Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced more than normal paint chips? Share your pictures

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I'm having the same problem as the micro blue a few posts back. --paint literally coming completely off those two trim pieces from the sunroof to the back glass. The spiderweb one is passenger side. The one that is basically completely gone is driver's.
I should note, I have never let this car go through a car wash, use the 2 bucket method for have washing, built a deionizing filter to rinse the car for no water spots, I blow it dry with a blower I bought specifically for this task, and I have only ever touched it--gently--with microfiber that I hand wash separate from any other clothes for spot detailing. In other words, I absolutely baby this car's paint. This is after 16k miles/1.5 years.
Dealer taking a look Friday.
Now that's a first...Do you use any sort of coating, wax or use any drying aid? (i.e bead maker, hydroblue, etc.)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I have waxed the car, a time or two with quality wax but definitely don't use any drying aid or weird chemicals on the car. No coatings or gimmicky protectants... Just Meguiar's gold class shampoo and very, very pure water. And it's not a first--I found this thread by searching for "paint peeling roof" and found the guy a few posts back who had the exact same issue on his micro blue. His hadn't progressed this far yet, but his both looked like my passengers side, which is what my driver's side looked like A VERY short time ago. Once it starts going, it goes very, very fast.
No other paint issues on the car, really. Just these things completely giving up around 15K miles.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Well it was a first for me at least, hadn't seen that kind of damage before. Looks like whenever they painted the trim at the factory either the surface was not ready for the clear or they rushed the curing time and the clear did not bond properly with the paint.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Well it was a first for me at least, hadn't seen that kind of damage before. Looks like whenever they painted the trim at the factory either the surface was not ready for the clear or they rushed the curing time and the clear did not bond properly with the paint.
Right. This is the other user, and I know my pictures don't look exactly the same, but in person, I've seen mine look exactly like his.

I'm also the user, if anyone remembers, whose dealership completely hosed my side panels on my first oil change. They didn't use the lift points on the frame when they put it on the lift, and crushed my side sills like coke cans. They of course had to fix that, but while they had my car for weeks, they were also hunting down a mysterious rattle/flap that was coming from my roof. They supposedly had Kia reps flying in to work on the mystery of the rattle, and had never heard or seen it before. I caught them in a few lies over the weeks they had my car, and in the end, they claimed that when they replaced my side sills (on the very bottom of the car), the rattle went away (on the very top of the car). Now, although the rattle is definitely gone, I never believed that was the reason. And now I have paint peeling off some trim pieces that could have been the culprit in the first place. --Makes me wonder if there was some damage done up there when they were inspecting and they botched the fix. (They definitely gouged the inside of my door well when it was in the shop that time, so who knows what else...they're not the most careful).

Anyway. It sucks. Hopefully I don't lose my car for longer this time, and there's no resistance to just replacing those like they did with the micro blue guy.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Update: dealership ordered the new parts without question. "You don't want to see that happen on your new car." Ya think?
Also, I talked to my sales guy while I was waiting for service, and he told me he's seen a few of the black ones cracking ON THE LOT, but that they can't do anything about it until someone buys the car, because they can't order replacement parts that aren't associated with an owner.
Both said they haven't seen it as bad as mine yet, but as I said, the time between when it looked like the right side and the left was a very short time. Obvious defect here. I still love this car, but I think it's safe to say Kia has some paint issues to work out.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
They do need to address the issues, at least they fixed the problem with no question asked.👍

Laststing

Reactions
City
Columbia
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I've made a claim with Kia. I got a call from their main representative and he said they had a customer's car in for investigation. He gave a few weeks time for their findings to come out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I made a claim as well and doesn't seem like I am getting anywhere. Looks like this needs to be a class action lawsuit. We pay to much for these cars to have paint cracking. Anyone else having rust issues coming through the paint and chrome?

Attachments

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I made a claim as well and doesn't seem like I am getting anywhere. Looks like this needs to be a class action lawsuit. We pay to much for these cars to have paint cracking. Anyone else having rust issues coming through the paint and chrome?
I’m not having any issues with paint cracking but rust spots I do have. Most of them are being taken care of with iron and fallout remover but it’s going to take multiple applications or maybe an application made by a professional detail shop if they have something stronger

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I have several chips on my ceramic silver 2019 gt2. I plan on showing them to the dealer next time Im there but I doubt that they will do anything about it.

tank4376

Reactions
City
Kathleen
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 KIA Stinger GT1 Mica Blue
I wonder if this is still a thing. Mine is a 2020, driven it on the highway 100 miles back and forth to the airport like 3x. I haven't noticed any noticeable chipping yet. I did paint correct it with mild cleaner wax, swirl remover and ceramic coated it when I first picked it up. So believe you me I would notice a chip. Last weekend I just re applied a better ceramic coating. I have 1400 miles on the car and no chipping yet. I will keep an eye on it now though.

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
I wonder if this is still a thing. Mine is a 2020, driven it on the highway 100 miles back and forth to the airport like 3x. I haven't noticed any noticeable chipping yet. I did paint correct it with mild cleaner wax, swirl remover and ceramic coated it when I first picked it up. So believe you me I would notice a chip. Last weekend I just re applied a better ceramic coating. I have 1400 miles on the car and no chipping yet. I will keep an eye on it now though.

I have a 2019 white gt1. 10k mikes. So far with 10 percent highway driving the chips are minimal. Nothing past the clear coat.

Now that said was at dealer for alignment 2 weeks ago and they scraped bottom lip :(. Didn’t tell me. I saw it next day cleaning. Most of the paint off was under the lip so looking straight you cannot see it.

I cleaned and put touch up paint. I have been so careful at 10k and dealer does it :(. My word against theirs. You can’t see the paint touch up since 98 percent is under the lip.

But...there a tiny crease in very bottom of bumper now right where hit was. Maybe 4 inches. You really have to look for it...in right light you can see it a little.
Oh well just a car...but like a lot of you I have OCD with keeping it “perfect”.

From pic below you can see slight crease. Again you really have to look for it. In direct sunlight you can’t see it.

I think I did good job with touch up paint from pics below. Took days. Slow buildup of paint over 3 days.

Anyone else scrape front lip yet... would make me feel better 😜

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
City
LaRusso
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER
I've got tons of rock chips and I don't drive on the highways that much either.
Anyone from the US , specifically California the want to join me in my 3 year battle to sue KMA over their subpar paint ( chipping , bubbling , delimitation from the body of the car ) I’m a KIA owner and have been compiling information on this issue since 2018. ALL COLORS can join me ! My original fight was only for Pearl white / Snow White but now many colors are effected AND ANY MODEL KIA , including STINGERS . I’ve seen burgundy, black , metallic blue have issues in 2018-2021. I’m going to war and I’m fully backed with a Top Class Action firm now, I have 2 weeks to get my troops together. The complaint is being filed in the Northern district of California due to consumer protection laws but will include all states of owners I can prove have this issue. You can find my page on Facebook @DefectiveKiaPaint ! Thanks

Attachments