Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Production Exhaust Sound

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Hi All. Has anybody received a production delivery yet? Mine is due to arrive mid December.

If yes please advise on the sound of the exhaust.

According to the word on the street (aka online) the production units should sound throatier and louder than the preproduction units that are making the rounds in the dealer showrooms.

A recording would be awesome!

Steve O.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
The models driven this week at the media launch are preproduction US spec versions, and they have the new, throatier exhaust. Look up Redline Reviews, Thestraightpipes, Matt Maran, or The Fast Lane car; they all have reviews posted and all took a few moments to rev the engine so you can hear the exhaust.

It sounds pretty good for stock, probably as good the German sixes.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Exhaust revving at 12:30.
[video=youtube;laDTa-5sQds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laDTa-5sQds[/video]

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Very nice burble at start up. I'd like to hear it under acceleration. Not revving with no load. Too bad these videographers spend more time on interior doo dads than the sounds it makes. I'd duct tape a mic to the rear bumper and take it for a lap or two then overdub it to the forward looking camera. Nobody thinks that way. Is it just me?? :-(

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Very nice burble at start up. I'd like to hear it under acceleration. Not revving with no load. Too bad these videographers spend more time on interior doo dads than the sounds it makes. I'd duct tape a mic to the rear bumper and take it for a lap or two then overdub it to the forward looking camera. Nobody thinks that way. Is it just me?? :-(
We'll probably be seeing more of those types of videos. These first waves of videos are part of a Kia media event so there's probably some time constraints. I would like to see them eventually get external exhaust sound clips while driving in different modes too.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Hopefully this will give you some idea. There's a part in the video where the Stinger accelerates away from the camera.
[video=youtube;aLlBGVVVaDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlBGVVVaDM[/video]

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
VW Golf
The exhaust sounds perfect to me.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
The car sounds pretty good to me too but it is a little on the mild side on the outside. Is the US version going to have a bi mode exhaust system with valves in the mufflers?

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
The car sounds pretty good to me too but it is a little on the mild side on the outside. Is the US version going to have a bi mode exhaust system with valves in the mufflers?
There was a couple of videos that mentions the exhaust sound changes with the drive modes.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
I heard the Borla and it sounds like hollow tomato cans. If you're under thirty it might appeal. I'm 56 and never cottoned to loud exhausts (except for my twin 454's in the Donzi for those in the know). The stock arrangement for North America sounds like Albert B got it just right. Here's another video for us Canadians EH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0-3mHbUF0

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
There was a couple of videos that mentions the exhaust sound changes with the drive modes.
I was wondering if the sound is changing only in the speakers or if there's actual valves in the mufflers to make the car louder on the inside. I know the sound in the speakers change but I was hoping for bi mode exhaust. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
[video=youtube_share;2dhebtAsmaw]https://youtu.be/2dhebtAsmaw[/video]

Finally a good clip; startup, revs, driving, and take off...

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Dang that Borla exhaust sounded loud.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
Stock is perfect. Thanks for the clip. I might spend the money of bright red paint instead. That California Red paint isn't sporty enough for me. But it's all I can get.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Another external exhaust clip towards the end of this video (12:33).
[video=youtube;sBR_vEVbEPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBR_vEVbEPw[/video]

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
Borla cat-back sounds so good.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #18
I spent Friday receiving the car and driving around downtown. The stock exhaust sound is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!. They nailed it. It has the same tone and resonance pattern as you would hear from a stock early 2000's Ferrari 360. This is real 'out-of-the-pipes' sound as I could hear is echoing off the walls of downtown street canyons. It even gets throaty when it upshifts under load. Perfect! Thank you Albert Biermann for giving the Stinger a sonorous voice!

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
BTW. I swapped cars with a dealership owner. He got the California Wine and I got the Pearl White. Re the red... What was I thinking? White is the best colour (or absence of colour) for the car.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
BTW. I swapped cars with a dealership owner. He got the California Wine and I got the Pearl White. Re the red... What was I thinking? White is the best colour (or absence of colour) for the car.
Temp swap or permanent?