Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Track day 10/25 Mid Ohio

Ed B

Reactions
City
Mechanicsburg
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
I took my GT2 Stinger (19" factory wheels) on the Mid Ohio Sports Car Track for an SCCA PDX track day (novice group) on October 25, 2019. Car ran great. Topped out at 125 on a couple of laps, Bridgette (our car) was capable of more if I didn't mind destroying her by overrunning the end of the straight! Brakes are terrible. Don't get me wrong, they didn't start out that way, but the pads definitely couldn't stand the heat. New pads purchased, waiting to get new slotted two-piece rotors before installing them. I have to stand on 'em to get 0.3 g stops now, 0.2 more likely. I would have liked Kia to put a more durable system on the car. I had traction control and stability OFF, so those systems are not to blame for the (permanent) brake fade.

Handling was pretty tight, some cars (WRX, Fiesta?, and an AMG) were faster through tight turns. I could smoke all these but the AMG on the straights. A few cars with V8s were faster on the straights, but not by a lot. I did spin twice, once off the track (if you're familiar, it was just before "Carousel"), I blame lack of brakes. My times were consistent (2:02 plus or minus a couple of seconds), about 20 seconds slower than competitive sport class times (2.4-mile course, which I ran) and 1 minute slower than the Indy car (2.1-mile course) track record here.

Shifting with the paddle-shifters was horrible, just ending up putting it in Sport/ Drive (traction and stability OFF). It was as if by pulling the paddle, I was sending a request to a committee to consider changing gears. Biggest disappointment of the day (and remember, my brakes quit working -- but I can fix that).

Bottom line? For a comfortable car with all of the bells and whistles, it's great fun on the track. Can it outrun a Boss 302 Mustang? Maybe through the turns (his splitter came off down the straight, couldn't take the pressure, so we don't know for sure). Can it outrun an AMG Mercedes? No. Can it outturn a WRX? Not always through the turns. But for my money, who cares? (provided it had better brakes). It's a hoot AND I can drive it for 10 hours comfortably.

Some video if you're interested:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Definitely looking forward to the day I take mine to the track. I’ve upgraded my rotors and pads and have sway bars installed. Next thing to do before the track is put better brake fluid in. Glad to see you had fun and we’re able to drive home

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Looks like a lot of fun....(y)

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Looks like you had fun. Yes, brakes are a must do if you are taking the Stinger to the track regularly.

OP
E

Ed B

Reactions
City
Mechanicsburg
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #5
Definitely looking forward to the day I take mine to the track. I’ve upgraded my rotors and pads and have sway bars installed. Next thing to do before the track is put better brake fluid in. Glad to see you had fun and we’re able to drive home
I strongly recommend track days for these cars. Great fun! I'm not sure I'm going to autocross it (I used to enjoy autocross with my Lancer, but never took it on the track). She just seems to "want" to be on the track, but she seems to "turn up her nose" at the idea of autocross.

I did have brakes flushed and replaced with DOT 4 fluid afterward (should have done beforehand). Not sure if I need a sway bar upgrade, the steering seemed spot on -- I have AWD. In fact, my instructor suggested I might have been able to "power through" the slide, although I was definitely feeling "too hot" and brakes just weren't there. The second time I lost it (spinning off track), I was actually mentally "calling it a day" and screwed up the line, although I felt a little "betrayed" by the brakes on that occasion as well.

I will say that I almost didn't get to drive home -- I noticed a chip taken out of the wheel, but didn't feel it was a big deal because the tire still held pressure. When I put the all season tires on a couple of weeks later, I found that the tire had been destroyed -- it had a BIG chunk out of the tread area (no chords exposed though). The good news is that with 20k miles they looked ready to replace anyway. Fronts still look good for at least another 5k miles. If I get to the shed I'll take a pic (bought 18-inch rims for the all seasons and stored the 19s).

Last edited:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Do yourself a favor. Get sway bars. Best mod that can be done to this car. The difference is night and day

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Totally agree with @CKeeler, sway bars make a huge difference with this car...