Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Remote Start!

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
It's hard on heated seat elements to have them heating without someone in the seat to soak up that heat.
I had a hard time understanding this. Now, there may be a reason that a seat heater without a person sitting on it is "hard" on the unit. However, soaking up the heat can't be the reason in my mind. A person is a heat source when it's below 90-some degrees while 45 degree or lower air would soak up much more heat much more quickly.

TxSam

Reactions
State
MT
Country
United States
It's hard on heated seat elements to have them heating without someone in the seat to soak up that heat.
I could see how that might be an issue, but I would also think the engineers would take that into consideration.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I could see how that might be an issue, but I would also think the engineers would take that into consideration.
Maybe, but do we think that GE plans for customers to leave the refrigerator open and walk away? Maytag plan on customers running the microwave with no food in it for hours?

I'm not saying that it's a guarantee for failure...

TxSam

Reactions
State
MT
Country
United States
Maybe, but do we think that GE plans for customers to leave the refrigerator open and walk away? Maytag plan on customers running the microwave with no food in it for hours?

I'm not saying that it's a guarantee for failure...
I'm following you. It does have a timer as well, so it won't run indefinitely. It's like 10-15 mins max. Also, if you have low fuel it won't start or if it hits the low fuel level while running in remote start mode, it will shut-off.

Obviously, as it relates to what Kia is offering, it's all about the cost v. customer wants v. what the customer is willing to pay for the convenience. The technology is out there. It's not a deal breaker for me one way or the other. I was just kind of surprised that, at least on the top level Stinger (GT2), it wasn't standard/optional equipment.

kcnodak

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Has anyone installed an after market remote start on their Stinger that uses a phone app to start the car from anywhere? We test drove a new Stinger with remote start, but ended up buying a different one and neglected to ask about remote start. Consequently, we will have to add one. Since UVO doesn't appear to be available, I thought I would look into after market alternatives.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Has anyone installed an after market remote start on their Stinger that uses a phone app to start the car from anywhere? We test drove a new Stinger with remote start, but ended up buying a different one and neglected to ask about remote start. Consequently, we will have to add one. Since UVO doesn't appear to be available, I thought I would look into after market alternatives.
Last time I checked, none of the after market companies had a system compatible with the Stinger yet.

I'll check again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Sabs

Reactions
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
'19 GT2 RWD Ceramic/Red
Disappointed to hear the car turns off if any of the doors are opened. Does the brake pedal need to be held down while pushing the start button to start it? If I could at least reach in to push the button rather than having to sit down and press the pedal that would be nice. Otherwise, it would be a hassle to me. I'd like to cool the car off, load the kids in the car while the AC is still running, and then get in.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Disappointed to hear the car turns off if any of the doors are opened. Does the brake pedal need to be held down while pushing the start button to start it? If I could at least reach in to push the button rather than having to sit down and press the pedal that would be nice. Otherwise, it would be a hassle to me. I'd like to cool the car off, load the kids in the car while the AC is still running, and then get in.
Yes, the brake pedal always has to be pressed to start a car with push to start.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, after researching, I cannot find an after market remote that is available for the Stinger yet.

Zeke

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Hey Guys! Newbie here. I had to join this forum just to respond to this thread, as i may be able to add some insights to it, though i have been perusing it since last year and it is filled with a lot of information on the Stinger, kudos to you all!!

But in reference to the remote start key fob. I bought and installed one in a Kia Sorento SXL 2016 when it first came out. I also hated carrying both remotes in my hand, and was so glad to use just one so i only use the OEM all the time.
However, there is a silver lining; in my Kia Sorento, when you remote start the car with the OEM key (or even the dealer add on original Kia accessory remote start fob, it does the same thing), you have 15 seconds to get into your car, depress the brake, and hit the start button inside the car. If you follow this sequence, the car will actually NOT turn off; but you'll be able to engage the transmission, radio, AC comes on, and you can actually drive the car. I know! 15 seconds from remote start with either key fob, or using the OEM key!

If 15 seconds passes, and you haven't done as above, then the car automatically switches off. Also, if within the 15 seconds, you enter the car, and depress the brake, try to move the transmission from park to drive, W/O hitting the start button, the car switches off.

Now 15 seconds obviously is so short, that remote starting the car from afar if it'll take more than 15 seconds before you get in, makes the whole effort useless. And 15 seconds is not enough to warm your seats up enough to make a difference in the winter, or in the rain, or cool your seats in the summer. My Honda Pilot Elite will keep running for 15 mins if you don't hit the start button inside the car to engage the transmission, and everything else, till it shuts itself off. So Kia has not figured out remote start yet well enough.

Your remote start key fob looks like the same one i have on my Sorento, and i expect it'll do the same thing in the stinger, so please go ahead and try, give us feedback! Remember, 15 seconds from remote start with either key fob till when the car shuts off, or you gain access inside, depress the brake, and press the start button inside the car for the car to be able to move. If it works....you're welcome!!

I'm going to try a factory installed remote start red kia stinger 2018 hopefully this weekend, to see if there's any difference in the remote start compared to the dealer installed one.

I hope to pick up a blue GT2 2018 stinger this last week of October/1st day of November-last sale day of the month, see if that pressure will increase my negotiating power with my local dealer. It's been in their showroom since July. Lease incentives totals $11,700-the AWD cash, loyalty discount,and lease bonus. That is a lot of money off a brand new car, me thinks. Then i'll just turn right around and buyout. If i can get the price right-so far he wants $49,500, i need him to be $1500-2,000 below that, though he's added a lot of stuff-port installed puddle lights, tint, wheel locks, all weather mats, splash guards, cargo tray etc. Now we're stalking each other, seeing who will budge first. Can't wait!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
That is not the case with the Stinger remote start. Vehicle will ALWAYS shut down when the door is opened, regardless of time.

It's like that because there is a module that is needed with vehicles with smart keys to fool the computer into starting the vehicle without the presence of the key in the vehicle. It takes the after market manufacturers of these systems a long time to "crack the coding" of a new or very redesigned car. The after market systems will have it sometime within the next year or so.

Strtaylor

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thought of something. I leave my spare key in the vehicle center console. (Only when I am at one of our other dealerships working) I have remote started the vehicle and opened the door without it turning off right away but it does turn of as soon as I sit down with the original fob. I would assume that it is picking up that my spare set is in the vehicle until the original set crosses the barrier. That being said once I use my original set to lock the vehicle even with my spare in the car the door handle buttons will not work to unlock the car without the original set being present. I know this is probably a confusing right up and utterly pointless but I bet there is a way to leave your remote start set in the house and then drive off without shutting the car down completely.