Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Oil Change - Longevity & Warranty

Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hey everyone!

I own a 2020 Stinger GT RWD as my signature says.

Car is coming up on 6000 miles pretty soon. I am following the maintenance book to the letter when it comes to intervals by mileage or months, but, I am a bit confused about the type of oil I should be using.

I have been reading different threads and posts here and some information seems to be conflicting. There are posters saying that if you don't use the oil that Kia says is required then you are potentially going to run into denied warranty claims if certain problems occur. I understand though that under the USA law they must prove that the problem was caused by the specific variable in question. I am seeing different brands and grades being used in addition to different quart amounts which is rather confusing for me.

With that said, I want to just confirm (for my own sanity and "anxiety") by asking people here who are professionals and of course far better educated than myself in this subject matter.

Can I use six quarts of Mobil1 Synthetic 5w-30 for my vehicle or should it be the 5w-40? Is six quarts enough if I am following the interval changes of 6000 miles or use seven quarts? The quarts recommended really seem to vary from what people say in different threads.

Thank you everyone so much!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Online forums are good to point you into he right direction.

But the owners manual is your Bible for what you really need. The specifications are all listed quite clearly there.

The qty - use the dipstick and keep the level between the min and max.

The small differences you see online regarding the volume of oil are likely due to some changing just the oil, and some changing the oil and filter (you drain slightly more oil if you change both).

There is quite a wide range of viscosities permitted based on your climate whereever you live. (All detailed in the manual).

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Understood! Thank you!

I guess my confusion stems from that the fact that our vehicles are all the same when it comes to the engine/turbo/transmission and yet depending if you're in Canada or the USA or even where in Canada or the USA the owner's manual or dealerships all seem to vary on what oil to use.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Understood! Thank you!

I guess my confusion stems from that the fact that our vehicles are all the same when it comes to the engine/turbo/transmission and yet depending if you're in Canada or the USA or even where in Canada or the USA the owner's manual or dealerships all seem to vary on what oil to use.
Dealerships, yes for sure. They are profit centers with 1 main focus.

The manuals though, what are you seeing differently?

There are some minor variances, but what are you seeing that is different for your location/climate?

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
We went with 7 quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30 and will do the next oil change in 5000 miles... possibly even 4500 to be on the safer side...

This was at a local trusted mechanic that my buddy has known for years...

The guy was legit and very good...

:)

Reactions
City
mountain lakes
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Sringer GT AWD
We went with 7 quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30 and will do the next oil change in 5000 miles... possibly even 4500 to be on the safer side...

This was at a local trusted mechanic that my buddy has known for years...

The guy was legit and very good...

:)
I thought synthetic oils allows cars to drive further between oil changes. Typical modern cars can go up to 5,000 miles with regular oil. I would think you can go up to 10k with synthetic.... I'm only at 4k right now on my stinger. My dealer suggested coming in for a change at 7,000.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
I rather get an oil change every 5000 miles even if I am using top of the line expensive synthetic for peace of mind since I plan to keep the car over ten years... but I completely agree that I am probably being over cautious... Love this car though... Wanna take perfect care of it! :D

Reactions
City
mountain lakes
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Sringer GT AWD
Agreed. Nothing wrong with a more frequent oil change. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything that may be particular for the stinger.

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Agreed. Nothing wrong with a more frequent oil change. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything that may be particular for the stinger.

For sure!