Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Sunroof creak - Resloved!

MFed

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
So far the radio and infotainment system has been smooth sailing for me, but I'll keep an eye (ear? :D ) out for it. Cheers!

MFed

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
As a wise man once said, "I've been wrong before." Unfortunately my shakedown run revealed that it still sounds like there are a bunch of cranberries rolling around the sunroof perimeter while driving. That said, I haven't actually checked to see if there are a bunch of cranberries rolling around my sunroof perimeter, and if there are I'll be the first to thank Hyundai/Kia for their thoughtful gift. I'm not sure how they knew I'm originally a New Englander and am therefore legally required to appreciate cranberries in any form, but seeing as their automotive range seems to cover the majority of requirements and desires of the driving public it would not surprise me in the least to learn that the team of gifted psychics they clearly employ are not limited to divining only automotive requirements from their customer base.

On the other hand, if my sunroof is cranberry-free it's back to the dealership yet again. I sure hope it's cranberries...

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2
I guess the story isn't over yet...the next drive after my aforementioned shakedown run the sunroof/headliner didn't make a peep. So at this point I'm not sure if it's been 'fixed' or not, though I'll say it wasn't 'intermittent' prior to mashing up on the headliner, so I'm thinking there's a real possibility something WAS stuck and rolling round up there. We do have lots of trees here that drop little berry-type things by the metric ton and I've found them rolling around the scuttle plate and in the hatch surround before, so there's a fair chance some of those little bastards got into the sunroof rails as well...

Hopefully I'll be able to actually verify for certain whether or not this fix actually worked before long.

leon3357

Reactions
City
shelby
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 kia cadenza
Don't mean to jump in the middle of a stinger discussion here but I have a 2014 kia cadenza with 34K original miles with the same pano issue(sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together when the car is moving and the pano is closed, issue resolves when open/tilted). I have been scouring the internet on this issue. I'm on the Cadenza forum and there are a lot of people there with the same issue. Optima forum has the same thing. Just thought I would let you know it seems to be an issue across all of KIA's models. FYI-my dealer says no stingers or cadenzas have reported this issue but he has heard of some sorentos. Just thought I would let you guys know. Don't mean to intrude just looking for a solution. Thanks!

damianb

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
This issue for me has been resolved. Here is the fix. I have a 2019 GT1.

-----------
Pushing up around the edge of the headliner all around the sunroof glass. I used the palm of my hand and gave a solid push all the way around. In two spots I felt and heard a "click".... you could feel the Velcro strips connecting better. Drove the car and now it is quite...not a single creek from up top. This is definitely the issue since I could reproduce the noise every day during normal driving. It has been a few days now and the noise is completely gone. I did let the dealership know what the fix is for future reference for others.

Had the car at two dealerships and neither could fix issue. They tighten all the bolts on the rails... grease the rails and told me they could not fix issue without ripping apart sunroof. I called them today and told them the fix for their records.

All that said, for all those that are hearing a plastic type crinkle sound from above your head.... not a rattle of metal.... and if you open sun shade or glass or tilt glass and non of that makes the sound go away....then most likely your fix is a 30 second push of the headliner where it meets the opening (all around) listening and feeling for a "click" sound is all all you need to do.
This issue for me has been resolved. Here is the fix. I have a 2019 GT1.

-----------
Pushing up around the edge of the headliner all around the sunroof glass. I used the palm of my hand and gave a solid push all the way around. In two spots I felt and heard a "click".... you could feel the Velcro strips connecting better. Drove the car and now it is quite...not a single creek from up top. This is definitely the issue since I could reproduce the noise every day during normal driving. It has been a few days now and the noise is completely gone. I did let the dealership know what the fix is for future reference for others.

Had the car at two dealerships and neither could fix issue. They tighten all the bolts on the rails... grease the rails and told me they could not fix issue without ripping apart sunroof. I called them today and told them the fix for their records.

All that said, for all those that are hearing a plastic type crinkle sound from above your head.... not a rattle of metal.... and if you open sun shade or glass or tilt glass and non of that makes the sound go away....then most likely your fix is a 30 second push of the headliner where it meets the opening (all around) listening and feeling for a "click" sound is all all you need to do.
Absolutely worked for me. Thank you so much. My dealer asked me to book it in and leave it with them for 1-2 weeks!!

Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Stinger GT Limited
I have this crinkling issue exactly. Just got my Stinger GT Limited in Canada. Ugh. Hoping I can get it fixed.

Gav

Reactions
City
Shartlesville
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT1
Sorry if this question has been asked before.... I did search but could not find a thread that matched my issue. I have a new 2019 GT1. With the sunroof closed..does not matter if sunshade is open or closed...I hear this constant creaking. It is not a rattle...more like a creek and it is constant. Does not matter if I go over and bump. Car is going in for first oil change at dealership in a week and was going to have them look at issue. That said, I was wondering if anyone has same issue and if they where able to rectify?

Gav

Reactions
City
Shartlesville
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT1
Sorry if this question has been asked before.... I did search but could not find a thread that matched my issue. I have a new 2019 GT1. With the sunroof closed..does not matter if sunshade is open or closed...I hear this constant creaking. It is not a rattle...more like a creek and it is constant. Does not matter if I go over and bump. Car is going in for first oil change at dealership in a week and was going to have them look at issue. That said, I was wondering if anyone has same issue and if they where able to rectify?
Had the exact same annoying sound. First dealer said that they just had a Stinger in for a week and couldnt fix it. Another dealer had it fixed in 10 minutes. It was the drivers side grab handle assembled wrong. He said the bracket was out of position. Creaking is gone.

Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Stinger GT Limited
Had the exact same annoying sound. First dealer said that they just had a Stinger in for a week and couldnt fix it. Another dealer had it fixed in 10 minutes. It was the drivers side grab handle assembled wrong. He said the bracket was out of position. Creaking is gone.
Hmmm. Most of my creaking is above the driver's head! Maybe this is it.

I also have a sunroof rattle. Ugh.

Reactions
City
Cleveland
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT2
It is the grab handles! After much testing in my stinger i determined that to be it a while ago. When i grab the handle and hold it down the noise vanishes. Then i let go and put my ear up to it and that is where the noise is coming from. I also have experienced some sun roof creak when hitting large bumps or road joints that twist the car. But 100% of the time it is the grab handle. Never stops making that noise while driving unless i hold it down.