Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Leather protector

Wull

Reactions
I have been researching product to clean and protect the leather interior and came across this article. Can anyone recommend a leather protector (not conditioner)? Seem LTT products are in England and it's a little pricey to be shipping to Canada. Based on other post only old cars need leather conditioner.

Posted by a lady named Judy from LTT

"Nappa leather is simply a name now rather than a type of leather. Originally nappa leather was from sheep but it is now used for leather to give it a sense of quality. Your leather may be full grain but is more than likely pigment coated as with most car leather.

Most auto leather is matt when it is new and looked after correctly. Leather with a shiny or glossy look is usually due to build up of dirt together with abrassion (constant sliding in and out). This is often exacerbated by the use of 'conditioners' that contain waxes and/or oils which only sit on the surface and attract more dirt.

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

This type of leather is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new (Auto Ultra Protect)
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product (Auto Ultra Maintain)
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year (Auto Ultra Foam)

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Any products out there?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I use Lexol. I love it. Once I discovered using a horsehair brush with it, I’ve grown to love it even more

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Look up ColourLock. They make leather specific products and they are amazing. Been using them for 2 years, and with great results on the Nappa leather of the Stinger.

Great two part video explaining all about leather and how to clean it and maintain it properly

OP
W

Wull

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Thanks all looking into them now

Reaper333

Reactions
City
Fort Belvoir
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT2 AWD
I dont think it really makes a difference what product you use as long as you are using something to keep it protected. Im just going to use lexol. Has worked great for me for years and is easily available. Although I do like chemical guys products as well.

Reactions
City
Hercules
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
I use Griots Garage leather conditioner. It also has a new leather scent that keeps your interior always smelling like new.

Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
GT2
Judy's insights about leather care are valuable, especially when it comes to coated leather. To maintain the appearance and longevity of your leather, a good leather protector is essential. It's great that you're considering local options to avoid high shipping costs.
You might want to explore local automotive supply stores or online retailers in Canada for leather protection products. Look for those that are water-based and designed for coated leather, as Judy pointed out.
Additionally, if you're keen on learning more about leather care, the Von Baer blog is worth checking out. They provide helpful information that could guide you in finding the right product for your specific needs.

Last edited: