Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Oil Change Annoyance...with Solution!

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Currently a little frustrated at all of the prep work needed to drain the oil. KIA was nice to include an access hole for the filter but completely skipped over the drain plug.

Here’s my fix in process.
1) Fumoto F106SX M14-1.5 SX Series Drain Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HP5V092/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rj7NCb97S7W25

F0ADDE93-253C-4E00-8CEB-00B8854FDBA3.jpg

2) 29121-J5000, Access cover

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-0~29121j5000.html

This will finish on the next oil change, I have the cover on order now and plan to mirror the front splash shield cut out. This way the panels can stay up while access is allowed.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Agree. There is no access to the drain plug without removing the rear splash shield.
However I find that the opening to remove the oil filter is still not wide enough to maneuver the cartridge out and the wrench.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
It’s definitely a tight squeeze but the access makes it “do-able”. I found better success during tightening with an universal adapter on the socket extension. Haven’t spotted an OEM option to expand that access hole...yet

I’ll look at other mfg’s access solutions. The splash shield looks pretty easy to cut so enlarging the hole to match someone else’s cover shouldn’t be too hard.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
Oddly the angle of that valve pic makes it look like the plug is dug into the oil pan.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #5
Finally got to work on this project. Don’t make the same mistake I did, DO NOT USE paint to mark a template. The splash shield just absorbs it and makes a mess of it all.

All in all, perfect $7 project for the Stinger.

Tools needed
Utility Blade with new blade
Drill bit

Attachments

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
excellent solution. The valve does make life easier when changing the oil.
However I still find the that there is not enough space in the filter opening to maneuver the the cartridge out or turn the ratchet comfortably.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #8
It’s definitely still a pain, the only solution I can think of is to buy a second splash shield to cut a “plug” out from to be able to enlarge the access hole. Notched properly it should work.