Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

3.3TT / Oil Change - Standard Options?

Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hey everyone! Happy Friday! :)

I know this is a long post but I am VERY grateful for everyone's time and help! Thank you in advance! :)

Car is a 2020 Stinger GT RWD. We have owned the car for about FIVE AND A HALF months and the vehicle currently has a little under 3500 miles on the odometer.

I have a few quick questions.

1 - When should I do my first oil change? I understand that the manual suggests 5000 miles but I am also reading that an oil change is recommended every six months. I am asking more about the timeline since the car is driven at least three times a week for either local round trips of around 10 miles or on shorter road trips that are normally around 100 miles or so.

2 - How much should an oil change normally cost and what specific brand of oil will the dealership be adding?

3 - What brand of oil do the forums suggest?

4 - I have not had an oil change performed yet. The car was purchased in Florida but I am currently in New York. Is there a way to have the first oil change free? I ask because I had to bring in the car twice for warranty work within a 3 week period and 100 mile driving difference and was thinking about calling the "special Stinger corporate line" and asking. What does everyone think?

5 - I do not want to mess up the maintenance and ruin my warranty coverage or have it denied. Due to COVID19 I am not driving as often but of course I want to make sure I am maintaining my vehicle correctly whether maintenance is by mileage or months. Is it best to go by miles or months?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hey everyone! Happy Friday! :)

I know this is a long post but I am VERY grateful for everyone's time and help! Thank you in advance! :)

Car is a 2020 Stinger GT RWD. We have owned the car for about FIVE AND A HALF months and the vehicle currently has a little under 3500 miles on the odometer.

I have a few quick questions.

1 - When should I do my first oil change? I understand that the manual suggests 5000 miles but I am also reading that an oil change is recommended every six months. I am asking more about the timeline since the car is driven at least three times a week for either local round trips of around 10 miles or on shorter road trips that are normally around 100 miles or so.

2 - How much should an oil change normally cost and what specific brand of oil will the dealership be adding?

3 - What brand of oil do the forums suggest?

4 - I have not had an oil change performed yet. The car was purchased in Florida but I am currently in New York. Is there a way to have the first oil change free? I ask because I had to bring in the car twice for warranty work within a 3 week period and 100 mile driving difference and was thinking about calling the "special Stinger corporate line" and asking. What does everyone think?

5 - I do not want to mess up the maintenance and ruin my warranty coverage or have it denied. Due to COVID19 I am not driving as often but of course I want to make sure I am maintaining my vehicle correctly whether maintenance is by mileage or months. Is it best to go by miles or months?
1. Considering your mileage and the amount of time you have been driving, I suggest doing your first oil change right away. I did mine at 5k miles, but I got that in a month and a half and I did a lot of highway miles. No problems so far.

2. dealership oil change costs anywhere from $30-$100. Depends on the dealer, or how much you fight it. lol
Not sure what type of oil they use, probably also depends on the dealer

3. Brand recommendations vary between forum members. I personally use Valvoline SynPower and haven’t had any issues with it in any of my 5 cars for the last 10 years of use. Just measure sure whatever brand you choose has the correct ILSAC GF-5 rating.

4. That’s an interesting question. Maybe any of the forum members that work at dealerships could answer that.

5. The recommended interval for the Stinger is 6 months/6,000 miles I believe. I stay at 5 months/5,000 miles. Keep any and all receipts even if you do the maintenance yourself if you are worried about warranty coverage

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Thank you! :)

I just took a look at the owner's manual and it says either 6000 miles or 12 months for the oil change depending on which one comes first.

I guess since I drive a few times each week and it is a mix between local driving and longer highway drives I should be fine it seems.

I will see where I am living in the next few months and call local Kia shops and negotiate from there. :)