Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

New Buyer.... Paint Questions

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Greetings,

I am in the process of locating my Stinger GT2. In my research I noticed that there were some issues with paint quality and Kia buying back Stingers.
Were the paint issues predominantly with the Yellow Stingers (The only ones I could find that were buy backs were yellow) or was it just hit and miss across all colors.

Thanks in advance...
Look forward to my future purchase and being a member!

SVStinger

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
I have also seen where some of the blue ones were having the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That was pretty early on in the '18 MY. Many of the yellows had problems, a few of the micro blues. No other colors were affected that I've seen. Check along the back of the roof at the hatch opening for any cracks or spidering on the car you're looking at - that's been the consistent tell-tale location.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Colors affected were the Yellow and Blue. Mostly yellows, very few blues. Ultimately the yellows were the ones that Kia launched a repaint/buyout campaign for.

No other colors were affected. You will be fine which ever color you get as the yellow is no longer available.

OP
S
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I am considering a new 2018 GT2 Yellow and am concerned about the paint issue. My assumption the repaint / buyout is still available? I know the buy outs got a branded title.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
If the car has not been titled previously then it should qualify for the buyout/repaint program. Also that is assuming the dealer has not been asked to do it by Kia, which I doubt as they (Kia) would;ve just bought it out from the dealer.

Also was not aware that there were any brand new yellows still available for sale.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I have a black stinger with 13k miles and my paint looks horrible! My wife has a Chevy traverse with over 30k miles, black as well and still looks great. I love my stinger but the paint quality just straight up sucks...
On August 5th I am having this done...my advice to anyone buying a stinger is to get PPF done right away!

Now I have screwed around with my tail lights, headlight, my buddy repainted front bumper to go badgeless and his clearcoat was off, in right light you can see. So I am getting all of this done on Aug 5th!
This guy/shop is the best of the best in Charlotte NC area and as I'm keeping this car I want a show room look, I have 9 individual paint chips on hood now!!!! Will take them 7 days of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I have the self healing clear bra, love it, expensive but worth it. Definitely saves the front of your car...(y):cool:

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT

Well that's the shine he said I could expect!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
And 1600 of that quote is to fix poor quality work I did or had done:) but yes not cheap!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Wow!...9 layers of ceramic!? That's a bit excessive and quite frankly not worth it. You will be fine with 5 anything higher is just wasting material.

FYI: been doing paint correction and applying coatings for 3 years.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
It's only 4 coats, and one light, rest are on exposed areas. You saying don't bother with extra on exposed areas like mirror cap?

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Wow!...9 layers of ceramic!? That's a bit excessive and quite frankly not worth it. You will be fine with 5 anything higher is just wasting material.

FYI: been doing paint correction and applying coatings for 3 years.
And I wished u lived near me!! :)

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I found a place here in Tempe AZ.to ceramic coat my car for 835.00 but they gave me that price as a sponsor. That coating would cover everything down to the wheels. They also are going to buff my car before they apply it to make sure the paint is perfect.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I found a place here in Tempe AZ.to ceramic coat my car for 835.00 but they gave me that price as a sponsor. That coating would cover everything down to the wheels. They also are going to buff my car before they apply it to make sure the paint is perfect.
That's awesome!! I have done my research in this area, I've done things the wrong way and I don't mind paying to get my car fixed, protected, and show room quality:)

I'm not sponsored but I'm getting hf1 vossen rims satin black and tires at cost, my buddy owns a rim shop so I'll be saving a grand on nice tires/rims:)

But my take-a-way here is don't screw around, when you buy a nice ride get it protected with PPF and Ceramic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Lord I wish I knew that 7 months ago

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It's only 4 coats, and one light, rest are on exposed areas. You saying don't bother with extra on exposed areas like mirror cap?

Definitely coat as much as you can. Just keep in mind that more coats doesn't equal better protection, as long as you do the proper maintenance on it every time you wash it 3 or 4 coats will be plenty for all areas.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 bmw x5
No I think most if not all the colors were affected the yellow was the only one that KIA publicly admitted to. I have 2018 early build Aurora Black GT2 AWD and after 5k miles and one year I have just started seeing the paint chipping off my car. I am going to see what KIA will do for me but leaning towards just trading it in for a Toyota or Lexus product will take a big hit. Ceramic coating will do nothing no matter how many layers you put on and I know that for a fact so you will just waste your money doing it. It seems to be an adhesion problem not just thin paint. All my paint chips except one have occurred within 1k miles and seems to be a new one every week. You will see that there is no scratches underneath and they will be large chips not rock chips and no dings that is when you know you have the issue. I would not assume it is isolated to a specific month or year until more data is made public or posted in forums or lack there of.