Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

new member question

Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT-line
Just picked up a 2020 Stinger GT-line with the turbo I4. I haven't driven a 4 cylinder car in 30+years. I love this car, and I'm excited about some of the mods that are available. My question is this - not exactly sure what I'm hearing when I press the gas pedal when I try to accelerate, sounds like an electrical hissing noise. And only when I press the gas when I'm trying to speed up. Its not an attractive noise, and its coming from the engine compartment. What exactly does the stock turbo or fuel injectors suppose to sound like ? Is that what I'm hearing ? Will this sound improve or go away after upgrading air intake, engine chip tune, and the right spark plugs ?
My wife has a 2020 Kia Optima Turbo, its really quick. And doesn't make this noise when I speed up in her car. Do they have the same engine ? If so I believe her car is much faster/quicker than mine.
Thanks in advance for any advice/answers
-Ray

Reactions
City
Whittier
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia stinger GTS and 2018 GT2
The noise your hearing is the probably a GDI pump, a fuel pump located on top of your valve cover which delivers fuel to your injectors that are noisy on The 4 cylinders, the engine is way different and the turbo are different as well the turbo on the stinger is made by Honeywell it’s a better turbo which supplies more power with the right mods

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome & congratulations, your going to hear a hissing or a whistling noise from a turbo engine plus the fuel pumps are a little noisy in these cars....

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
A tune will improve the performance quite a bit and don't forget the Stinger is a few hundred pounds heavier than the Optima

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
Not sure if the 20's differ too much engine wise but I test drove both the 2019 Optima turbo and the Stinger 2.0 base. Ended up with the Stinger and it sure felt quicker than the Optima. I wasn't thrilled with the Optima's fwd either...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Welcome