Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Remote Start!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It is a "Security" feature. There are some skilled people that can find their way into a running car even when its locked. Hell they even do it when is not even running. So I can appreciate the extra layer of "security" however, I agree that the implementation, on the Kia's system, is not the best as it takes a toll on the already overloaded starter.

Quick question, does the Auto start feature automatically turns back on after the car is shut off or does it remember the last setting?

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Thread Starter #22
It is a "Security" feature. There are some skilled people that can find their way into a running car even when its locked. Hell they even do it when is not even running. So I can appreciate the extra layer of "security" however, I agree that the implementation, on the Kia's system, is not the best as it takes a toll on the already overloaded starter.

Quick question, does the Auto start feature automatically turns back on after the car is shut off or does it remember the last setting?
Unfortunately, you have to press the little button on the center console every time you start the car. This is my first vehicle with auto stop/start and I'd say that it works very well with a few minor annoyances:

1. The biggest annoyance is when I am pulling into my garage. I'll pull in and when I stop, the car shuts off. Then I shift to park, and in doing so, the car starts... so I can then press the button and shut it off again. I'm sure after some time, I will remember to hit the button before I get to my driveway, but a little piece of me dies every time I have to run this little drill. Again, I hope the starter on this thing is over-engineered.

2. When I'm at a red light in the wrong land and need to make a quick move in front of someone. I'm not generally an a$$hole, so this is pretty rare. It's easy enough to mitigate. When it shuts off, I'll lift my foot a little and the car will start. Once it does that, it won't shut off again at the same stopping place.

Other than those two situations, it works perfectly as intended and saves me some fuel and starts immediately when I lift my foot on the brake even slightly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if with some programming, after the ECU code has been broken, the feature could be changed to remain off even after shutting off the car.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
The engine shut off after you unlock the door isn't unique to Kia, my Mercedes does the exact same thing. MB claims its an anti theft feature.
Lexus too.

Kevsim

Reactions
State
CO
Country
Canada
Hi.. I'm new to the forum and have a new stinger on the way... As far as the remote start I'm so happy Canadians get the uvo app for remote start.. My last 2 vehicles had this ( Ford and jeep) and when you live in a deep freeze 6 months of the year you appreciate starting your vehicle for anywhere you have cell coverage.. Like an airport or hockey game.. I can't go back to 150ft range starters and paying a yearly fee is well worth it.. So we get remote start, uvo, and we pay less than US for our GT's.. Why don't more Americans come across the border and buy? Your dollar would save you 20% well worth the import hassle? Or am I missing something?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
When i remeber well, it was the warranty whats the issue

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
Does anyone else's car shut OFF after using the remote start once you press UNLOCK on the fob or door?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
That?s what it supposed to do.
Guess you've never had remote start.

Normally, you unlock get in and push button to go. If you push the brake it shuts off.
No remote start shuts off with doors being unlocked.

So... anyone else seeing this on theirs?

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Thread Starter #30
Mine shuts off when I open the door.. not when I unlock it.

But then again, I?m usually using the button on the door to unlock. Since there isn?t a dedicated ?start? button on the key fob, this could just be the process for cancelling remote start.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
These days the doors have to be locked to remote start the car as well as keep it running. Unlocking the door will shut it off.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
These days the doors have to be locked to remote start the car as well as keep it running. Unlocking the door will shut it off.
This is not so much the case actually. Many remote starts work after the door is opened. They DO have to be locked in order to start.

As for the Stinger, I honestly think that it's probably a shortcoming of Kia rushing the remote start for the Stinger. It takes time for the companies that make the modules to crack the software and make the systems work properly. None of the aftermarket companies that write the software for these modules have it done yet.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
This is not so much the case actually. Many remote starts work after the door is opened. They DO have to be locked in order to start.
Not on my MB, doors have to be locked, once you unlock it the car shuts off.

TxSam

Reactions
State
MT
Country
United States
My 2016 Ram with remote start works like this: Doors locked, engine starts. Unlock and open the door (engine still runs), you must have the key FOB in the car, press the brake and press the Start button. Shifter will not work if any of that criteria is not met or if not done in the correct sequence. If for some reason, someone were able to override all those features, the car will stop running after a certain time and distance from the FOB. I believe there are proximity sensors in the vehicle that can sense whether the FOB is in the vehicle or outside. While I am a big KIA fan in general and a huge fan of the Stinger, frankly I'm shocked that remote start is not standard, especially on the higher end models. And the fact that works in this manner is a head scratcher. FWIW, my 2012 Chevy Traverse functioned the same way as my new Ram.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
Asked local dealer about it and was quoted $550 for the parts and another $500 for labor...seems a bit high so I'm going to pass for now.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Personally, I can't see the need for a remote start. I have it on my Pontiac G8 GT and I used it once in 10 years just to see if it worked. On cold mornings, letting the engine run at idle before you drive it is not good - you need to warm it up more quickly by driving it which also warms up the transmission fluid, wheel bearings, differential, etc. And I think you have to get into the car to turn on the heated seats (unless they can be programmed to turn on automatically which I doubt). What's the point? I have it and never used it.

TxSam

Reactions
State
MT
Country
United States
... And I think you have to get into the car to turn on the heated seats (unless they can be programmed to turn on automatically which I doubt)...
Actually, both my 2012 Traverse and my 2016 Ram turn on the heated seats if the outside temperature is below something like 45* F. Which is one of the primary reasons I use my remote start. :)

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Actually, both my 2012 Traverse and my 2016 Ram turn on the heated seats if the outside temperature is below something like 45* F. Which is one of the primary reasons I use my remote start. :)
It's hard on heated seat elements to have them heating without someone in the seat to soak up that heat.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
You are actually able to control the climate control, including the seats (hot or cold) via the UVO app on the Stinger, however that option is not available in the US spec stinger but it is available in the Canadian Spec...SMH KIA [rant]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Yep, My F150 does the same. Depending on the setup selected it will turn on the heat, heated seats and the rear defroster if the temps is below 45F. In hot weather the AC turns on. Nice feature to have.