Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Seems possible to make hood vents functional on the Stinger

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
I just saw on eBay you can buy the Kia Stinger hood vents for about $100. From the pictures below I think we can easily drill the holes to make it functional. Have a look at the front and back side.[tongue]

Part Number: 8642011111
Part Number: 8641011111

Functional Kia Stinger Hood Vents

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Looks easy enough, you might have to cut a hole in the hood liner so that air can pass through. That's as long as there's an opening from the bottom to access the fake vents.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Are there actual holes in the hood itself to allow this? It's easy enough to make holes in these vents and the hood liner but the metal in the hood itself is a different story. One other thing to consider is how other companies that have real hood vents, deal with water drainage when rain goes through the vent.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
One other thing to consider is how other companies that have real hood vents, deal with water drainage when rain goes through the vent.
Water drainage is a legitimate concern, but what about cooling and other airflow concerns? Could functional vents negatively impact the cooling system calibration and/or turbo airflow? I don't claim any particular expertise, but I'm assuming all of these things were designed based on not having hood vents.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Corvette Z06, 2018 Stinger GT
Water drainage is a legitimate concern, but what about cooling and other airflow concerns? Could functional vents negatively impact the cooling system calibration and/or turbo airflow? I don't claim any particular expertise, but I'm assuming all of these things were designed based on not having hood vents.
Water drainage could be an issue not to mention the size and the amount of holes wouldn't be sufficient to have any cooling affect. In order to be somewhat effective, the ventilated areas would have to take up more than the entire vent itself. Airflow won't be effective with the holes as air will glide right over the entire vent.

OP
Dan

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Thread Starter #6
Oh yeah I wasn't intending for it to be any effective heat extractor. Figured by adding holes to the vents it won't look so tacky.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
The way it's engineered, you won't need to drill holes or make the vents functional. Keep it as it is and enjoy the car [twothumb]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Cant seem to tell but to me it looks like this batch does not have the hood vents, like the Korean 2.0T Dream Edition. Stinger 2.jpg

Attachments

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Would like Deep Chroma Blue but if it?s not headed our way then the White one would do nicely!
Deep Chroma Blue would be my preference too. I didn't realize Singapore had any color restrictions.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Many unknowns cos it?s a small market here and a single dealership. The specs and pricing still TBA too.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
Looking closer at those pics it appears the hoods are covered. I can't tell if the hood decorations are there or not, if I'm being honest...

Robs

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Looking closer at those pics it appears the hoods are covered. I can't tell if the hood decorations are there or not, if I'm being honest...
Our Stingers all have the fake hood vents. They're quite flushed with the hood so didnt seem to show up under the white plastic wrap on the bonnets.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Photo from Singapore? Must be an Asian/European version. (Oops, sorry, missed [MENTION=240]Robs[/MENTION] post just above while typing this...)

I agree with the consensus that opening holes in the hood is risky. It is clear that the Stinger spent a lot of time in the wind tunnels because of the functional front wheel well vents, and location of the radiator and intercooler, plus the extensive underbody paneling all of which contributes to its 0.30 drag coefficient. If you create what would likely be bleed air on the top of the hood, it could create a lot of turbulence under that engine cover with air flowing upward through the engine compartment rather than down under the car.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
I honestly don't know why people keep complaining about the hood vents. They do look pretty cool and they must be non-functional for a reason. They wouldn't put non-functional hood vents that actively include detriments to the performance or cooling for the car. Plus, like mentioned, water drainage would be a concern at that point. I'm going to continue just enjoying the car for the way it is.

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
I thought I'd post this comment here, since it doesn't really warrant starting a new thread. I've noticed that I can pop my hood 2 hours after parking the car, and the strut tower bars are still too hot to touch by hand. But then in less than 5 minutes with the hood up they are cool enough to do so. Point being, these engine bays retain a lot of heat, and I have to think that can't be good in the long run for all the plastic and rubber under there.

Some kind of functional vents could help to alleviate this problem.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I thought I'd post this comment here, since it doesn't really warrant starting a new thread. I've noticed that I can pop my hood 2 hours after parking the car, and the strut tower bars are still too hot to touch by hand. But then in less than 5 minutes with the hood up they are cool enough to do so. Point being, these engine bays retain a lot of heat, and I have to think that can't be good in the long run for all the plastic and rubber under there.

Some kind of functional vents could help to alleviate this problem.
It actually might be by design for it to retain heat. If the parts underhood are cooling down slowly, then the material doesn’t take as much wear and tear. Heating and cooling rapidly causes more wear. If you park your car at the movie theater and come back to it a few hours later, if the engine bay is still warm then there won’t be as much stress in parts to heat back up to operating temperature. Just my thought

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
From an aero and thermo-dynamic standpoint - they would best be used as heat extractors in a NACA-style "reverse scoop" like the Mitsu EVO X/Ralliart hoods... They are the two black vents on the leading edge of the hood. No, keeping heat under the hood is not desirable. ;)

Attachments