Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fake hood vents need to go

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Am I the only one who cant stand fake hood vents and fake honey comb bumpers on vehicles? If they aren't going to be functional, don't install them. Are there any solutions out yet to these hideous hoods?

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Am I the only one who cant stand fake hood vents and fake honey comb bumpers on vehicles? If they aren't going to be functional, don't install them. Are there any solutions out yet to these hideous hoods?
Most are in agreement with you. No solutions as far as I know.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
I made the same comment in another thread. They make this very classy vehicle look like XXXX! It's actually mindboggling that the designer of this great looking car stuck that crap on the hood. I'm hoping by 2020 they delete them!!!!!!

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
Yes, they have to go. Its hard to believe the designers of this great looking car tacked those on. It makes no sense.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Yes, they have to go. Its hard to believe the designers of this great looking car tacked those on. It makes no sense.
Optimas and K900s got them too on the sides. Albert Biermann's been slapping those fake vents on hoods and sides since his days with BMW's M Division. Another nod to european design, but poorly executed tacky flare, in my opinion.

Stingerhaus offers alternative hood vents, but they're still only ornamental.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I like the fake hood vents myself but I would prefer they were functional. I think it might be a good idea for those who don't like them, to have a delete option for the vents. They could basically swap the hood from a lower model.

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
I mean look at the new Hyundai Veloster N, even it has real honey comb. Kia and Hyundai are stepping it up big time. It's a shame, if Kia would make some fixes to the Stinger and Hyundai got rid of that absurd 3rd door on the Veloster, the wife and I would have 1 of each in the driveway. Great bang for buck. Hopefully the next Stinger body style features some adjustments, right now I wouldnt want one in their current state. Nice car but just not right where I want it to be for 50k. Same as the Veloster, hopefully they offer a true 3 door (2 plus hatch) option somewhere down the road.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I mean look at the new Hyundai Veloster N, even it has real honey comb. Kia and Hyundai are stepping it up big time. It's a shame, if Kia would make some fixes to the Stinger and Hyundai got rid of that absurd 3rd door on the Veloster, the wife and I would have 1 of each in the driveway. Great bang for buck. Hopefully the next Stinger body style features some adjustments, right now I wouldnt want one in their current state. Nice car but just not right where I want it to be for 50k. Same as the Veloster, hopefully they offer a true 3 door (2 plus hatch) option somewhere down the road.
So you won't buy a Stinger because the hood vents a fake...?

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
So you won't buy a Stinger because the hood vents a fake...?
Fake Hood Vents, lack of exterior / interior color combinations that I like, no heated rear seats, no 360 camera, plus new platform. I always wait 1-2 years when a new vehicle comes out.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 StingerGT2 AWD
That's all fine and dandy if it were a weekend show car. I friend of mine had to rig up a close off for his Viper because every time it rains (which is nearly every afternoon here in Florida) he was getting water in the engine compartment.
I can see your issue with color combinations, but I believe that is about all cars in this market segment. Option wise, well, again, a car with this capability for the cost, you have to give up a few things. Just my opinion though.

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
That's all fine and dandy if it were a weekend show car. I friend of mine had to rig up a close off for his Viper because every time it rains (which is nearly every afternoon here in Florida) he was getting water in the engine compartment.
I can see your issue with color combinations, but I believe that is about all cars in this market segment. Option wise, well, again, a car with this capability for the cost, you have to give up a few things. Just my opinion though.
Where is the logic on that? There are tons of vehicles on the road daily that have functional vents and scoops and have 0 issues with snow, rain, sun, doesn't matter. Just to name a few, Speed 3, STIs, Raptor, all the new 5th gen Rams...

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
If there were an option to swap the entire hood for one without the vents, that'd be great. I think all current models have them no matter what though..

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
There's no doubt the fake vents are an eye sore but there's not much we can do about it. Spending a ton of money to make them functional isn't worth it to me.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and likewise "eye sores." It's a non-issue to me.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
who's betting the faux vents will disappear, maybe 2019, most likely 2020.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Where is the logic on that? There are tons of vehicles on the road daily that have functional vents and scoops and have 0 issues with snow, rain, sun, doesn't matter. Just to name a few, Speed 3, STIs, Raptor, all the new 5th gen Rams...
[MENTION=362]Helipilot2[/MENTION], you are correct. But, those vehicles with open hood vents are DESIGNED to have them and as such also have ways of channeling water.

Top mount intercoolers are very well known to be inferior to front mount in regards to performance and space. I'll take the front mount and ornamental hood decor every day of the week! LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #18
[MENTION=362]Helipilot2[/MENTION], you are correct. But, those vehicles with open hood vents are DESIGNED to have them and as such also have ways of channeling water.

Top mount intercoolers are very well known to be inferior to front mount in regards to performance and space. I'll take the front mount and ornamental hood decor every day of the week! LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I never said they needed to go to a top mount intercooler, besides the design they have now is more of a heat extractor style which would be both functional and look better. Top mount intercoolers are ass and always will be. When paying 50k+ there is no reason what so ever to have fake parts on your vehicle, especially a performance vehicle. Someone mentioned not wanting to pay extra for functional vents, then why pay extra for fake ones? It wouldn't cost much more for manufacturing to put in water channeling to allow for true vents resulting in a cooler running engine which would allow for more power to be made safely. Literally no con to a heat extractor style hood unless your budget is so tight you can't afford an extra $500 (that's on the high side) which if that is the case you shouldn't be spending 50k+

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 StingerGT2 AWD
Wow, you must REALLY HATE those vents. A three day rant on how non/dysfunctional these things are, and why you should not have to pay for them. So...don't pay for them. Like you say, there are other cars out there that have functional ones, and others with out them all together. Just sayin'
From what I see is you don't currently have one (according to your profile), and you haven't ordered one because it doesn't carry the "features/options" you want (according to your thread activity). Why such a hater Heli?
Man, I love mine. Of course, I've been driving since the mid 70's, and have had to deal with a lot of cars I wouldn't want to be seen in, but needed the transportation. Now that I can afford what I want when I want it, I chose this because it has a ton of standard equipment, a lot of performance, and I didn't have to settle for a lower to middle of the road Audi, BMW, Jag, Alfa to get a Grand Touring styled vehicle.
This thread makes me smile, because you must like the vehicle, otherwise I don't think you would be on this forum, but the Hate for a simulated vent...WOW.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I kind-of have to agree with [MENTION=589]Cocoa Bob[/MENTION] here. A couple of other reviewers didn't like the hood trim, either, and I understand that. I looked past them because they don't matter, and I'm no PhD in automotive design although I agree that to my mind, form follows function. They are more prominent on light color cars like the white or "concrete" gray and not so much on blue, red, black. If I were that picky about styling, I'd never buy a car, because there are styling features that everyone likes, doesn't like, or cares less about. Drive what you like and like what you drive. I've been around since the days of bi-annual sheet metal changes and I've seen some real losers.