Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Windshield cracked - easy fix or major repair?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I had a rock or something fly up and hit my windshield while driving yesterday and while I heard it, I didnt see any cracks. Today while washing the car I noticed a crack in the windshield behind the rearview mirror (about a 3 inch long crack). Is this a simple fix where the dealer will replace the windshield or does all of the tech, like auto cruise, self dimming lights, radar, etc. make this a major repair? Im sure it's covered under my car insurance but I'm wondering how big of a repair this will be and if having this fixed might introduce other issues with the tech stuff? It's a 2019 GT2. Thanks.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Replacing the windshield does require recalibration of certain sensors on the windshield. I’d trust the dealer to do it over something like safelite

Reactions
City
Lakewood ranch
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT1 RWD.
Hi Knotslip, just had a very small chip repair on my gt1. Called Safelight and repaired it in my garage. Are you aware that you do not pay for repairs or replacement in most cases. With the insurance I'm sure you carry would cover the cost.
Not long ago some windshield repair services i was told would give you a couple of steaks. I was told this by an insurance adjuster.
Since living in FL.i had one windshield replaced and two chip repairs at no cost. I blame it interstate 75
Stevogt1

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I just had my 2018 GT2 windshield replaced by Safelight (rock chip and subsequent loooong crack) Safelight said they could do both windshield and recalibration. Well, after 6 tried from a remote contractor, they said they could not connect they could not say whether it was a remote connection issue or a OBDII issue. I immediately went to Kia dealer and they tech told me that if there's no alarms on the dash it does not need recalibration. I call BS on that as the calibration would not show up as an actual fault rather it is an mechanico-optical relationship that needs to be calibrated out. I will be calling the service manager tomorrow. Also, my HUD is messed up in that it looks like I am seeing double vision and it doesnt center up and rotate the way it used to. Not happy with how this is going. Is there a special windscreen for the GT2 premium cars with HUD?
My neighbor hat a GT and had her windshield replaced by Safelight and the recalibration done at the dealer. She does not have a HUD in hers.

bob2s

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2018 GT
From Kia Stinger 2018-2020 service manual

CAUTION
When replacing front windshield glass, always replace with exclusive windshield glass for Head Up Display. Otherwise, the Head Up Display images may overlap.

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
FUP. Checking the paperwork they put in an aftermarket windscreen supposedly for the HUD, It shows the markings designating that, but it really does not perform like the OEM. I called the Dealer service mgr and he said that happens quite often and I am probably stuck with what I have. I may call insurance and Safelight and express my dis satisfaction with the outcome.

Last edited:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
FUP. Checking the paperwork they put in an aftermarket windscreen supposedly for the HUD, It shows the markings designating that, but it really does not perform like the OEM. I called the Dealer service mgr and he said that happens quite often and I am probably stuck with what I have. I may call insurance and Safelight and express my dis satisfaction with the outcome.
Insurance should make sure it’s correct and working properly.

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
FUP Safelight warranty visit. Tech agreed the after market HUD windshield was garbage. Geico agreed to replace with Kia OEM glass. Appointment next Wed. Hopefully this fixes it.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
FUP Safelight warranty visit. Tech agreed the after market HUD windshield was garbage. Geico agreed to replace with Kia OEM glass. Appointment next Wed. Hopefully this fixes it.
That's good to hear there taking care of you.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Good to see you’re being taken car of.

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
FUP 2 - OEM windshield replacement has restored the HUD to full clarity. Lesson learned, do not accept after market windshields even thought they are for HUD equipped vehicles.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
FUP 2 - OEM windshield replacement has restored the HUD to full clarity. Lesson learned, do not accept after market windshields even thought they are for HUD equipped vehicles.
Good to know