Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

330S Comfort Mode vs Sports Mode?

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys: I need some info on the Mode Selector on the centre console. I've been using only Comfort Mode and Sports Mode. I use Sports Mode in urban areas because I like the auto to kick down a gear or two without too much accelerator. The trouble with Sports Mode is that it seems to prevent the gearbox selecting 8th gear. And for this reason I switch the system back to Comfort Mode when I am cruising on open roads.

I notice that there's a Custom Mode. Not sure how this works. Is there any way that I can use this Custom Mode to get the responsive kickdown on light throttle and also enable the gearbox to slot into 8th gear (to avoid me having to switch between Sports Mode and Comfort Mode)? What's the purpose of the Custom Mode and how is it best used?

If I leave the switch set to Comfort Mode will the gearbox detect my driving style and preferences and learn to kickdown on light throttle pressures?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Sport mode will use 8th gesr. Just go faster.

In sport mode, 8th hear is only used at speeds higher than you are going.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Guys:

If I leave the switch set to Comfort Mode will the gearbox detect my driving style and preferences and learn to kickdown on light throttle pressures?
No, comfort mode doesn't learn anything.

It will respond to your pedal input appropriately. But, it will shift up much earlier than in sport mode. It will also not hold a gear as long. (Better fuel economy and comfort VS sport mode)

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
Have you tried Smart mode? My commute is part back roads, 30 miles of highway, and a good but of traffic and I find that gives me the power and handling when I want it and still gives decent mpg. Mind you I have the 2.0.... not sure if the GTs are different.

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #5
Have you tried Smart mode? My commute is part back roads, 30 miles of highway, and a good but of traffic and I find that gives me the power and handling when I want it and still gives decent mpg. Mind you I have the 2.0.... not sure if the GTs are different.
Thanks BeachMetal. I'll give it a try. Also thanks DJL for the info on Comfort Mode not learning driving styles. If the auto doesn't learn driving styles in Comfort Mode does it learn driving styles in any other mode?

My Stinger is a 330S so I'll guess that it's mechanically the same as a GT. What does Smart Mode do that Sports Mode does not?

Is there a way to set up the car so the auto gearbox kicks down promptly with crisp changes without me having to remember to twiddle the knob on the centre console each time I start the car? Thanks heaps.

PAH

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
What does Smart Mode do that Sports Mode does not?
Smart Mode is all the drive modes in one so If your driving normally, the car will be in ECO to save gas. If you stab the throttle the car will automatically switch to Sport Mode. If your in Sport Mode, your just in that mode all the time and your MPG will suffer.

If your in any other mode besides Comfort Mode when you shut to car off some place an you come back out to start your car it will default back to Comfort Mode...

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
It works as spider55 says. From what I have experienced Smart mode is pretty seamless with the transitions from one mode to another. Its my go-to.

I think if you go with ECO it will default to that, any others it goes back to Comfort.

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the info all. It's a shame that the system doesn't allow Smart Mode to be set as a default.

PAH

dunc69

Reactions
City
Bristol
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 3.3 GTS
If you use Eco, it will remain in Eco even when turned off and back on.

In Smart, it will default to Comfort after being turned off and on.

Smart does work well but, for me, Eco is my preferred option (it’ll still fly if you floor it!!) and I use Sport when I need to have some real fun.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I’d use Smart mode all the time if I could have it use the sport steering. I use custom and configure it for Eco on engine and transmission. Sport for steering. As others have mentioned, put your foot flat in eco, and the car will fly, and will gear down very quickly. I’ve never had a situation where I was in custom/eco mode and I couldn’t accelerate quickly enough in a specific scenario that needed it.

I do wish I didn’t have to manually put it back into Custom mode every time I get in. I hope Kia fixes that retroactively at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk