Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Love my Stinger, but a few...issues

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Hi all,

Got a new 2018 GT1 AWD with Drivewise a couple months ago. Traded in a 2015 Optima SXL.

I love the Stinger, though I do miss the roominess and the trunk of the Optima (that trunk was immense!).

I've been lurking on a few Stinger forums and I've run into a few issues I wanted to ask you all about to see if you've experienced them as well and if so, what have you done.

Here goes! :)

1. A noise when sun roof fabric is open-and only when it's open it seems. Like a squeaking.
2. I haven't seen this myself-even tho I'm the DD-but my wife has, twice. All the displays went off for 10-20 seconds while driving.
3. TSC. When going around a sharp corner, usually up hill, if the TSC activates, I literally can't go anywhere for about 3-5 seconds until the car figures out whatever it needs to figure out. Very strange and frustrating.
4. For a brand new car the wax job doesn't feel very good. Usually after I wax my own car, it's soft for about 1-2 months, the Stinger wasn't ever "soft".
5. The rain-sensing wipers...SUCK. Out here in the Pacific NW, we get a fair amount of rain, but usually it doesn't rain too hard. The wipers can't seem to figure out what to do and I really wish I just had a "regular" intermittent that could be turned on.
6. The wipers themselves. Since day one have been streaky. Now of course I can get new ones, but these should be new! Plus the optima had the same issue. Every time I got new wipers, about a month later, streaks?x

About to make an appointment to get the wiring recall fixed and would like them to look at some of this stuff as well, but I'm curious if others have had similar issues and what they/you did.

Cheers!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Got a new 2018 GT1 AWD with Drivewise a couple months ago. Traded in a 2015 Optima SXL.

I love the Stinger, though I do miss the roominess and the trunk of the Optima (that trunk was immense!).

I've been lurking on a few Stinger forums and I've run into a few issues I wanted to ask you all about to see if you've experienced them as well and if so, what have you done.

1. A noise when sun roof fabric is open-and only when it's open it seems. Like a squeaking.
2. I haven't seen this myself-even tho I'm the DD-but my wife has, twice. All the displays went off for 10-20 seconds while driving.
3. TSC. When going around a sharp corner, usually up hill, if the TSC activates, I literally can't go anywhere for about 3-5 seconds until the car figures out whatever it needs to figure out. Very strange and frustrating.
4. For a brand new car the wax job doesn't feel very good. Usually after I wax my own car, it's soft for about 1-2 months, the Stinger wasn't ever "soft".
5. The rain-sensing wipers...SUCK. Out here in the Pacific NW, we get a fair amount of rain, but usually it doesn't rain too hard. The wipers can't seem to figure out what to do and I really wish I just had a "regular" intermittent that could be turned on.
6. The wipers themselves. Since day one have been streaky. Now of course I can get new ones, but these should be new! Plus the optima had the same issue. Every time I got new wipers, about a month later, streaks?x

About to make an appointment to get the wiring recall fixed and would like them to look at some of this stuff as well, but I'm curious if others have had similar issues and what they/you did.

Cheers!
I've experienced issues with #1, #4, #5 and #6. I haven't experienced #3 but will start paying closer attention.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
16 Colorado Diesel
#2 and #3 sound like something that I would go to the dealer and see they have update for the computer.... sounds something in the programming.

Devo9er

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
1. I haven't noticed sunroof noise but have only used it a handful of times because the low temps here

2. I haven't noticed the screen reboot or go dark. It does annoy me a bit that the startup disclaimer message seems to hang around a variable amount of time though. It's like it's running on a slow latent background process that loops every 15 seconds or so. Depending on when you actually start the vehicle, you may be closer or further from being able to hit the 'confirm' button to clear the screen. I understand safety regs etc but I really hope an update or ECU crack can remove this altogether someday.

The only other thing that erks me about the screen UI is, why does the music artist info only show like 6 or 8 characters wide? There must be room for 40 wide even with the Nav/Radio side-by-side view (my usual default). Seems like a silly oversight and also probably easily fixed with an update...

3. The TSC has proven to be fairly annoying for me as well. Sometimes even small potholes or steep plane changes from parking to street areas or driveways seems to set it off. I've noticed it seems worse if the wheel is turned more, like pulling out onto a road vs straight line. It can be a real ass clencher if you're trying to accelerate quickly and you seemingly lose all power for a second or two. I would imagine the AWD and wheel speed sensors would know that the other 3 wheels have good traction, it would divert power and you wouldn't skip a beat....Not so much I guess..

4. I've noticed this too although there don't appear to be any noticeable surface flaws. When wiping with a microfiber especially you can feel it almost snag in some spots. In the spring when it warms up I plan to get my wheel and pads out and hit the whole car with some fine cut cleaner, polish and try to smooth it out.

5. I didn't care for the rain sensing settings at first but feel like I've learned to adjust them easier and found a sweet spot. I do think the whole stalk is inverted from what I'm used to in every other car I've driven, so that took a bit to adapt to...

6. 100% agree here. I'm not sure if it's the wipers or the glass surface itself but from day one I haven't been happy with the wiping. When buying and driving a new car, this is often something that I get a strange level of satisfaction from, the flawless wiping of new glass and quality blades. I thought the glass maybe had some residue so I cleaned it a few times and wiped the blade edges down themselves. The water just doesn't seem to bead as well. I did coat with rain-x recently and that has helped a bit...Maybe someone else has installed different blades and had better success?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
#1 is a big annoying factor for me too.

I agree with [MENTION=1684]Devo9er[/MENTION] on all other points.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
16 Colorado Diesel
Coming from my Diesel Colorado... these wipers feel like I hit the lottery, THOSE suck!

OP
R

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Thank you all so much for making me feel like I'm NOT crazy! :D

The next question, have any of you gone to the dealer and had them look at any of these things? And more importantly have they done anything to fix or at least make them better?

It's really cool to be able to talk to you all from so many different parts of the US, some of these items I was curious if they were weather dependent. :)

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Ive gone to the dealer a couple times complaining about the sunroof noise, finally gave up when the dealer couldn't fix it. If your car is brand new have the dealer replace the wipers, they'll do it under warranty like mine.

OP
R

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the tip!

Did the dealer make the sunroof noise any better at least?

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Hi all,

Cheers!
Interesting. I haven?t experienced any of these issues except #4. I had the whole fader issue that was reported here earlier last year and it was sorted with a new head unit, so perhaps that new head unit also resolved item #2. Maybe I haven?t driven it hard enough to experience #3, but in terms of the wipers, they?ve been excellent through some very bad storms, one in which many folks pulled to the side of the road to stop driving, and I didn?t feel the need to do that. I?ve actually been very impressed with the wipers (coming from a 2017 Golf R).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
I haven't had any of those issues. Dead silent, no creaks or squeaks. My wipers surprised me with how well they wiped, I like 'em.

Mine came without any wax on it's finish. Dry and covered in dirt with little grease spots everywhere. I washed it and waxed it real good when I got it home. Out of all the cars I've bought brand new (6) none have ever been delivered waxed. BMW charged for some fake "paint protection" but it wasn't waxed.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 stinger GT2
No issues with the sun roof, traction control, display, or streaking with the wiper blades. I but my wipers do have a mind of there own when it rains, wife can’t stand it. I have a red stinger with no issues on the paint or wax, what color does everyone else have that they are having issues with?

OP
R

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #13
I haven't had any of those issues. Dead silent, no creaks or squeaks. My wipers surprised me with how well they wiped, I like 'em.

Mine came without any wax on it's finish. Dry and covered in dirt with little grease spots everywhere. I washed it and waxed it real good when I got it home. Out of all the cars I've bought brand new (6) none have ever been delivered waxed. BMW charged for some fake "paint protection" but it wasn't waxed.
Good to hear! :)

This is my first new car so I'd imagined they'd make it as nice as they could to sell. Guess not so much on the wax job.

No issues with the sun roof, traction control, display, or streaking with the wiper blades. I but my wipers do have a mind of there own when it rains, wife can’t stand it. I have a red stinger with no issues on the paint or wax, what color does everyone else have that they are having issues with?
"mind of their own" Lol.

Mine is black.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I haven’t really experienced any of these issues. The closest thing is on warm days with the sunroof shade open I sometimes hear the sun roof seal ‘squeak’ if you call it that. I put Armor All on the seal, which is a bit difficult to get to all of it, but it seems to have worked. I assume there is some twist in the body causing this, probably due to the hatch design and large sunroof. Other than that no real issues. I’m supprised by hearing about the paint/wax issues. Mine is great and still beads as if recently waxed (purchased last April). Washed numerous times, finish perfectly smooth.

Oh, I do have the speaker sound center issue. It happens maybe once a month. I’m just not ready to let them tear my dash apart to fix it yet. I’ll let them ‘practice’ on a few more Stingers first.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 stinger GT2
Anyone notice how the front crash sensor only works either when you have the cruise control on or when you are in reverse? When I park in a garage I have to put in reverse and back in drive to get it to engage. It’s also notorious for going off when I park at a curb get back in to reverse and then the front sensor goes off like I’m going to hit something in the front while backing up? Anyone else?

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Anyone notice how the front crash sensor only works either when you have the cruise control on or when you are in reverse? When I park in a garage I have to put in reverse and back in drive to get it to engage. It’s also notorious for going off when I park at a curb get back in to reverse and then the front sensor goes off like I’m going to hit something in the front while backing up? Anyone else?
I would have that looked at. Mine works fine when I park front facing in my garage without having to first put it into reverse (2018 GT2)

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
There are two types of sensors for the front end.

The ultrasonic sensors (multiple heads/transceivers) are for close distance range for parking, low speed purposes. The system is activated when reversing and it takes account the outputs from the front sensors. Notice that the front-facing, the side-facing, and the rear-facing have different tones when activated. The screen in the center of instrument panel shows which area is affected; another distraction or another thing to spread focus on my opinion. The system is not used for smart cruise control.

The other type of front-facing sensor is millimeter-wave electromagnetic transceiver. There is only one and it's centrally located within the front grill. This is a longer-distance, high-speed, more powerful system that's used for crash mitigation system. This transceiver is engaged most of the time, but the system seems to be disengaged during low-speed maneuvers such as parking. It is used for the smart cruise control.

I learn to differentiate the warnings from the two systems. The ultrasonic warnings will not accelerate or decelerate the car, but the electromagnetic warning will. Proximity awareness when parking is still needed to anticipate which sensor head will give important warnings and which sensor head will give unimportant ones (don't forget the tried-and-true mirrors). Both systems have many limitations including blind spots, so familiarize yourself with them to use their advantages and to be aware of their limitations.

OP
R

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #18
6. The wipers themselves. Since day one have been streaky. Now of course I can get new ones, but these should be new! Plus the optima had the same issue. Every time I got new wipers, about a month later, streaks�x
If you all are curious I FINALLY took it into the dealer to look at #1 and #6.

First, what I didn't have them look at.
I'm figuring #2 isn't worth it till I see it. #3 isn't an issue if I go slow enough, plus I plan on getting Pilot Sports in the Spring. #4, will wax it myself, waaah! :p #5, getting better, but whatever, not that big of a deal. Also told them that I've come back to my car 2 or 3 times and my gas door will be ajar.

They replaced the wipers, got an oil change since I'm near 5K, but the sunroof is the main reason I'm writing this.

At this time they say the sunroof is an issue that can't be fixed. I'm friendly with the guy and he took me in the shop and showed me a guy's stinger that has been in the shop for a MONTH trying to de-squeak the damn thing! They've literally replaced every part of it...and it still squeaks. [facepalm]. So unless one of you has had success-and can tell my dealer what they did-the dealer is waiting for feedback from Kia on what to do next.

Bummer, but not a huge deal since my music is so loud most of the time anyway. [8D]

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
If you all are curious I FINALLY took it into the dealer to look at #1 and #6.

First, what I didn't have them look at.
I'm figuring #2 isn't worth it till I see it. #3 isn't an issue if I go slow enough, plus I plan on getting Pilot Sports in the Spring. #4, will wax it myself, waaah! :p #5, getting better, but whatever, not that big of a deal. Also told them that I've come back to my car 2 or 3 times and my gas door will be ajar.

They replaced the wipers, got an oil change since I'm near 5K, but the sunroof is the main reason I'm writing this.

At this time they say the sunroof is an issue that can't be fixed. I'm friendly with the guy and he took me in the shop and showed me a guy's stinger that has been in the shop for a MONTH trying to de-squeak the damn thing! They've literally replaced every part of it...and it still squeaks. :(. So unless one of you has had success-and can tell my dealer what they did-the dealer is waiting for feedback from Kia on what to do next. Bummer, but not a huge deal since my music is so loud most of the time anyway. :D
That’s surprising. I didn’t have any issues with my sunroof, but when I took it in for the fender safety recall, they had a TSB to fix the sunroof and used it.

OP
R

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #20
That’s surprising. I didn’t have any issues with my sunroof, but when I took it in for the fender safety recall, they had a TSB to fix the sunroof and used it.
Thx for the heads up. What's a TSB?