Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

The Fuel Grade Poll

Which fuel grade you are using?

• Regular Unleaded

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mid-Grade Unleaded

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Premium Unleaded

Votes: 98 78.4%
  • E85

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Kia most likely published the power ratings using premium fuel. And will derate with lower octane fuels. I'm also curious with how much of a drop in power with 87 octane?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Kia most likely published the power ratings using premium fuel. And will derate with lower octane fuels. I'm also curious with how much of a drop in power with 87 octane?
This is what I have been harping on about for the last month and peeved that such simple info has not been available. Looks like the mystery is becoming clearer now...but still no official numbers to confirm anything.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
This is what I have been harping on about for the last month and peeved that such simple info has not been available. Looks like the mystery is becoming clearer now...but still no official numbers to confirm anything.
I hear ya.

Also interesting if rated at 91 octane is there any headroom in the timing maps for additional power gains with 93 octane or higher like with E30 gasoline? This is something that was discovered with Ford's Ecoboost engines.

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
We can make this a community effort by collecting donations for someone to test this out.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
We can make this a community effort by collecting donations for someone to test this out.
There is no reliable or accurate testing that any owner could do. Just needs official confirmation from KIA--which octane was used to get the official power numbers; what loss or gain in power occurs when you use the "other" (from the official) octane, either regular or premium?

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
There is no reliable or accurate testing that any owner could do. Just needs official confirmation from KIA--which octane was used to get the official power numbers; what loss or gain in power occurs when you use the "other" (from the official) octane, either regular or premium?
It won't be scientific but it'll at least give us some ideas until something official comes out.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
It won't be scientific but it'll at least give us some ideas until something official comes out.
It would be scientific, just not accurate or reliable. Feel free to waste your time.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I'm curious as well, wondering if Kia will provide any more information if they decide to send out notifications.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm curious as well, wondering if Kia will provide any more information if they decide to send out notifications.
Hey boys and girls! I'm going to send a few emails up the Kia o-o-o-o (chain. LOL I kill me...) to see what I can find about this.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Hey boys and girls! I'm going to send a few emails up the Kia o-o-o-o (chain. LOL I kill me...) to see what I can find about this.
That would be great, [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]. If you have an "in" with your service manager, see if he can hook up with an engineer. I was a service manager for about 10 years and I always had an open line to top tech people.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Most excellent.[like]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Here you go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Just checked my manual and it still shows the original 87 octane even though I purchased my Stinger a few weeks ago.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Just checked my manual and it still shows the original 87 octane even though I purchased my Stinger a few weeks ago.
The language used in the new sticker is unfortunately no clearer than the old language. Any car should use higher octane fuel "for optimum performance."

There is only one fact that matters: what is the Stinger's HP and torque output at 87 octane versus 91 (and maybe 93 as well for those interested). KIA knows the answer to this; they have known it all along, yet are not publishing it and instead issue vague and generic statements and recommendations that could apply to any car.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
FWIW, I've tested the car one week using 87, the next 93, then back to 87, back to 93 for about 4 weeks now, making sure to get 4he car as close to empty as possible each time.

I haven't noticed any difference in power between the two, although most of my driving is to city driving mot much opportunity to really push sport mode.

What I did find interestingly is that I get around 1.5mpg better per tank using the 87 octane than I do using the 93. In both cases, this is mostly city driving.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Is there a limit to what octane rating is safe, can a car like the Stinger handle a tank full of 100 octane, or higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Is there a limit to what octane rating is safe, can a car like the Stinger handle a tank full of 100 octane, or higher?

You can go over 100octane if you want to, but it'll be a waste of money.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Because?

Because the factory ECU and/or chip are not tuned for that type of fuel. You will not be extracting the max potential or advantages of using that fuel.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Because?

Like robz32 said, we just don?t have the tune to take advantage of it yet.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Happy Monday everyone! Hope that you all had a very blessed Easter!

Okay, so I got my first response from the engineer's. It looks like the advertised ratings are using RON95 fuel (91 US octane). So, anything higher would theoretically INCREASE ratings.

More when I get it!