Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Just bought my first car, used 2018 Stinger GT1

jimmy

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Whats up guys! This is my very first car and I just want to know if there are any major issues I need to watch out for. I just bought the car 2 days ago and I'm already having to replace all the valve stems on it.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome & congratulations, post photos when you get a chance.. post some photo's of the valve stems, are the tires loosing air or are they just cracked?

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Lawrence
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 stinger gt
congrats havent had any problems with mine its an 2019 and i got it new so im not too sure about the first year ones

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Congratulations and welcome! Post up some pics!

Had mine over a year and half and no issues so far.

OP
J

jimmy

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #5
Sorry I didn't take pics of them but all the valve stems were cracked, only 1 wheel had a sensor in it, the others didn't. Also, only 3 of my wheels had locks on them which I thought was weird. I only replaced the valve stems since I wasn't getting any warning lights even though all the tires were really low on air. No issues since I replaced them.

Attachments

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Sorry I didn't take pics of them but all the valve stems were cracked, only 1 wheel had a sensor in it, the others didn't. Also, only 3 of my wheels had locks on them which I thought was weird. I only replaced the valve stems since I wasn't getting any warning lights even though all the tires were really low on air. No issues since I replaced them.
You will eventually want to install TPM, that is odd how 3 out of the 4 were cracked.

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
Congrats. You choose wisely. Great car.
Did you buy the car at a KIA dealer? How many miles?
It's your first car ever?

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
my 2018 blows...spends more time in the garage and kia service telling me they cant recreate my problems, then on the road. I hope yours works out.

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
CarM. What is the issues you are dealing with?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
He lowered the car then started experiencing shaking in the front end. Hasn’t figured it out yet and Kia techs haven’t been very helpful

OP
J

jimmy

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #11
Congrats. You choose wisely. Great car.
Did you buy the car at a KIA dealer? How many miles?
It's your first car ever?
Thanks man im really loving the car so far! I bought it at a Hyundai dealer with 33k miles on it. It was my first time buying a car from a dealer and I must say I was extremely nervous and maybe a little on edge after I bought it. I think it was the fact that I was committing to making payments on something for so long for the first time in my life. It also doesn't help that I get bad vibes everytime I step in a dealership. Driving in sport mode got me over all of that though lol.

OP
J

jimmy

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #12
You will eventually want to install TPM, that is odd how 3 out of the 4 were cracked.
I will, I figure I have about a year's worth of life left on the tires so I'll install the tpms when I replace them. I plan on getting some new rotors and pads around the same time as well.

OP
J

jimmy

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #13
my 2018 blows...spends more time in the garage and kia service telling me they cant recreate my problems, then on the road. I hope yours works out.
So far I haven't had any issues with mine. It runs great and the previous owner installed a K&N intake so I lucked out on that. The only complaint I have is with the visibility out the back but I'm pretty aware of the cars that are around me.
Sorry to hear about yours though, I hope they get things figured out for you soon.

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
So far I haven't had any issues with mine. It runs great and the previous owner installed a K&N intake so I lucked out on that. The only complaint I have is with the visibility out the back but I'm pretty aware of the cars that are around me.
Sorry to hear about yours though, I hope they get things figured out for you soon.
Try driving a 5th gen Camaro for 3 years... after that the visibility out the back of the Stinger is great. 😎

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
I had a new V6 manual trans 5th gen, yeah, outward visibility was tough.

Reactions
City
Duluth
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT AWD
I was told over a decade ago to never lower a car--it never feels the same.just get bigger (wider) tires if you want more handling.Also the stinger is already low--but luckily the frame sits up some.Any lower and you risk the front spoilers getting damaged.Also--I am no expert--but I have an AWD--the torque vectoring is measuring a lot of factors--I figure lowering it would not be good for the overall car.Nothing is worse then having a car that is always in the shop.I left ford products years ago and never returned because of that and the way I was treated.and I am a customer that buys my car outright and does all the maintenece at the dealer.KIA told me that I can do the following without affecting the warranty.exhaust--after the cat converters--an intake and a ECU tune--a mild one--bigger tires and performance rotors.I am fine with that since the car is already very fast for the money.in fact in the USA--many very expensive AMG--BMW--AUDI a lot of them are governed to 155--some mustangs and camaros also do not get above 160 mph unless you get more performance models.A 167 mph top end--in which there are videos of it can be done in 39 to 46 seconds from a standstill is extremely fast for this type of car.I do not plan on pushing this car to its absolute limits--maybe a silver state classic top speed run--but I doubt I am going to track mine--also the rotors are normal rotors folks--do not track the car unless you get some higher end rotors.

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
"Mild tune"? That's a little vague. Sounds more like "tune it, and if something goes wrong WARRANTY VOID!"

Also, top speed for the 2019 Stinger GT with the 18" All Season tires is governed to 130 mph (149 mph for 2020 models and the 19" All Season rubber).

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 StingerGT2 AWD
Hmm <thinks to self> I'm gonna have to talk to my 2018 AWD about not paying attention to it's own speed governor.

Reactions
City
Duluth
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT AWD
Mild tune is an ECU tune--which can only give you maybe 90 hP max by optimizing the computer.Thats what is meant--spoke to KIA about this.If you add parts or add a chip or anything that is attached to the car that is aftermarket--turbos--wastegates--increasing the boost--then you void the warranty.I know in GA you can use a company called pressertech and their tune will not affect the warranty.It can only be a mild ECU tune to the computer to optimize performance--it is 1200 dollars and several people sith stingers have had it done.I have talked to 2 guys on facebook who did this tune 2 years agao--one has 20k and the other has put 40k and has tracked his car and had no problems.