Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Base Stinger Halogen Swap

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just installed Philips diamond vision 9005 bulbs in the stinger. They look 100000x better now. It matches the LEDs now. Visibility is okay. It?s still very bright at night. For 40 dollars, you can?t beat this. Its very easy to install, as Kia has a cut out in the fender for the main headlight. It?s a must have for us plebs with the base models!

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Are they more bluer than the stock ones?

OP
M
Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
The base halogens looked horrible with the LED circles around them. The Philips diamond vision match the LED circles and looks much better. They are rated at 5000k, so they are whitish blue in color.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Thank you MARTY 17 for doing the 'leg work' on this. I too was bothered by the mismatch of color between the incandescent headlamps and the surrounding LEDs. I have now ordered from Amazon a pair of the bulbs you found.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER BASE AWD
This was a huge pain in the..... I have a Base Stinger. I purchased a pretty expensive LED kit about $200 in total since I added the wiring relay harness just to be safe. It turns out I was reading what a few of the guys on the forum posted in regards to the whole "projector lens"do so was just driving myself crazy. After a few searches on google (although just by looking at the headlight housing I could tell they were projectors) I came up with this. The KIA Stinger base is equipped with "Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off".... So I figured hey it would be fine without any issues lighting wise. Turns out the kit I purchased is so awesome that it has a pretty cool but large built in fan. So the fan on the bulbs make them extremely difficult to install directly into the socket. There is like a hump in the headlight/body of the Stinger that kept preventing installation because the fan of the bulb didn't have enough clearance. But after a few attempts and some rotating of the bulb etc... I was able to finally fit the bulb inside. Connected the lights directly with no harness just to see if they worked and looked bright enough, and I must say they look absolutely fantastic. 6000k 55w LED bulbs. The difference is so dramatic. And I was testing the lights in an extremely well lit garage. My only issue is adjusting the viewing angle of the bulbs. I've never dealt with HID kits because every new car I had in the past already had them installed from factory. So if the level of the lighting is off then I will figure that out. My main goal was to just get these installed asap.

I hope this helps unless it was already addressed.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
[MENTION=661]ChrisOfNYC[/MENTION] thanks for the tip bro, which kit did you buy and how bad does it stick out? Can you also post some night time photos?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
[MENTION=661]ChrisOfNYC[/MENTION] thanks for the tip bro, which kit did you buy and how bad does it stick out? Can you also post some night time photos?
No problem [MENTION=614]stingingseattle[/MENTION] I bought the SNGL Super Bright LED kit 9005. I didn't read the bottom description part that said I'll need a harness until after purchase. So I bought the harness separate. SNGL Super Bright LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Adjustable-Beam Bulbs - 9005 ( H10 , HB3 , 9145 ) - 110w 12,400Lm - 6000K Bright White - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA5X79W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lpSLAbTH97AZK

The bulb doesn't protrude at all. I removed the white insulation padding from the stock headlight bulb cover. So it allowed space to snap that bulb cover back in without issue. I doubt it would be an issue since it is covered by that cover as well as the wheel well cover.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
I will for sure take some pictures this evening when it's dark out. I think I got a good white color going. Might notice a tiny shade difference compared to the DRLed. But I don't think it's significant. But then again I haven't tested at night. This is all being done as I send out these messages.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Great thanks.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Thanks for sharing, I'll be upgrading my lights soon too.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
That came out really nice. Have you noticed any reduction in distance?
That's a great question. I'll know for sure tonight. I will take a few photos at different angles and post them right after. I will also add my take on the distance. (BTW, the lights are functioning properly without a relay harness)

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
I haven't looked on my car yet but are the headlights easy to remove?

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
I will for sure take some pictures this evening when it's dark out. I think I got a good white color going. Might notice a tiny shade difference compared to the DRLed. But I don't think it's significant. But then again I haven't tested at night. This is all being done as I send out these messages.
In for pictures.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
I haven't looked on my car yet but are the headlights easy to remove?
Well the Bulb is pretty easy to access. It's from underneath. I don't know about the actual housing because I didn't try to remove that.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Well the Bulb is pretty easy to access. It's from underneath. I don't know about the actual housing because I didn't try to remove that.
Ok say you didn't remove the housing just swapped out the bulbs right?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Yeah, just threw in the kit. 6000k LED bulbs are exact fit because they are 9005 just as the stock Sylvania ones are, and the ballast.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
Yeah, just threw in the kit. 6000k LED bulbs are exact fit because they are 9005 just as the stock Sylvania ones are, and the ballast.
Good to know, I thought we had to remove the housing get everything to fit.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Good to know, I thought we had to remove the housing get everything to fit.
Come to think of it, when you put it that way, it isn't a bad idea to remove the headlight housing and do everything nice and with care. I took it to a guy and we both were just in a hurry. I honestly didn't want to go another day with those yellowish halogen lights. So we tried for about 30-45 minutes just to get the bulb in without breaking anything. Once the bulb went in that's pretty much all it needed. Also I made a mistake, the LED lights do not come with a ballast, it just looks like one. But yeah, if you want to spend a few hours on installing them with care and precision then yes remove the housing.