Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Canadian Stinger owners to get free maps updates!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Looks like there's some truth to this thread...
Just got this from KIA

Dear Dave,Thank you for being a loyal Kia customer. We wanted to let you know that your Kia Stinger with VIN KNAE55LC1JXXXXXXX now includes map update notifications, free of cost, via our new Kia Navi Subscription Service.Kia Navi conveniently reminds you of navigation updates throughout the year. Eligible owners like yourself have access to two downloadable navigation map updates annually for 10 years after the purchase of your vehicle! Once you subscribe, you don't need to worry about checking for updates — Kia Navi will notify you directly when there's an update to the software.
Roads and points of interest across Canada are constantly changing, which makes it important to always have an updated navigation system. In addition to saving you time on unfamiliar routes, the navigation software will also update places like new restaurants, banks, hotels and other locations that tend to change frequently.There are two ways to get the update:
1)Download it yourself online by following the instructions here.
2)You can have a dealer do it for you*. Click here to find your nearest dealer and schedule a service appointment.​

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
maps free.png

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
maps 2.png

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
maps 3.png

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD Limited
Thread Starter #26
Hey Everyone,

Kia Canada was quicker than expected!
Just got the email notification now!

Thank you for being a loyal Kia customer. We wanted to let you know that your Kia Stinger... now includes map update notifications, free of cost, via our new Kia Navi Subscription Service.

I'm downloading it now and will see what's new!

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #27
Got mine updated today. It does take a bit to download and install but it is free!
There are different improvements as detailed by Djltoronto, plus something that I believe was already present in the US market, the capability of receiving and replying to SMS (text messages) through the infotainment system and voice memo recording: not something I'll be probably using often but at least it is there.
1573259621793-1-1.jpg

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Bluetooth texting was already there since v.12.5. Very poor functionality compared to other cars.

The media display still can't show you the name of a song longer than a few characters because the dumb graphic is blocking the space where the title should be and the title does not scroll.

I can confirm the Google voice search works in v.13.5.

I can also confirm that my HD Radio Traffic function is now broken (similarly to the way the voice search was broken in v.13--inexplicably). Can anyone else who lives in a place with HD radio (major cities) confirm whether the traffic info was working or not both prior to and after updating to v.13.5. Assuming it's a bug, it will take them at least 6 months to release another update :(

The entire process of combining the maps and UI updates into a single process is beyond ludicrous. Other vehicles can update the UI issues (like voice search or the 10 other bugs this thing has had over the life of the car) in a manner of days once discovered. We have to wait at least half a year and that's assuming they acknowledge it and fix it right away. If not, it could be a year or more.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
The media display still can't show you the name of a song longer than a few characters because the dumb graphic is blocking the space where the title should be and the title does not scroll.
The media does scroll.... But ONLY IN PARK.
Stupid. I know. But it works when parked.

Can't comment on the rest at the moment

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #30
I agree with you guys about the media titles scrolling only in park, it's stupid.
Texting wasn't available on my system until now.
For HD radio traffic haven't verified yet.

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #31
Not sure if I haven't noticed before or it is a feature introduced with the latest update: when driving at a speed lower than 15km/h, turning the 360 camera on lowers the media system volume, same as when we put the car in reverse.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
That's actually a selectable option now. You can turn it on and off.

Something about volume priority.

Last edited:
OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #33
Just noticed that the connected phone battery symbol is gone from the display after the update. Polish_20191117_080902993.jpg

Wolfman

Reactions
has anyone in Toronto have the dealer install the update? my dealer was not aware of the offer and was not trained to do it?

T1tr

Reactions
City
Etobicoke
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2020 Thunder Grey tinger GT limited
has anyone in Toronto have the dealer install the update? my dealer was not aware of the offer and was not trained to do it?
Did your deal update your Nav map?
Did you get your map updated by your dealer?

Wolfman

Reactions
Did your deal update your Nav map?

Did you get your map updated by your dealer?
Yes. My dealer was able to do it in April after much to and fro with KIA Canada. Seems no one had informed the dealers of the offer nor given instructions on how to do this. The dealer was also liable if any thing went wrong which was my personal fear if I tried to do it myself. The dealers also had to purchase a universal update stick. I guess the assumption was that we would all do it online. it was a very quick and easy update.