Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Canadian Stinger owners to get free maps updates!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD Limited
Hello Everyone!

Not sure if you already are aware of this: it looks like very soon in Canada maps updates for the Stinger will be free.

Found out yesterday while I was on the phone with Kia Canada and asking how I could get a free update from the website (as it clearly shows that we need to pay for it): the gentleman who was assisting me suggested me not to proceed and wait about one month or so when we will be receiving an email from them with info about the free updates.

Hope it helps! PhotoEditor_20191030_094945683.jpg
Cheers.

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I wonder if that's a Canada only update, hopefully it happens to the U.S. Stingers as well....

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Great news for you guys up there. Dealer down here wanted to charge me $200

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
I wonder if that's a Canada only update, hopefully it happens to the U.S. Stingers as well....
I can't answer about Kia USA... I know there are things that apply for both Canada and USA. You may want to call them to make sure.

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Great news for you guys up there. Dealer down here wanted to charge me $200
Yes, that's basically the price (in CAD) listed on the website.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Can't wait to update mine.

Hello Everyone!

Not sure if you already are aware of this: it looks like very soon in Canada maps updates for the Stinger will be free.

Found out yesterday while I was on the phone with Kia Canada and asking how I could get a free update from the website (as it clearly shows that we need to pay for it): the gentleman who was assisting me suggested me not to proceed and wait about one month or so when we will be receiving an email from them with info about the free updates.

Hope it helps! View attachment 3256
Cheers.

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Can't wait to update mine.
Mine too.
I think an updated map would have saved me to fail a prohibited left turn downtown Toronto, after they changed the road signs.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
This is great news. I hope this happens

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Hello Everyone!

Hope it helps! View attachment 3256
Cheers.
That's quite the old version you are running.

Mine today is version 13.

I will have version 13.5 next week.

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
That's quite the old version you are running.

Mine today is version 13.

I will have version 13.5 next week.

Yeah, in fact I can't wait to see the new update.
Are you getting yours for free?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Yeah, in fact I can't wait to see the new update.
Are you getting yours for free?
Indeed I am.

This will be my second update - free of charge.

My first update - to version 13, was a courtesy which Kia Canada gave me.
But the version 13 completely breaks the online local search functionality. It just errors every time it is used. Kia has been owing me an update for quite a while.

If you are curious - the issue that plagues version 13 is documented here, in my crappy video, which has been shared with Kia Canada for my complaint.

https://streamable.com/j6m3d

Essentially, the voice recognition from the steering wheel button- almost always works, but it searches the SD card only.
The search from the mirror button - is supposed to be an on-line live local search. - but completely broke in V13.

I will have version 13.5 either late this week or early next week. (It's in the mail)

Tracking History
October 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES on October 30, 2019 at 8:18 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
October 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
Indeed I am.

This will be my second update - free of charge.

My first update - to version 13, was a courtesy which Kia Canada gave me.
But the version 13 completely breaks the online local search functionality. It just errors every time it is used. Kia has been owing me an update for quite a while.

If you are curious - the issue that plagues version 13 is documented here, in my crappy video, which has been shared with Kia Canada for my complaint.

https://streamable.com/j6m3d

Essentially, the voice recognition from the steering wheel button- almost always works, but it searches the SD card only.
The search from the mirror button - is supposed to be an on-line live local search. - but completely broke in V13.

I will have version 13.5 either late this week or early next week. (It's in the mail)

Tracking History
October 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES on October 30, 2019 at 8:18 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
October 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Interesting!
And thank you for the detailed information.
Hopefully the newer update will fix everything.

WestCDA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT Limited AWD
As reported on another KIA forum, the Canadian release of version 13.5 (which was release several weeks after the U.S. version 13.5) fixes the online search accessed via the mirror button, which they broke in 13.0 (y)

Anyone who has 13.0 should contact KIA about getting a free update, as that feature really makes the onboard navigation a pleasure to use - and of course provides navigation prompts in the heads up display as well as the dashboard (vs. 3rd party navigation via Android Auto or Apple Carplay like Google Maps or Waze, which do not).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
As reported on another KIA forum, the Canadian release of version 13.5 (which was release several weeks after the U.S. version 13.5) fixes the online search accessed via the mirror button, which they broke in 13.0 (y)

Anyone who has 13.0 should contact KIA about getting a free update, as that feature really makes the onboard navigation a pleasure to use - and of course provides navigation prompts in the heads up display as well as the dashboard (vs. 3rd party navigation via Android Auto or Apple Carplay like Google Maps or Waze, which do not).
Thank you for the confirmation.

My free upgrade from 13 to 13.5 is due Monday or Tuesday.

I totally agree, the online local search is a valuable tool

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Got my 13.5 maps and software today.

Can confirm, the online search work perfect and is quick and everything it should be.

I wish I could remap my steering wheel voice dictation button to initiate the online search instead.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
With v13.5, there are a few screens and options I don't recall seeing in version 13 and older.

Can specify the auto map zoom by speed settings - cool.

Option to mute navigation directions for 10 seconds

The Bluetooth media screen is much improved.
The Quantum Logic Sound (QLS) is accessible directly from the media screen.

The current song progress bar along the bottom is new.

Last edited:
OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #17
Thanks @Djltoronto
By chance, do you know if they improved the waypoints management?
I found very limiting that you can add only two or three of them. Also, there's no smart waypoints sorting so that you they are automatically arranged based on the distance from your current position. It was something very handy I used to have on my Forte Koup.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Thanks @Djltoronto
I found very limiting that you can add only two or three of them. Also, there's no smart waypoints sorting so that you they are automatically arranged based on the distance from your current position. It was something very handy I used to have on my Forte Koup.
I have never tried more than just my destination..

I will try tomorrow and see if it can smart sort multiple waypoints.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Thanks @Djltoronto
Tried multiple waypoints.

V13.5 allows 2 waypoints + destination.
There is no auto sorting of waypoints - but the sequence can be manually edited fairly easily.

I do not know if this is different from previous versions.

OP
Stinger2019
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #20
Tried multiple waypoints.

V13.5 allows 2 waypoints + destination.
There is no auto sorting of waypoints - but the sequence can be manually edited fairly easily.

I do not know if this is different from previous versions.
Thanks again for the feedback @Djltoronto
I think it is exactly the same and it a shame that this feature is very basic and so limited.

First of all, if we want to plan ahead a trip with different stops, we just have 3 destinations basically.

The other problem, is that if you don't know exactly all the destinations location and how far they are from you and from each other, you may end up driving for a much longer distance than necessary.

Let's say you plan a trip from A, and you want to go to B, C and D (not in a particular order, as long as is distance efficient). The smart way would be:

A 1km - - > B 1km - - > C 1km - - > D
Total = 3km

But without knowing in advance those numbers, and without auto-sort in a smart way, this is what you may end up doing:

A - - > D 3km
D - - > B 2km
B - - > C 1km
Total = 6km

That wouldn't be a big deal for small numbers; but talking about 100km or more, it is indeed a big deal!

Hopefully they will improve it in the future.