Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced more than normal paint chips? Share your pictures

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
When I mention the chipping problems to the dealer they say the yellow stinger has that problem, that's all they know or want to say about the issue. I tell them that I help run a stinger forum site an paint chipping or flaking is a big problem with ALL the stinger colors, the paint on the front bumper is only 3 mills thick. Chris71 had his front bumper repainted an the guy that did it was shock on how thin the paint was, so a clear bra will save your front end.
at 3mils thickness that's a cost saving measure. When you're getting a car at this price point in comparison to its European competition, and at far less production numbers, that's the immediate answer to that. At that thickness they are taking their chances at claiming most of it occurring on the forward facing areas and tally it up to normal wear and tear.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
That is good to know but from what are you basing that statement from? Has Kia corporate published something to address that?
Kia hasn't addressed the issue other than with the Yellow paint. Personally I feel Kia's paint is awful. That's said I'm only getting paint chips in the impact areas like the front bumper, mirrors and so forth, same as any other car.

Reactions
Seems like a good spot to post this. I started my debadge today and immediately stopped when this happened.
IMG_20190606_152150.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190606191443248.jpg
I let my car sit in the sun to bake then started to use a plastic blade. Soon as I hit the top of the emblem my paint went with it!! I've debadged 4 previous cars without issues.

What should I do???

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Seems like a good spot to post this. I started my debadge today and immediately stopped when this happened.
View attachment 2508
View attachment 2509
I let my car sit in the sun to bake then started to use a plastic blade. Soon as I hit the top of the emblem my paint went with it!! I've debadged 4 previous cars without issues.

What should I do???
Take it to the dealer and tell them your paint is chipping, might be able to get it fixed under warranty

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Ouch man that sucks

View attachment 2508
View attachment 2509

What should I do???

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
On these cars is better to start with a fishing line to lift the emblem and cut through the adhesive, then you can put the plastic blade under and start lifting carefully. I've done two Stinger's using that method and no problem. Very lightly used a heat gun to warm up the surface a bit.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That happen to another guy on the forums, he used a heat gun an heated it up to much and the paint peeled off. You still need to use a heat gun but there is a fine line on how hot you want to get it. Instead of using a plastic blade use fishing line it takes a little longer to remove but it won't pull up on your paint. I hope the dealership warranty's it.

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
Wow man, no bueno.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
That happen to another guy on the forums, he used a heat gun an heated it up to much and the paint peeled off. You still need to use a heat gun but there is a fine line on how hot you want to get it. Instead of using a plastic blade use fishing line it takes a little longer to remove but it won't pull up on your paint. I hope the dealership warranty's it.
I didn’t us a heat gun. Just goo-b-gone, floss, and an old plastic card

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
I have a 2018 KIA Stinger GT2 black with red interior with 6000 miles and have found multiple paint chips I am pretty certain these are not normal rock chips. Oh well I am most likely trading it for a Toyota which is going to be miserable but in New England you need paint. There are more showing up every day here are just 3 of the 4 I have so far. Just started happening about 1000 miles ago roughly when I started washing the car, of course I hand wash my cars just fyi these are not from an automated car wash or anything like that.

20190721_140456 - HL.jpg 20190721_140515 - HL.jpg

Attachments

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
which parts of the car are those on?

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
Hood and passenger door and I have one more on the driver front quarter. I am sure more will come soon they seem to be happening basically every time I drive and I mostly do around town driving.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Yikes

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
The silly thing is that the paint was fine until around 5500 miles and 1 year after purchase so this is very concerning as the problem seems to take time to occur.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
The silly thing is that the paint was fine until around 5500 miles and 1 year after purchase so this is very concerning as the problem seems to take time to occur.
I had 9 chips on my hood... Just dropped it off this morning for paint correction, 4 layer pro ceramic treatment and PPF. It's a 7 day job for what I'm getting. You could keep the car, would just need to correct and protect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
Ceramic will do nothing at all sorry to give you the bad news and I know for sure about that. So save your money the PPF might help a little but would have to cover the entire car. Paint correction would be ongoing for as long as you owned the car.

Billy B

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I have a 2018 white Stinger and I notice the clear coat of paint around the front badge and below the headlight is beginning to flake off. I’m planning to bring it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy B

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Who's having issues with paint chipping on their front end because the paint just sucks? Right below the KIA emblem.
I have the same problem with my white Stinger. The clear coat is flaking off around the emblem and below the headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
Ugh I feel bad for everyone having paint issues this shouldn't be happening and is unacceptable to me. KIA made an awesome car but it really doesn't make up for bad paint which shouldn't be happening in this day and age.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem as the micro blue a few posts back. --paint literally coming completely off those two trim pieces from the sunroof to the back glass. The spiderweb one is passenger side. The one that is basically completely gone is driver's.
I should note, I have never let this car go through a car wash, use the 2 bucket method for have washing, built a deionizing filter to rinse the car for no water spots, I blow it dry with a blower I bought specifically for this task, and I have only ever touched it--gently--with microfiber that I hand wash separate from any other clothes for spot detailing. In other words, I absolutely baby this car's paint. This is after 16k miles/1.5 years.
Dealer taking a look Friday.

Attachments