Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Service Manager Warranty (long sorry but

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Worth reading.

Just got back from dealership, getting new rotors and pads next week, had recall for wire harness fixed and showed them the video of the noise my car makes when an aftermarket BOV is on it. Let them know I have had the noise with the stock diverter valves but only occasionally.

1hr into the service I asked if I could go grab my laptop, they said yes and walked to my car. The service manager and two techs were looking under the hood. Service manager asked if this was my car while I was inside getting my laptop...I knew something was up lol.

He took me to the front and said... Are these aftermarket parts and I thought to myself, you got to be kidding me. Nothing diagnosed, he never heard the noise and he said your warranty is voided cause you put these on.
I said no it's not
He said yes it is
This went on for a bit and finally I said, you ever read the moss act, it protects against people like you, it was signed in 1975 by President Ford and states
Illegal to void, manufacturer has to prove...went through it and then informed him my understanding that the turbos we're series 17 Garret turbos with Kia badge on them that my intercooler had a Garret core and the turbos we're still functioning within acceptable pressure.
Then told him nothing was wrong with the turbos and why would he bring them up and be so combative with me instead of the advocate he should be.
He tried to talk to me further and I turned around to walk off, he said wait but I kept going.

Few minutes later the tech guy said he wants me to take a ride with you to see if we can replicate the noise. We did but could not. The tech even apologized to me for the way the manager treated me while we test drove my car. When we got back the service manager apologized and said he "should not have come at me like that".

I said thanks and left him and walked into the sales floor.

Important lesson here:)
Bought my car in November, got to know the sales manager, even met him for lunch after I bought the car and have stayed in contact with him since. I went to him, pissed as all could be, told him what happened and he told me to hold on a sec.

The owner of the dealership happened to be there and that is who David went to get. I had a long conversation with the owner.

When all was said and done he was as worked up as me, offered me free oil changes for a year to keep me as a customer, said that's not how he does business and could not believe it.

He gave me his cell number and instructions to reach out anytime I am coming in. Told him I lost confidence in his service department but because of David, the sales manager and how he (the owner) treated me I would not blast social media and would give him a chance to keep me as a customer.

He assured me that they would be an advocate for me if Kia had an issue with my intercooler and to not worry.

Ok very long story to get to my advice

I always work with and/or create relationships with a manager when I go to do business with a new company. We have a lot invested in our cars and knowing the right people make a difference.

If something gets damaged because of what I do I fully expect to pay the price. But to be bullied because the service manager had a stick up his rear and thought he could does not work for me!

By the way the owner came back and said he fired him, I said holy crap man please tell me you didn't, that's not what I wanted... He started laughing and said just kidding but he had a good talk with him and he will never talk to a customer like that again or he will make a change.

What a great day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
good read

thanks for sharing

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thanks for the story and advice

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Great job man, I love it when informed buyers stand up for themselves.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Great story

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
I never understood why some managers can be such pricks especially when Kia picks up the repair tab. When they side with the customer they can easily earn a loyal customer for life.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Way to go chris71, I cant stand people like that, at least the owner took care of it. Like Chi-Guy said love it when informed buyers stand up for themselves. (y)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
I'm also curious about the noise.... What is the noise your car makes?

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #9
It happens constant when a third party bov or diverter valve installed, occasionally with stock valves.

I tried bot gfb valves and a tial, same exact thing!

Terry from BMG looked at the video and said the tial is operating properly and he suggested that the ECU is not controlling the valve properly, but can't get anyone to really look at it!

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #10
In addition when I remove the vacuum line from the stock you can hear a noise of the vacuumed air escaping the small vacuum line, neither the gfb, not tial had in air built up in the line. Not sure if they are suppose to? That's the only thing different I could diagnose.

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #11
Update...at dealer getting brakes and rotors replaced. The service manager won't even look at me but owner came up to me. I went over what I would do to overhaul his service department and he, his main sales manager and I are having lunch to discuss in detail.
Needless to say I have a much better feeling about continuing to do business here now :)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Keep us updated.

Were you brakes being replaced for pulsation?

Front and rear or front only?

I am having my front rotors replaced I'm a few days, I do not know if they are replacing with an updated part or the exact same thing that's already on there.

Not warped, pad deposits is what I believe to be the issue causing the pulsation.

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #13
Just front, pads and rotors were replaced. Little pulsing when put on brakes and steering wheel would shake. They had to get the brakes from Kia and was told they are updsted rotors.
Braking is perfect now:)

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #14
Your brakes look nasty by way:)

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD Cermaic/Red
I never understood why some managers can be such pricks especially when Kia picks up the repair tab. When they side with the customer they can easily earn a loyal customer for life.
People that have never had authority/power sometimes let it get to their heads. I have trained many managers and have seen this far too many times, a little mentoring and advise goes a long way.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Had my 2 front rotors replaced yesterday,
Tech took my car for a virtual joyride and returned the car to me ..... He did like 20 aggressive stops and then parked the car.... While walking away he noticed the brakes were smoking, so he jumped back in and did a slow lap around the building and then parked it in the shop,... And you can plainly here him talking to his buddies about how he got the brakes "NICE AND HOT" and hid it back in the shop so the customer would not see..... Waited minutes then parked it outside.

I was in the waiting room - waiting, not knowing any of this.

I have not shared the video with anyone yet.

Back to the story, (before I reviewed the dashcam)

I left the shop and upon my first stop, noticed the vibration is no longer from the front, but now can feel from the rear exclusively.

Returned to the dealer in 2 minutes and arranged to go for a test drive with the tech.....

I demonstrated this - on the first stop.

He acknowledged the pulsation and I asked

How did you not notice this on your test drive?

I was concentrating on the front rotors...

Ok whatever, I got them to replace the rear rotors as well right away (timing was opportunistic).

Now everthing is perfect - for now. But I am not a fan of all this frustration. And watching the dash cam video irritates me.

Also, I confirmed the rotors that were replaced are NOT updated parts, and there are no updated pads...

So the probability of this returning is pretty high.

Sigh

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #17
Wow...that sucks!! I’ve spent 2.5 hours of drive time, three trips to go rotors turned twice and replaced. If I have to go back again in 5k miles I will seriously freak:)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
There is no real reason why you wouldn't have to...

If all the parts are the same. Then why wouldn't it happen again.....