Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Programming Remote Start with Smart Key FOB

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Supposedly if you have the remote start module installed, you can start the Stinger with the stock key FOB without using an additional one.

Anyone else with remote start module installed tried this?

[video=youtube;dChVsjjjwAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChVsjjjwAc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Starting with remote start FOB - Press Start/Stop button once, then within 3 seconds, press and hold Start/Stop button for 2 seconds.

Turning Off then with remote starter - Press and hold Start/Stop button for 2 seconds.

Driving Off - Take-over feature is not available for this vehicle. The engine will shut off when any door, trunk, or tailgate are opened during Remote Start mode.

Starting with Smart Key - Pres button "Lock" and within 3 seconds, Press "Trunk" or "Panic" button on the smart key. Note: The factory key FOB "Panic" function is disabled during Remote Start Mode.

Turning Off - Press "Trunk" or "Panic" button on the smart key.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have the Remote Start option.

With the Remote Start FOB, I can start my car from across the parking lot or from inside my house.

Using the standard FOB, I can start the car from about 50' away.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
I have the Remote Start option.

With the Remote Start FOB, I can start my car from across the parking lot or from inside my house.

Using the standard FOB, I can start the car from about 50' away.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.
Mike, once you program the regular FOB, does it overwrite the Remote Start FOB? Or can you use both simultaneously?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Mike, once you program the regular FOB, does it overwrite the Remote Start FOB? Or can you use both simultaneously?
Either one works. The Optional Remote FOB operates on a different frequency and has a longer operating range. The standard FOB is short range....just like locking the doors.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Either one works. The Optional Remote FOB operates on a different frequency and has a longer operating range. The standard FOB is short range....just like locking the doors.

I'm actually considering this now since you can use one factory fob instead of two, most of the time it'll just be to warm the car in my driveway. What was the total price to install the remote start?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT

Thanks Mike

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I'm actually considering this now since you can use one factory fob instead of two, most of the time it'll just be to warm the car in my driveway. What was the total price to install the remote start?
The remote start option came with my GT2. It was a $495 option.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
My dealer wanted to charge me over $700 to install this including labor.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
My dealer wanted to charge me over $700 to install this including labor.

Dealers are hilarious. I talked to a couple people on FB with the remote start system and they were able to install it at home in less than an hour; it's supposedly THAT easy.

WildBill

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
A CANBUS control module is supposed to be available for the Stinger sometime in early 2019.
For $300 it can do a whole lot more than just remote start but is not what you'd call plug and play like the OEM solution.

I'm waiting to see how that works for people and then I'll likely get one.

2_-_WZAZ7F9_grande.png

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
My 2019 GT1 came with remote start and the salesman an the electronic guru that showed me how to work some of the functions on the dash an of course the electronic guru didn't know you could use the main fob to start the car. About two weeks later the service manager told me about it. So if your car comes with remote start ask your sales guy about it & make sure they show you how to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
I can't get mine to start with the key fob. Remote start fob works.

Shieldzee

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2008 335i Sedan
A few things here. First is that the remote start can be installed by the owner. I would not say that it was easy, but it was not terribly difficult. A buddy and I did it in about an hour. Here is a great thread on another Kia Stinger forum that gives detailed instructions with pictures on how to install the Kia OEM remote start:

https://stingerforum.org/threads/oem-remote-start-installation-how-to.7390/

[MENTION=2168]markstinger[/MENTION] - I had this same problem. What I was doing wrong with the car key fob is that I was pressing "Lock" and the pressing and holding the "Trunk" button. You have to just press and then release "Lock" followed by pressing and releasing "Trunk." Don't hold down "Trunk." Doing that just makes the trunk open. Good luck!

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I can't get mine to start with the key fob. Remote start fob works.
You hit the lock button twice, then you hit the trunk button once.

Don't hold down any of the buttons when you push they.

Welcome to the forums [MENTION=2168]markstinger[/MENTION] and [MENTION=83]Shieldzee[/MENTION].

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1
thanks

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I'm not following is there something extra that needs to be purchased or do all stingers remote start with fob?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I'm not following is there something extra that needs to be purchased or do all stingers remote start with fob?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not all stingers have remote start but if your stinger came with a extra remote start fob you don't have to use that fob, you can use your key fob to start your car.

rudy1267

Reactions
City
Ridley Park
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
Spider55 thank you for the info regarding the regular key fob to start the car. I just had a factory remote start installed and not only did the dealer not tell me about the 2x on the lock and 1x on the trunk, but they didn't seem to know how to really operate the remote fob that they just handed to me. Valuable info and much easier than what they were trying to show me. Thanks again!

fc528e

Reactions
City
Madison
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
My Stinger that I just got home with a few days ago is doing this thing where the alarm goes off if I start and stop the car with the dedicated remote start fob. Starts fine from the dedicated fob, but alarm goes nuts if I use the same dedicated fob to shut it off.

Also, if I start it with the fob then approach the vehicle and pop the trunk or unlock the car, the car just turns off.. Anyone have similar issues?