Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

Who turns off the Auto Start/Stop feature when they first get in their Stinger?

• Yes

Votes: 62 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
It?s unnoticeable to me in my 2018 too. I honestly wonder if the OP has something wrong with his car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brancky3

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
I haven't been turning it off and I don't mind it but I'm wondering if its harder on the engine...I've always heard that starting is rough on the engine...but maybe that's just when its cold? I have to say, with the 2019 at least, the stopping and restarting is very smooth...almost unnoticeable to me.
Not rough on an engine but rough on starters. Luckily engineers have thought this through and put starters designed for more use in cars with start stop tech. There's literally no downsides to it - you waste gas if you idle for more than like 4 seconds.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT AWD
I turn it off, when I forget most times I cant tell when it cuts off. No lag for me taking off from lights.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
The main reason I turn it off is due to my radar detector. It has a short battery life once the car shuts down but quickly warns me it's going to die. If I don't catch it in time, I have to unplug and plug in the detector again.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
The main reason I turn it off is due to my radar detector. It has a short battery life once the car shuts down but quickly warns me it's going to die. If I don't catch it in time, I have to unplug and plug in the detector again.
same here, annoying AF when my V1 cycles through every time I come to a stop [thumbdown]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
same here, annoying AF when my V1 cycles through every time I come to a stop [thumbdown]
I'm confused. Why is your radar losing power when the engine shuts down? The AC port is powered even when the engine is off...

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I'm confused. Why is your radar losing power when the engine shuts down? The AC port is powered even when the engine is off...
DC power does pause. If I?m charging my phone for example through the 12V cigarette adapter. It pauses charging on auto off. So this would be very annoying for a powered radar detector and battery powered detectors are useless. Personally I stopped using my radar detector a while back and just use Waze.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
mines hardwired

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Huh, for some reason my power doesn't drop. My radar stays powered up the whole time.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Side note here:

I posted in a different thread about pulling the AWD fuse and making an AWD car a RWD car.

I've noticed so far after a couple of days of driving that my auto start/stop stopped stopping so maybe there's some connection here. It's also been really cold so I'll keep playing and update for sure in a couple more days...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Side note here:

I posted in a different thread about pulling the AWD fuse and making an AWD car a RWD car.

I've noticed so far after a couple of days of driving that my auto start/stop stopped stopping so maybe there's some connection here. It's also been really cold so I'll keep playing and update for sure in a couple more days...
Mine stopped ?stopping? once it hit 35 degrees.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Mine stopped ?stopping? once it hit 35 degrees.

False alarm. It still shuts down. LOL

It definitely doesn't do it as often as one of the prerequisites is engine temp.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I'm the person who "pioneered" the technique of jamming a piece of paper in the button.
I've since taken the box out/apart to inspect for options, and confirmed it's a very simple surface mount component micro switch on a circuit board.

Could easily desolder the switch and replace the "normally open" switch with a "normally closed" switch of the same size to reverse operation. 5 minutes, tops...

But I simply cut a small piece of plastic to insert between the button and the switch to keep it pressed, and reassembled, to permanently disable the system with no unsightly shim in the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm the person who "pioneered" the technique of jamming a piece of paper in the button.
I've since taken the box out/apart to inspect for options, and confirmed it's a very simple surface mount component micro switch on a circuit board.

Could easily desolder the switch and replace the "normally open" switch with a "normally closed" switch of the same size to reverse operation. 5 minutes, tops...

But I simply cut a small piece of plastic to insert between the button and the switch to keep it pressed, and reassembled, to permanently disable the system with no unsightly shim in the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You're a mastermind! ;-)

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I think you are confusing the collision avoidance with the start/stop feature that turns off your engine at a stop, then turns it back on when you release the brakes. The reason you can't disable it is due to EPA testing.
I have a 2015 Mini and when you shut off the start/stop it stays off. So I don't think it's any EPA regulation. That's the way they all should be.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I have a 2015 Mini and when you shut off the start/stop it stays off. So I don't think it's any EPA regulation. That's the way they all should be.
Do they stay off in the '18 Mini too?

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Do they stay off in the '18 Mini too?
I did some poking around and it seems like on the US models it can be shut off and stays off, but on the EU models it cannot be turned off. That makes sense because the US is less regulation happy. Maybe Kia just figures it's cheaper to make one version for all.

But I'm not 100% sure I just know Obama loved regulations and Trump hates them. I found this article about getting rid of fuel economy requirements. Although if I were a car manufacturer I'd probably not change course figuring the next president might be a SJW liberal lunatic and put the regs right back.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...have-spurred-advances-in-cars-fuel-efficiency

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
lolol...obama [doorpeek]
I did some poking around and it seems like on the US models it can be shut off and stays off, but on the EU models it cannot be turned off. That makes sense because the US is less regulation happy. Maybe Kia just figures it's cheaper to make one version for all.

But I'm not 100% sure I just know Obama loved regulations and Trump hates them. I found this article about getting rid of fuel economy requirements. Although if I were a car manufacturer I'd probably not change course figuring the next president might be a SJW liberal lunatic and put the regs right back.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...have-spurred-advances-in-cars-fuel-efficiency

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
There are times (very rarely) when I prefer the auto stop option-like when I KNOW it will be a long red light or delay. But I would prefer the default condition to be OFF, and then i opt to enable it. You know this has to be a very simple line in the code, but someone needs to find out how to flash it into the PCM.

I understand the "light touch" on the brake pedal but there are times when that doesn't work too well (like when coming to a stop while traveling down hill). I agree that the car restarts pretty smoothly, but if you need power, say when making a left turn, it is a bit nerve racking when the car has to restart, shift into gear and accelerate while there may be oncoming traffic.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
As soon as I get in the car, you really don't save that much gas unless you sit in one spot for 5 minutes or longer.