Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Sport mode whine?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Anybody getting a slight whine in sport mode? It doesnt doit other moded just sport. The whine isn't that bad. It sounds like the transmission is downshifting and that's when the whine is more audible. Again it's not bad just want to make sure normal.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Can't say that I've heard any whining in Sport Mode.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
nothing on mine

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
With the windows up and radio off it's there. I would like to think its normal lol but anybody else?

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Try adjusting the Active Sound to see if it makes any difference.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Anybody getting a slight whine in sport mode? It doesnt doit other moded just sport. The whine isn't that bad. It sounds like the transmission is downshifting and that's when the whine is more audible. Again it's not bad just want to make sure normal.
Use your phone and post a video so we can hear what you're talking about.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Hard for me to tell but it ALMOST sounds like an electrical noise that coincides with engine rpm. Maybe like a disconnected ground wire or something through the sport mode??? I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just a guess....

I have an idea.... Turn off (or down) the exhaust noise that's pumped into the cabin through the speakers and see if that's what it is. That may be what k8ar was referring to or is active sound noise reduction (sorry I'm not sure which)?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I don't hear a thing in the video.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
CHAPPELLE_01_0111_HEADPHONES_640x360.jpg
Turn it UP!

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
Is the whine you are referring to happening at around 0:14?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I've heard something like you describe and I've interpreted it to be the transmission. Doesn't bug me.

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
Are you downshifting manually or is it doing it on it's own?

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #16
On it's own and only on sport mode. I tried setting the fake sound to minimize and still there. I'll just take it as a normal thing. If it gets louder I'll start worrying.

Are you downshifting manually or is it doing it on it's own?

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
The whining is normal, I tend to notice it more when its holding the gear longer in sports mode.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #18
Cool thanks. That's what I thought. Rock on!

The whining is normal, I tend to notice it more when its holding the gear longer in sports mode.

Sting18

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
[MENTION=948]MekstingerGT[/MENTION].. Hey Mate, I can definitely hear it on your video!. I've had my GT for a month now have just hit over 1000 km. when i started noticing that whining sound, though mine is doing it in smart mode as well as comfort?.. Unfortunately i had the exact problem with my previous Kia Sportage GT LINE. After a number of visits to the dealer it was established that there was an issue with the transmission!. It was going to take up to 3 weeks to get it fixed? I didn't end up fixing as i since sold it to buy the Stinger. Unfortunately it looks like the same thing is happening again.. Ashame because i love this car & its beginning to bug me out, Not Impressed!. I am taking it to kia service to start this process again! Maybe its A Kia quality issue??..

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #20
Oh man that's not what I wanted to hear. I hope it's not the transmission! I'll continue to keep my ears open from now on. On mine it comes and go. I want to believe it's the transmission warming up or maybe the fluids have not made its cycle? I dunno I learn to live with it. Try posting a video clip on how yours sound.

[MENTION=948]MekstingerGT[/MENTION].. Hey Mate, I can definitely hear it on your video!. I've had my GT for a month now have just hit over 1000 km. when i started noticing that whining sound, though mine is doing it in smart mode as well as comfort?.. Unfortunately i had the exact problem with my previous Kia Sportage GT LINE. After a number of visits to the dealer it was established that there was an issue with the transmission!. It was going to take up to 3 weeks to get it fixed? I didn't end up fixing as i since sold it to buy the Stinger. Unfortunately it looks like the same thing is happening again.. Ashame because i love this car & its beginning to bug me out, Not Impressed!. I am taking it to kia service to start this process again! Maybe its A Kia quality issue??..