of people speak without knowledge. I am working pretty diligently to dissect whether or not I have the ability to truly "order" a car from the factory direct. I'll have more true word on this tomorrow for ya. The truth is that every time I've put a "custom order" together with my customers over the years, I've ALWAYS been able to find the car either at another dealer OR in the pipeline on it's way from the factory. I've never had a time when it truly went all the way to the top. LOL Now, I know that I've always hunted down a car that I knew 100% that it came that way. I can't find proof anywhere YET that it comes the way you want but I'm working with my inside guy to verify whether or not such a unicorn can/has been built.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's

Attachments

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
LOL ok I surrender. Those pictures are so blurry I couldn't tell but on the dealer site it says 19".

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
LOL ok I surrender. Those pictures are so blurry I couldn't tell but on the dealer site it says 19".
If you click on the picture, it blows it up to make it visible.

And the reason it says 19" is because the STANDARD build has 19" but the replace them with the 18" when the ADAS package is added to the car.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Now, in the dealer's defense, the spec sheets that we get from the factory are IMPOSSIBLE to decipher! LOL Take a look at it. It's ridiculous... That said, there is ONE tiny glimmer of hope from this piece of paper that I may be able to drum up the car you desire [MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION]. There's one small sliver on here that I can't quite identify yet. It's only on this spec sheet from the factory. In my US allocation system this particular build does NOT exist. So, this is what I'm trying to dig up.

Attachments

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
If you click on the picture, it blows it up to make it visible.

And the reason it says 19" is because the STANDARD build has 19" but the replace them with the 18" when the ADAS package is added to the car.
If the builds are 19" and then switched to 18", do they also govern the car to a lower speed too?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
If the builds are 19" and then switched to 18", do they also govern the car to a lower speed too?
Yes Sir! The new stickers from the factory NOW state that they are reduced to 130 mph with the 18" wheels.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Yes Sir! The new stickers from the factory NOW state that they are reduced to 130 mph with the 18" wheels.
There's really no incentives in switching to 18" lol.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
There's really no incentives in switching to 18" lol.
Well, it depends on whether or not you want all season tires or summer Tires. The benefit is that the all season will get you much better traction in wet and winter weather as well as they will likely be much less expensive to replace and probably last longer than the Pilot Sport michelins.

The truth is that virtually no one in the United States will have an opportunity to push this car to 170 miles per hour. Most of us will tip 120 miles per hour at best when we are running late for work or showing off for a buddy who's in the passenger seat crapping his pants!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Well, it depends on whether or not you want all season tires or summer Tires. The benefit is that the all season will get you much better traction in wet and winter weather as well as they will likely be much less expensive to replace and probably last longer than the Pilot Sport michelins.

The truth is that virtually no one in the United States will have an opportunity to push this car to 170 miles per hour. Most of us will tip 120 miles per hour at best when we are running late for work or showing off for a buddy who's in the passenger seat crapping his pants!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
It also depends if you plan to track your car too. On some of the longer tracks you can easily exceed 120mph so I'd hate to give that up in exchange for the factory 18".