Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Lost a race against an Audi S4

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I was sitting at red light on the service road waiting for the light to turn green to get onto the highway. This newer model Audi S4 pulls up next to me and at the corner of my eye I can see the driver looking at my car. I knew he was probably going to overtake me in order to get onto the highway. When the light turned green, I started driving first and immediately hear his engine rev up as he guns his car. At that moment I did the same and kept up for maybe a few seconds, but after 60mph he started to pull away and got in front of me, by the time we both go onto highway he was about two car lengths ahead of me. He probably could have pulled away even further if it wasn't for traffic. I was behind him for most of the commute home and when he switched lanes to exit, gave me a thumbs up.

When I got home, I looked up the specs and they only have 350hp, still quite surprise how fast the car was. It's quite possible that his car was tuned but it looked very stock.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/s4/2018/2018-audi-s4-first-test-review/

It probably wasn't tuned. The stock 2018 Audi S4 is very quick. It may be slightly down on power but it is a little lighter and it's AWD system is better than the Stingers at getting the power to the ground. The S5 Sportback, which is more comparible to the Stinger in weight, is a little quicker too. All this being said, the Stinger is a fast car.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
The B9 Audi S4 gets from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds without launch control, the Stinger requires launch control to get similar numbers. In a street race the S4 should beat Stinger in almost every race.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
You had to be on it at green to know how it would actually turn out.

OP
johnnywalker
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
As soon as he gunned it, I gunned it. Thought I was going to either real him in or keep up but he was pulling away.[sadpanda]

Guess a tune is going to be my next mod.[hihi]

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
As soon as he gunned it, I gunned it. Thought I was going to either real him in or keep up but he was pulling away.[sadpanda]

Exhaust and tune/chip seem to be the big hitters.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise

Yes, but maybe he manually dropped an additional gear and threw more torque to the pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Audi claims the same 0-60 times as the Stinger at 4.7 sec. Car and Driver says 4.3 sec. in their test (they got 4.4 for the Stinger.) The 2018 went away from the dual-clutch transmission to a ZF torque converter 8-speed. Governed top end is 150.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
I can only think that, hey, you are reacting to what he just did. That's .5 seconds right there and forever more are going to be trailing. Not sure what the quarter miles speeds are between A4 and Stinger, but if the A4 has a slight advantage there, you were going to see some fade.

Would have loved to see what would have happened, had you been at a red, with launch control engaged, with both of you pushing pedal to the floor at the exact same time... Hmmm...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Was thinking the same about you reacting. Could have been very different had you started first.
You also didn't mention what mode you were in. Sport? Because if not, even though the car pulls nicely in comfort mode, it's not going to shift optimally. You're always going to get a better result racing in sport. May sound obvious, but by the margins you're saying, modes could have been the difference maker.
That said... There are certainly plenty of faster cars out there. One if my favorite things is seeing how insecure the car makes other drivers. (Especially challengers, it seems around here).

When I see a stock Challenger getting antsy and I look down and see those little skinny tires that look like they came off a Corolla...
Do your worst, dude. You couldn't possibly put enough power on the ground with those little things to pass me like you're fantasizing about right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Was thinking the same about you reacting. Could have been very different had you started first.
You also didn't mention what mode you were in. Sport? Because if not, even though the car pulls nicely in comfort mode, it's not going to shift optimally. You're always going to get a better result racing in sport. May sound obvious, but by the margins you're saying, modes could have been the difference maker.
That said... There are certainly plenty of faster cars out there. One if my favorite things is seeing how insecure the car makes other drivers. (Especially challengers, it seems around here).

When I see a stock Challenger getting antsy and I look down and see those little skinny tires that look like they came off a Corolla...
Do your worst, dude. You couldn't possibly put enough power on the ground with those little things to pass me like you're fantasizing about right now.

Racing others off a start has always seemed kinda odd to me... If a Honda accord pulls up, you're gonna win. Corolla? Uh yah. No need to even race. ON the flip side, if a Model S pulls up, you're going to lose - you know that. So again, why race to lose?

I guess I don't get it.

And should the kid in the 1995 Honda Civic, who put on some spinners, and a big fin, pull up rev-ing his engine, thinking he will take you. Uh again, no. To beat him proves what again, exactly?

For me, I like the ability to pass people at HWY speeds with giddy up still there. And watch this thing purr along without breaking a sweat at 78mph on cruise control for my business drives to all-over-the-place.

My truly functional power of the Stinger will come into play most often when I'm in cruise control, and on a 3-lane interstate... Inevitably, Joe and Jane clueless will be in the left lane going 70 in a 70 zone... It is at that point I can pull "Three Lane MarkyMark" in the blink of an eye, bypass the truck in the middle lane, hit the "slow" lane (which no one is in) and be past all this nonsense.

I'm not a crazy driver. I only hit about 5mph over the speed limit and hit cruise control and just kick on down the road without a ticket in 4 years... But I get aggravated when people won't even go 1mph over the limit and yet the sit there in the left lane. Ahhh!!!

As for cars right in the Stinger sweep spot, such as A4 Sports or a few BMW's, you are going to be neck and neck. So again the point being?... Neck and neck. Mission accomplished or?...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I guess maybe you could be content to live and let live? Try it sometime. Everybody doesn't have to derive satisfaction and enjoyment from all the same things
And people enjoying things you don't doesn't make them lesser than you.

But it is the internet.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I'm with [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION]. Stoplight racing is too risky for tickets because it's usually in traffic areas where you can't watch everywhere for police. It's also very expensive to replace a set of those 19" tires every 10,000 miles or less.

I am not an "aggressive" driver, but I am an opportunistic driver, much as [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION] describes above. I use the power in passing on single lane roads, and taking the opportunity of (safely) exploiting holes in traffic patterns on multi-lane highways. On occasion I've been know to blow off a tailgater when I've been trapped behind slower traffic camping in the passing lane when it clears. Those dangerous tailgaters are usually pickup truck or UV drivers, and the congestive traffic is usually a big semi or a mini-van. (I call the passing lane the "van lane" because they seem to think they own it so much of the time.)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Racing others off a start has always seemed kinda odd to me... If a Honda accord pulls up, you're gonna win. Corolla? Uh yah. No need to even race. ON the flip side, if a Model S pulls up, you're going to lose - you know that. So again, why race to lose?

I guess I don't get it.

And should the kid in the 1995 Honda Civic, who put on some spinners, and a big fin, pull up rev-ing his engine, thinking he will take you. Uh again, no. To beat him proves what again, exactly?

For me, I like the ability to pass people at HWY speeds with giddy up still there. And watch this thing purr along without breaking a sweat at 78mph on cruise control for my business drives to all-over-the-place.

My truly functional power of the Stinger will come into play most often when I'm in cruise control, and on a 3-lane interstate... Inevitably, Joe and Jane clueless will be in the left lane going 70 in a 70 zone... It is at that point I can pull "Three Lane MarkyMark" in the blink of an eye, bypass the truck in the middle lane, hit the "slow" lane (which no one is in) and be past all this nonsense.

I'm not a crazy driver. I only hit about 5mph over the speed limit and hit cruise control and just kick on down the road without a ticket in 4 years... But I get aggravated when people won't even go 1mph over the limit and yet the sit there in the left lane. Ahhh!!!

As for cars right in the Stinger sweep spot, such as A4 Sports or a few BMW's, you are going to be neck and neck. So again the point being?... Neck and neck. Mission accomplished or?...
I hear where you're coming from. When I had my Nissan GT-R (full bolt on--545 whp), I had someone on a daily basis wanting to race me at a light, mostly ricers in their fart can mufflered Civics and the occasional pickup truck. I live in a town of 25,000 where everyone knows everyone, and my rule was to never, ever race on the street. You wanna race me--then come to the track with me and watch me wipe your butt on the asphalt!! All of the cops in town knew me as I'm a physician and my car was parked right in front of the Emergency Room entrance where they would occasionally bring people. I figured, they would undoubtedly lose the race, so why try in the first place.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
I guess maybe you could be content to live and let live? Try it sometime. Everybody doesn't have to derive satisfaction and enjoyment from all the same things
And people enjoying things you don't doesn't make them lesser than you.

But it is the internet.

I'm pretty close to a Libertarian, but not quite. When others could be greatly effected by my actions - especially on the road - I draw lines. I wasn't always this way. In my youth I drove recklessly at times, and could have put others in danger, but I always justified how great a driver I was (I'm not the best, but I'm not half bad either).
1. Marriage. I was now responsible to someone else. That started to change how I drove.
2. Kids. Wow. Even when alone, I started realizing I needed to make much wiser decisions while driving.

At 47, it's a blessing I got through my youth, and I'm not driving 43 in a 55, hey I plan on getting a Stinger, right? ; ) I'm just a much wiser sage on the roads now-a-days.

OP
johnnywalker
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #16
The race was done in good spirit and we never exceeded the speed limit since we were merging onto the highway during rush hour.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
The race was done in good spirit and we never exceeded the speed limit since we were merging onto the highway during rush hour.
Great stuff!

I've never driven on a track before, but I'm thinking about checking into some training and seeing what i can learn at PIR (Portland Int Raceway).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
Great stuff!

I've never driven on a track before, but I'm thinking about checking into some training and seeing what i can learn at PIR (Portland Int Raceway).
CAREFUL!! Once you get stuck with that needle, it's more addictive than heroin!! Your wallet will scream in pain from being opened so regularly!!

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
CAREFUL!! Once you get stuck with that needle, it's more addictive than heroin!! Your wallet will scream in pain from being opened so regularly!!
Okay, first of all, you shouldn't know how addictive heroin is! LOL!

Secondly, I'm a cheap skate, so if it costs too much it may - at best - be a one-time B-Day gift type of a situation... But I'll keep the heroin analogy in mind! ; )

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Okay, first of all, you shouldn't know how addictive heroin is! LOL!

Secondly, I'm a cheap skate, so if it costs too much it may - at best - be a one-time B-Day gift type of a situation... But I'll keep the heroin analogy in mind! ; )
This one is even better.
[video=youtube;7npWDyxB7d8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7npWDyxB7d8[/video]