Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

What Did You Do With Your Stinger Today?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Ok sound update, wanted to wait until I ran the same test today on the exact same stretch of road. Only wish I had done it when completely stock also:)

I ran 4 miles at in all three with sound meter, three passes before I added the resonators to my ark mid pipes and three after.
Comfort
Sport
Custom(enhanced sound set to minimum, rest exact as sport mode)

Runs with new resonators
Between comfort, sport, custom was only a 1db(every once in while 2db) difference between comfort and the other two.

Comfort 81-83db cursing keeping rpm in 2-2400 range(sweet spot for drone)

Sport and custom no statistical difference both were 82-84, hit 85db a couple of times.

Now
Ark without resonators
A very nice difference noticed after adding them yesterday

The numbers averaged 87-90 hit 91db once, in comfort it did drop to 85 couple of times but for most part stayed 87 or higher

Most importantly the resonators really killed off the drone that came with removing the cats!

3-5db may not sound like much but from a drone perspective it is. Even if you have upgraded you cat backs and they are too loud adding another set of resonators might be a good option for you also.

Interesting note: I’ve always herd that a lot of noise comes from the tires/road itself but through this test I really confirmed it. I was on mostly a newly paved stretch(within last week in fact) as soon as I hit the concrete section and moved off the asphalt the noise jumped by 3+dB, same on rougher sections of asphalt!
I realized my ears are more tuned to the engine/exhaust noise than tire/road noise:)

My next effort is going to be sound dampen the wheel wells and run the same stretch.

May not matter to some but I’m a bit of a geek and this kind of stuff interests me:) I will update in a few weeks when I get to the next step of my super unimportant sound project lol:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Ok sound update, wanted to wait until I ran the same test today on the exact same stretch of road. Only wish I had done it when completely stock also:)

I ran 4 miles at in all three with sound meter, three passes before I added the resonators to my ark mid pipes and three after.
Comfort
Sport
Custom(enhanced sound set to minimum, rest exact as sport mode)

Runs with new resonators
Between comfort, sport, custom was only a 1db(every once in while 2db) difference between comfort and the other two.

Comfort 81-83db cursing keeping rpm in 2-2400 range(sweet spot for drone)

Sport and custom no statistical difference both were 82-84, hit 85db a couple of times.

Now
Ark without resonators
A very nice difference noticed after adding them yesterday

The numbers averaged 87-90 hit 91db once, in comfort it did drop to 85 couple of times but for most part stayed 87 or higher

Most importantly the resonators really killed off the drone that came with removing the cats!

3-5db may not sound like much but from a drone perspective it is. Even if you have upgraded you cat backs and they are too loud adding another set of resonators might be a good option for you also.

Interesting note: I’ve always herd that a lot of noise comes from the tires/road itself but through this test I really confirmed it. I was on mostly a newly paved stretch(within last week in fact) as soon as I hit the concrete section and moved off the asphalt the noise jumped by 3+dB, same on rougher sections of asphalt!
I realized my ears are more tuned to the engine/exhaust noise than tire/road noise:)

My next effort is going to be sound dampen the wheel wells and run the same stretch.

May not matter to some but I’m a bit of a geek and this kind of stuff interests me:) I will update in a few weeks when I get to the next step of my super unimportant sound project lol:)

Nice

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Congratulation(y)

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Congratulations!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Looks really good man!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
make sure you use lots of lubrication, otherwise you will be doing more damage to the paint.
Were there hardened contaminants that could not be removed with chemical decontamination?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
make sure you use lots of lubrication, otherwise you will be doing more damage to the paint.
Were there hardened contaminants that could not be removed with chemical decontamination?
There’s fallout and iron in the paint but I’ll have to tackle that on a day that I have lots of time. I clayed my Mustang about twice a year, so this isn’t the first time I’ve done this. I’ve actually already clayed the hood a couple times and the deck lid twice before. I’m only tackling the roof and deck lid this morning before I head out to work

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Had some scratches on my center from messing with carbon wrap... so decided to sand all the finish off. I have a paint buddy that will spray it all piano black to match the other black trim. I’ll keep the small trim the brushed look for contrast:) post when finished.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Time for some iron remover on the passenger rear quarter panel
Hey... wife somehow got white overspray all over her black 2018 traverse, was about to pay $400 to get it fixed. Decided to tray a clay bar and wow!! Cannot believe how well it removes anything that is on the car!! My arm was about to fall off after I finished but clay is amazing stuff!

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hey... wife somehow got white overspray all over her black 2018 traverse, was about to pay $400 to get it fixed. Decided to tray a clay bar and wow!! Cannot believe how well it removes anything that is on the car!! My arm was about to fall off after I finished but clay is amazing stuff!

Just remember, as long as you have a good amount of lubrication for the clay bar, you shouldn’t have to push on it. It should just be able to glide back and forth. Good job though @Chris71

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Just remember, as long as you have a good amount of lubrication for the clay bar, you shouldn’t have to push on it. It should just be able to glide back and forth. Good job though @Chris71
Ha, yes I did but her car looked like she drove through a white overspray car wash! so doing the whole car was a bit rough:) I have ceramic on my car so won’t have to use it there but was a good experience. And $30.00 Meguiar’s clay kit vs $400.00, pretty sweet!

Issemann

Reactions
Finally got around to covering the logo on the wheels and steering wheel...

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Been driving this way for over a week lol! Get my parts back tomorrow! Had the pieces painted and PPF’d. Still have 8 DRLs to build this week but will make time to put it back together with the 700 screws that kia uses in next couple days!

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Can't wait to see the final product.

Had some scratches on my center from messing with carbon wrap... so decided to sand all the finish off. I have a paint buddy that will spray it all piano black to match the other black trim. I’ll keep the small trim the brushed look for contrast:) post when finished.