Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

GT1 transmission has become very clunky

Reactions
Hey everyone - 2019 GT1 with 2K miles. So I noticed that the car started to take park pretty hard. I thought it was random since it’s not every time. Then I noticed the doors weren’t unlocking when I put it in park even though I have it set that way. NEXT I noticed that the downshifts are much more noticeable. Driving in comfort mode with normal speed/deceleration. I didn’t see any other posts with anything like this. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas? Any TSBs for a reflash maybe?
Thanks

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I haven’t noticed anything like that yet and I have 30k

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
There was a transmission software update for the GTs and GT1s not sure if it applies for yours, but it might be worth checking

Reactions
City
Lakewood ranch
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT1 RWD.
Hi Deeepsix ,drive 2019 GT1 and sometimes it has a banging sound going into park. Only electrical problem is the radio sometimes does not come on. Will look into transmissions software updates as robz32 suggested.
StevoGt1

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I have noticed that when the transmission is cold it will downshift harder but yours sounds like a software issue..

tgurian

Reactions
Hey everyone - 2019 GT1 with 2K miles. So I noticed that the car started to take park pretty hard. I thought it was random since it’s not every time. Then I noticed the doors weren’t unlocking when I put it in park even though I have it set that way. NEXT I noticed that the downshifts are much more noticeable. Driving in comfort mode with normal speed/deceleration. I didn’t see any other posts with anything like this. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas? Any TSBs for a reflash maybe?
Thanks
Sorry to revive this.

I also experienced the downshift issue, also happened much more aggressively when the car was cold. Bring your car to the dealer and ask them to do a reset of the transmission control module.

I brought my car to the dealer for the rough downshift issue, this was the only thing they attempted and it worked very well.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Sorry to revive this.

I also experienced the downshift issue, also happened much more aggressively when the car was cold. Bring your car to the dealer and ask them to do a reset of the transmission control module.

I brought my car to the dealer for the rough downshift issue, this was the only thing they attempted and it worked very well.
Thanks so much. I had it in for the first oil change and it was too “warm” to reproduce but it’s definitely still there. I’ll ask them to do this next time i have it in. The only wrinkle is timing - I’ve had it nearly 9 months and just hit 3800 miles...guess I might make a trip pre oil change #2

Jobuhat

Reactions
City
Jackson
State
WY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
I recently had the same rough downshift issue on my GT1 (19K mi.) and brought it in to reset the transmission control module. It seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for this post!! BTW, the service dept. at the dealer told me they have never had anyone ask for the transmission reset before, and wondered why. They did it for free nonetheless.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome @Jobuhat, I've noticed that when the tranny is cold...

Jobuhat

Reactions
City
Jackson
State
WY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
It was happening for me all the time. Roughest downshift as around 12 mph.