Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip Chip Tuning introduction

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Hello Kia Stinger enthusiasts,

my name is Tim and I work for RaceChip. We are the biggest company in the world focusing on what you call piggybacks. Since we face high demand from the US, we are interested in getting in contact with you and your opinions. We are excited to be a part of this community and look forward to your questions.
Tim

---
Some FAQs:

When will RaceChip offer products for the Kia Stinger?
Edit: Please find the product here: https://www.racechip.us/shop/kia/stinger-ck-from-2017/3-3-t-gdi-3342ccm-365hp-276kw-376lb-ft.html

Does RaceChip sell ordinary piggybacks?
No. Our tuning modules are more like mini-computers than ordinary piggybacks. Our new product range was launched at the end of 2017 and represents the latest technology. A RaceChip GTS is made of more than 350 hardware components. One of these components is an ARM Cortex processor capable of gathering and optimizing data from the engine sensors via up to seven analogue and digital channels in parallel. Via a digital user interface, drivers can choose from seven specially calibrated fine tuning mappings.
I case you got the app feature and are not satisfied with your tuning mapping, our customer service is able to further adapt the settings to the performance characteristics of your engine. The new parameters will then simply be transferred from the app to your RaceChip.
The optional smartphone app offers three tuning stages to match different driving situations: Efficiency for saving fuel in urban traffic, Sport for improved mid-range flexibility on open roads, and Race for maximum performance on the Autobahn or a drag race. The app can also deactivate the RaceChip completely, returning the car to stock tune ? something worth doing from time to time as a way of re-discovering the difference between from-the-factory performance and RaceChip upgraded performance.
Following comparison of our development times shows the importance of the optimization software:
Design and construction: 250 hours
Hardware engineering: 696 hours
Software engineering: 3,700 hours
Other features are (depending on the product) a warm-up timer to protect the engine, a 5-year warranty and free re-programming of the RaceChip if you change cars.
Our suppliers also serve the German automotive industry and our products are Made in Germany.

What about the usual advantages of piggybacks?
A RaceChip features many other advantages:
- Simple plug and play installation within a few minutes
- Easy removal within a few minutes to reset the car to the factory setting
- The tuning can't be overwritten during a service
- A RaceChip can be reprogrammed and transferred to another car
- All manufacturers protection mechanisms remain functional, which ensures maximum safety and longevity of your car

Do you offer a warranty on the engine?
In Europe, the GTS comes with a 2-year engine warranty (see conditions).
In the US and the rest of the world we do not offer an engine warranty.

Are you experienced in Kia Tuning?
RaceChip is well known for its products for German premium cars. Indeed, except for the McLaren 570S all RaceChip Showcars were German cars.
However, before the Stinger RaceChip already optimized plenty of Kia models and engines and served thousands of Kia owners.

Models:
Borrego (from 2008)
Carens II (FJ) (2002 - 2006)
Carens III (UN) (2006 - 2013)
Carens IV (RP) (from 2013)
Carnival I (GQ, UP) (1999 - 2005)
Carnival II (VQ) (2006 - 2011)
Cee'd (ED) (2006 - 2013)
Cee'd (JD) (from 2012)
Cerato I (LD) (2004 - 2009)
Magentis (MG) (2005 - 2010)
Optima (JF) (from 2015)
Optima (TF) (2010 - 2015)
Picanto (BA) (2004 - 2011)
Pro Cee'd (ED) (2008 - 2013)
Pro Cee'd (JD) (from 2013)
Rio II (JB) (2005 - 2011)
Rio III (UB) (from 2011)
Sedona (UP/GQ) (2002 - 2006)
Sorento I (JC) (2002 - 2009)
Sorento II (XM) (2009 - 2015)
Sorento (III) (from 2015)
Soul (AM) (2008 - 2014)
Soul (PS) (from 2014)
Sportage (JE) (2004 - 2010)
Sportage (QL) (from 2016)
Sportage (SL) (from 2010)
Venga (YN) (from 2009)

Engines:
1.0 T-GDI
1.6 T-GDI
1.1 CRDi
1.4 CRDi
1.5 CRDi
1.6 CRDi
1.7 CRDi
2.0 CRDi
2.2 CRDi
2.5 CRDi
2.9 CRDi
3.0 CRDi

About RaceChip:
RaceChip Chip Tuning is the leading performance engineering company specializing in electronic performance enhancement via auxiliary control unit. A performance increase of up to 30% and an extra dose of driving fun are available for more than 4,000 vehicles from over 60 manufacturers. The company was founded in 2008 and has grown from start-up to global player, with more than 100 employees at its G?ppingen, Munich and Shanghai locations. RaceChip products are available from the company's own online shops as well as from 2,000 sales partners worldwide in over 135 countries. RaceChip's product range includes the entry-level model RaceChip S, the bestseller RaceChip RS and the new range topping chips RaceChip GTS and GTS Black. The throttle tuning XLR completes the range of performance enhancements. GTS Black, GTS, RS and XLR are all available with app control. More than 100,000 drivers discover RaceChip every year, and there is no end to this trend in sight. For more information visit: www.racechip.us

For fast customer service response regarding your order please contact us via e-mail support@racechip.com or contact form
Facebook: www.facebook.com/racechipchiptuning
Instagram: www.instagram.com/racechipchiptuning/

Last edited:

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Welcome [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] can you let us know exactly what your tune does on the Stinger?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Excited to have you on here Tim.

Couple of questions:
1) Can the RaceChip GTS be transferable from one Stinger to another on the used market?
2) Does the piggyback tune adapt with additional power add-ons?
3) What kind of power are we expecting?
4) Does the tune apply to both engines?

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Welcome to the forum [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION], subscribed for updates.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Welcome, looking forward to more details on the product.

OP
RaceChip
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
Welcome @RaceChip can you let us know exactly what your tune does on the Stinger?
I am sorry Dan, I can?t go into detail before we release the product.
In general, our product is placed in the wiring loom between the sensors and the engine control unit. The Tuning Chip modifies several sensor signals in real time and sends it to the ECU. Based on the optimized signals the engine control unit adapts a variety of other signals. As a result, relevant parameters such as the air/fuel ratio, the boost and the ignition timing can be optimized. Of course, we must know exactly what the ECU does and test the product extensively.

Excited to have you on here Tim.
Couple of questions:
1) Can the RaceChip GTS be transferable from one Stinger to another on the used market?
2) Does the piggyback tune adapt with additional power add-ons?
3) What kind of power are we expecting?
4) Does the tune apply to both engines?
Thank you,

1. Yes. Our products can be transferred to other cars with the same engine.
    However, the GTS also comes with a free re-programming if you change cars within 3 years. If you got the smartphone app (which is optional), you do not even have to send the product to us. We simply provide the new optimization software via update. Of course, we may have to send you a new wiring loom.
  2. In general, we develop our products for cars in factory setting without any modification. If you modify your car, we can?t guarantee our advertised statements, because we don?t know the modifications. You must distinguish between a) ecu remapping/flashing and b) other modifications.
    • a) If you change the software on the ECU (via remapping/flashing) we can?t guarantee proper functioning. If the remapper did a bad job (remove necessary protection mechanisms and implementing dangerous functions) it could blow up your engine in the worst case. Anyway, it usually does not make much sense to use both methods. The power reserve of an engine is limited. Either you use our product to unleash this power reserve or ECU remapping/flashing.
    • b) If you conduct other modifications such as better air filters, cold air intake, intercooler, downpipe, ? it usually works. Still we can?t guarantee this in general. If you installed other performance parts and are not satisfied with the functioning of the RaceChip anymore, you can contact our customer service to get the software adapted (you need the app versions so you can download the updated software. The app version is $50 on top, the customer service is free of charge). If you conduct massive changes (e.g. bigger turbocharger) it is better to dirictly adapt the software in the ECU.
    Our throttle tuning XLR can be used in combination with any modification (incl. remapping/flashing).
  3. We can usually achieve up to 30% more HP and up to 30% more torque. I can?t tell you yet what we will achieve with the Stinger, but it looks quite promising. It looks like Kia left a lot of power reserves for an even stronger future Kia Stinger GTR (or something like that).
    One important aspect of the power upgrade:
    Many people only look at the difference at the maximum HP level. E.g. the max HP of the Stinger will be at at 6000 rpm. At this point the power upgrade in % values will still be impressive, but e.g. at 4000 and 5000 rpm the power upgrade in % could be much higher. So how often do you drive with 6000 rpm and how often do you drive with 4000 rpm? The power upgrade at 4000 rpm is very important for acceleration (and for getting better fuel economy). However, everybody only looks at the Max. numbers. Admittedly, we also only use the maximum numbers (e.g. in our online shop), because anything else would be too complicated to explain. (So, no worries if you did not get my point)
  4. We will start with the 3.3L V6

Last edited:

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Welcome, great to see you guys reaching out to the community.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Welcome! Do you have any experience yet with the Hyundai/Kia 3.3 Twin Turbo engine? Thanks!

English D

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
with the new findings on the GT that has been capped at 140 mph when it gets lower rated tires with this remove that so we can have full power access

OP
RaceChip
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Thread Starter #11
Welcome! Do you have any experience yet with the Hyundai/Kia 3.3 Twin Turbo engine? Thanks!
Thank you for the welcome and your question. The Stinger GT will be the first car for which we offer chip tuning products for a Hyundai/Kia 3.3 Twin Turbo engine.

with the new findings on the GT that has been capped at 140 mph when it gets lower rated tires with this remove that so we can have full power access
The top speed of the Stinger GT is 167 mph. There is a nice statement on their website:

?The Stinger GT tops out at 167 mph. Some wanted to limit the top speed to 130 mph. But we needed to elevate the Stinger?s competitiveness to another level and demonstrate what the vehicle is capable of. Even the instrument cluster had to be redesigned as the original speedometer only went to 160 mph. Every change causes a cascade of other changes, but every little detail matters.?
Source: https://www.kia.com/us/kia-open-road/stinger_beauty_in_the_details.html

So why should anybody use low rated tires and limit the top speed to 130 mph?

Apart from that, we are discussing the vmax (limitation of the top speed) topic from time to time in our product development department. Many Germans don't like the fact that they theoretically could drive even faster on the Autobahn, but are limited by the vmax. Unfortunately, there is a reason for the vmax. E.g. the tires or the brakes might not be designed for a higher velocity. Thus, it might be dangerous to remove the vmax. However, RaceChip claims to be a save tuning method. RaceChip does not remove any safety or security systems.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Thank you for the welcome and your question. The Stinger GT will be the first car for which we offer chip tuning products for a Hyundai/Kia 3.3 Twin Turbo engine.

The top speed of the Stinger GT is 167 mph. There is a nice statement on their website:

?The Stinger GT tops out at 167 mph. Some wanted to limit the top speed to 130 mph. But we needed to elevate the Stinger?s competitiveness to another level and demonstrate what the vehicle is capable of. Even the instrument cluster had to be redesigned as the original speedometer only went to 160 mph. Every change causes a cascade of other changes, but every little detail matters.?
Source: https://www.kia.com/us/kia-open-road/stinger_beauty_in_the_details.html

So why should anybody use low rated tires and limit the top speed to 130 mph?

Apart from that, we are discussing the vmax (limitation of the top speed) topic from time to time in our product development department. Many Germans don't like the fact that they theoretically could drive even faster on the Autobahn, but are limited by the vmax. Unfortunately, there is a reason for the vmax. E.g. the tires or the brakes might not be designed for a higher velocity. Thus, it might be dangerous to remove the vmax. However, RaceChip claims to be a save tuning method. RaceChip does not remove any safety or security systems.
There is quite the discussion here about the apparent fact that the speed IS limited to 140 (or so?) for those cars that came from the factory with 18" all-season tires. So, the question remains. Will you be able to modify the (known-to-be-governed-even-at-167MPH) top speed?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
There is quite the discussion here about the apparent fact that the speed IS limited to 140 (or so?) for those cars that came from the factory with 18" all-season tires. So, the question remains. Will you be able to modify the (known-to-be-governed-even-at-167MPH) top speed?
You would have to "root" pretty deep to find that block. LOL

OP
RaceChip
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Thread Starter #14
You would have to "root" pretty deep to find that block. LOL
Yes, usually this is done by changing the software on the ecu and not via a piggyback. However, removing the vmax is no rocket science.

Too bad! Thank you for sharing this information.
Currently, we are not planning to remove the vmax. As I already mentioned, RaceChip does not remove any safety or security systems. This is one of the reasons why so many people trust our brand and love our products. The vmax is a safety system, because the all-season tires can?t handle higher velocity. If we would remove it and if you would have an accident, because you were faster than your tires could handle: Who would you blame?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Hi, is this available for sale yet? I have the 3.3L

OP
RaceChip
Reactions
State