Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Hyundai/Kia New engine (3.5T and 2.5T) information

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Only 380hp?

The Smartstream G3.5 T-GDi is an engine with maximum power of 380 hp (ps) and maximum torque of 54 kgf · m. Combustion system improvement. New fuel injection system and new cooling system technology. Through this, Hyundai said they have secured the world’s highest level of competitiveness.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #3
yeah the numbers seem a bit low, but I guess they are playing it safe right now, Im sure the numbers will increase once the engine is mature and actually ready for mass production.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
yeah the numbers seem a bit low, but I guess they are playing it safe right now, Im sure the numbers will increase once the engine is mature and actually ready for mass production.

True

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I wonder why they just don't use the Stinger's motor in the new Genesis SUV

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY20 Stinger GT
I wonder why they just don't use the Stinger's motor in the new Genesis SUV
The 3.5L engine has been under development for some time. It has some advantages over the 3.3L that they clearly believe warrant putting it into the new SUV. I suspect it will find it's way into the Stinger at some point as well (should the Stinger continue).

I found this part particularly interesting:

"In particular, the Smartstream G3.5 T-GDi is equipped with dual fuel injection technology that combines the advantages of the GDi system that directly injects fuel into the combustion chamber and the MPi system that injects the inlet port of the combustion chamber. In addition, the water-cooled intercooler is applied to increase the unique responsiveness of the turbocharger, and at the same time, it is capable of dynamic performance under various environmental conditions."

The first part (dual injection) means that some.of the compromises created by direct injection (such as not washing intake valves clean) are resolved. It also means that additional fuelling could be provided to the engine without expensive high-powered injector replacement (replacing port-injectors with uprated items is much simpler).

The water-cooled intercooler is also very interesting - water cooling is more complex than air cooling, but a lot more efficient.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
The 3.5L engine has been under development for some time. It has some advantages over the 3.3L that they clearly believe warrant putting it into the new SUV. I suspect it will find it's way into the Stinger at some point as well (should the Stinger continue).

I found this part particularly interesting:

"In particular, the Smartstream G3.5 T-GDi is equipped with dual fuel injection technology that combines the advantages of the GDi system that directly injects fuel into the combustion chamber and the MPi system that injects the inlet port of the combustion chamber. In addition, the water-cooled intercooler is applied to increase the unique responsiveness of the turbocharger, and at the same time, it is capable of dynamic performance under various environmental conditions."

The first part (dual injection) means that some.of the compromises created by direct injection (such as not washing intake valves clean) are resolved. It also means that additional fuelling could be provided to the engine without expensive high-powered injector replacement (replacing port-injectors with uprated items is much simpler).

The water-cooled intercooler is also very interesting - water cooling is more complex than air cooling, but a lot more efficient.
Thanks for the info @Manaz