Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Nonstop rear rattle please help

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
So ever since I picked up my car in 2018 I've always had an annoying rattle coming from what sounds the rear right side of my car. It's hard to explain but it doesn't happen over every bump or rough part in the road but rather when weight is momentarily taken off the shocks like when you come off a speed bump rather than going over. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times and honestly they've tried everything. They removed everything from the rear, from the trunk cover to the spare tire cover, to the spare tire and tools and even drove it with the trunk off. They adjusted the trunk hinges, the trunk latch and extended the rubber stoppers so now the trunk has so much pressure on the trunk latch that I'm uncomfortable with it. This helped for a very short period of time but then came right back like nothing was done. To make it even more confusing tonight I gave one of my heavier Co workers a ride home, we were talking with the radio off and I didn't hear the noise at all until I dropped him off and continued home. I'm honestly out of ideas as to what it could be and I think the shop is too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Any way to get a video of the sound?

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
I'll try to get someone in my car tonight or tomorrow that can sit in tung back. My mic on my phone isn't really picking it up from the front

Reactions
City
Washington
State
DC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1 AWD
There’s a TSB for this I think. Try the TSB thread on here or stingerforum.org. It covers this issue and I’m betting your dealer will follow the TSB if you push them hard enough.

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
Did all that and more. Even did the electrical tape over the threads of the rubber stops and that didn't do anything. I'm starting to think it might be something else back there aside from the trunk especially after it didn't happen when I had a heavier person in the passenger seat. Just looking at it now I don't even see any evidence of any of the trunk pieces rubbing on each other, both the guides and stops look like they haven't been moving against one and other. The only thing that is a little loose is the top of the exterior of the hatch but that wouldn't be making the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
and even drove it with the trunk off.

Are you saying they drove the car with the rear hatch/trunk removed? The glass piece removed, and the noise was still present?

If this is the case, it certainly is not related to the tightness of the harch/trunk .

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
When I brought it up then they confirmed that they heard the same thing, they tried a few adjustments then called me in to take a ride with the technician to see if we still heard it, which we did. Then they took the whole trunk off, drove it, said they didn't hear it. Then put things back on one by one. When I got the car back from that it was maybe 3-4 days without the noise until it came back like nothing was done. At that point I was so annoyed that the car had already been to the shop about 4-5 times for it that I said f*ck it im not brining it back. But now it's getting unbearable. I know it's a hatch, I know I'm going to hear things but I know that this sounds like something is loose and once fixed will be fine and won't be making this annoying noise.
Anyway I could tell if it is something to do with the suspension??

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
When I brought it up then they confirmed that they heard the same thing, they tried a few adjustments then called me in to take a ride with the technician to see if we still heard it, which we did. Then they took the whole trunk off, drove it, said they didn't hear it. Then put things back on one by one. When I got the car back from that it was maybe 3-4 days without the noise until it came back like nothing was done. At that point I was so annoyed that the car had already been to the shop about 4-5 times for it that I said f*ck it im not brining it back. But now it's getting unbearable. I know it's a hatch, I know I'm going to hear things but I know that this sounds like something is loose and once fixed will be fine and won't be making this annoying noise.
Anyway I could tell if it is something to do with the suspension??

If they removed the rear hatch lid "glass" and the noise went away.... Not sure how this could be a suspension noise.

Unless you are thinking the extra weight of the hatch is required to reproduce the noise.

This is an unusual case for sure, but you are going to have to return to the dealer for this fix.

Do they not give you a rental/loaner car when repairing this warranty issue?
If not, they certainly should.

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
Yeah I get a loaner it's just gotten to a very frustrating point

OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
I think I found the issue with mine. I was looking closely at every single spot the trunk meets the car for any signs of rubbing and the only places I found it where on the guides. I took some electrical tape and placed two strips over where I saw the rub marks on the hatch guides and drove around on some roads I normally hear the rattling and knocks and so far I haven't heard them!! I have only taken it down side roads so no yelling yet what will happen at highway speeds but for now it seems to be a fix. Going to go to the shop for normal service in a few weeks and will see if they can be adjusted so the tape isn't needed. Hopefully this helps anyone that's been having the and issue. Kind of annoying that they made part of tung guide out of hard plastic

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
OP
V
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #13
When I first bought the car to them with this issue they said at the time that some cars were needing that service but none didn't but they did it anyway. It had helped for a little while but then came back. Seems the tape had fixed the issue haven't heard one rattle or knock since. Will be taking the car in for routine service soon and will point it out again.

Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
I think I found the issue with mine. I was looking closely at every single spot the trunk meets the car for any signs of rubbing and the only places I found it where on the guides. I took some electrical tape and placed two strips over where I saw the rub marks on the hatch guides and drove around on some roads I normally hear the rattling and knocks and so far I haven't heard them!! I have only taken it down side roads so no yelling yet what will happen at highway speeds but for now it seems to be a fix. Going to go to the shop for normal service in a few weeks and will see if they can be adjusted so the tape isn't needed. Hopefully this helps anyone that's been having the and issue. Kind of annoying that they made part of tung guide out of hard plastic

Well thank you for coming up with a great idea.
I placed two pieces of gorilla tape on each hatch guide, and when going over bumps/rough roads since adding the tape which was a couple of days ago, the metallic rattle is gone.
I am done with the dealer, since I said the problem was probably the infamous hatch rattle that has plagued the 2018/19 model years, but my concerns fell on deaf ears.