Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Drove a GT Yesterday (Review)

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Hi guys,

The dealership here in good ol' Rapid City got three Stingers this past Tuesday (a base 2.0T, GT and GT2). I've been working with a salesman for the past 6 months regarding any info he or his manager has passed onto him. He's been great and kept me up-to-date on the Stinger. I was able to drive one yesterday. It was the GT model w/AWD. The pictures below are of the car I drove. The weather was much better than when the photos were taken on Tuesday, I'm guessing when they got them off the truck. I drove it for about 30 minutes and then played with it in the parking lot for another 20 minutes or so. I wanted to get a video review but he didn't have time for all of that which I understood; he's a car salesman and they make money by selling. Here's my take:

First Impressions

The car was on the lot waiting for me since I told him I'd be there shortly. This car is stunning as you drive up to it. I'm not one for flashy colors but the blue shined well. Immediately after I got in, I noticed how nice of a place it is to be. All black interior is my 2nd favorite (behind red) so it got a thumbs up from me. The cabin felt small but not as in a clustered or tight way. It was more of a claustrophobic way. I'm not claustrophobic so it was a positive feeling, maybe a safe or "in control" feeling. I loved how it felt inside. Outward visibility is good and rear visibility isn't the best. Think of a cross between a 6th gen Camaro and a '94 Impala SS. It is in between those two so hopefully you know both of those cars lol The rear seats have modest headroom but the legroom lacks heavily because of the cargo space in the hatch. I'm not that tall, 6 ft, on a good day, and I had to move the passenger seat up quite a bit before I could get in and out without complaining.

Feature Impressions

This is the bit where I got turned off by the GT. We have all read the specs on each trim level but you don't notice how little there is until your in the driver's seat, finding what it has to offer. I noticed heated seats, heated steering wheel, automatic start/stop function, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, backup camera, and that's literally it folks. It did have the different driving modes which I messed with while I was driving. It did have the 3" cluster display which showed MPG's, driving mode, speed, tire pressure, and a few other data points. On a car with a $44k price tag, especially a KIA, I expected more creature comforts. Yes, I know that more features are to be had on the GT1 and GT2 trim levels but let's not forget that the 2.0 Premium has more to offer and starts at $38k. You have to wonder if the 3.3TT is worth the extra $$$$$.

Driving Impressions

Yes, the 3.3TT is worth the extra $$$$$. On start up, it was very quiet. They have muffled the pi** out of this car. To some, this is a deal breaker. For me, I loved it. I have always been intrigued by sleeping and riding under the radar not being noticed until someone comes along and realizes what it is. It is no deal breaker for me. It had paddle shifters which were a nice touch. I can confirm that is does automatically up shift in Sport mode if you have activated semi-automatic shifting (paddles or shifter). My first pull was at a light, I was in front so no worries about traffic. I didn't jump immediately on it but gave it some. The torque is almost instant if you ease into it. That was in full-automatic mode. Next I jumped on the highway and put it down to the floor. What surprised me was the speed but not because it was fast, but because it was a KIA doing this.

I know... I know... Hear me out!

I have had a C6 LS3 and that would probably run circles around it so I know what fast is. This "fast" that you think about in the Stinger brings about a different realm of speed; I've never felt it before. We know the stats of 0-60mph and 1/4 times verified by numerous magazines so before you drive it, you know what it's got. But, the feeling that I got was more of a surprise rather than a, "holy crap this is fast." I didn't really feel the speed until I let off and I was already at 60mph. I did a few digs at stoplights and since it was AWD, zero wheel spin. It hooks and goes. I did one brake stand and I am confident that it is well below 5 seconds to 60mph. I can't speak for the RWD but this one felt very healthy. Launch control is obsolete on this trim and I left traction control on so I didn't scare the salesman (yeah right, he has a Charger Hellcat). I didn't do any canyon driving or twisties but in Sport Mode, the steering is noticeably tighter and more stiff. There isn't a lot of feedback at low speeds which may be irrelevant but the feel and stiffness was impressive. Sound levels were a bit high as the other reviews suggest. Road noise on the highway wasn't terrible but more sound-deadening material wouldn't hurt. In all 4 driving modes, the ride never became harsh; more plush and forgiving if you will. Over train tracks, it doesn't go side-to-side, its planted and you honestly don't feel much. A refined driving experience can accommodate explaining this.

Blanket Review

Overall, this car is impressive regardless of which aspect you look at. The GT2 was there but they had it in the showroom. I wasn't going to push my luck before it ran out. This GT will appeal to more driver focused or minimalist people. It has the basics which, most of the time, is enough for most people. However, when you go to sell it, remember that there are less expensive cars with more features. The 3.3TT will be the main selling point for this car. The body-lines, the fastback profile/roofline, the inviting and precise interior all accentuates around the power-plant of this car. I am very impressed with KIA and their ability to deliver a car that focuses on enthusiasts rather than commuters. And for that, I thank them!

Looks - 9/10
Driving - 8/10
Engine - 9/10
Poise - 9/10
Interior - 8/10
Specialness - 10/10 Why? Because it's a F****** KIA [twothumb]

The big question: Would I buy it?

To be honest, I longed for more in the GT. I sat in the GT2 and felt more complete. At GT2 pricing, I would jump on it without hesitation. For those of you thinking that the base 2.0 or the GT isn't worth the money, go drive one and see if it fits your needs. It's worth it if you, yourself, find it appealing. I'll be waiting for my P2M w/Red leather (also Thunder Grey in some markets) as I am picky about my money when it comes to cars. A Genesis is still in the back of my mind which tickles more of my posh side as my girlfriend would say...

Thanks for reading through if you had the patience for it! Feel free to ask any questions, I'm an open book [popcorn]

Cheers Guys,

Dan

KNAE35LC6J6011810_3.jpg KNAE35LC6J6011810_2.jpg KNAE35LC6J6011810_5.jpg

Last edited:

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Great write-up [MENTION=94]Stingin' Away[/MENTION]

I agree with you on your driving impressions, with the turbo lag power wasn't immediate but once it came on there was plenty of it. I didn't get a chance to try out launch mode, but I think that where you'll see a big difference in terms of power delivery.

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
Thanks man [MENTION=87]VegasStinger[/MENTION] On the highway pull, it hesitated a bit but that's to be expected of non-sequential turbos. There may be a bit too much lag for some people but it's something I can live with.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Great review, are you still holding out for the G70?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Great write-up! I enjoyed your perspective. I can't wait for this frigid weather to end and get rid of some of the snow pack.

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
Great review, are you still holding out for the G70?
It's actually the Hyundai Genesis. It's a 2015 and certified so I'll have the original warranty. It doesn't have the capabilities of the Stinger by any means but it is quite easy on the eyes. I've only sat in one, not driven so I will need to drive that before I make a set decision. The lady would like the Genesis better and I can see why.

Great write-up! I enjoyed your perspective. I can't wait for this frigid weather to end and get rid of some of the snow pack.
I, too, am ready for it to be over. We both know it's just starting though lol I drove through Chicago last weekend heading to Ohio around lunch time and I hated it. Toll roads and the traffic are not my thing coming from a city with 80 mph limits and 60k people total. I'm glad you have AWD since you live in that area. You'll be able to drive it whenever.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great write up...Definitely the trim to have is the GT2. During my test drive (of a GT2) I found that power delivery was very linear, turbo lag was not that noticeable but you can feel the turbos come in at around 2500rpm, and when they do kick in that car simply moves. The lag is something that I can definitely live with and it can be remedied by simply doing a couple of upgrades.

I am getting a GT2 however I want the red interior as well. Like you I am picky with my money and I will be holding off

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
The G70 was the first car I've seen on my car search.
After that, I went to Kia.
Both cars are identical to the technology.
Only I felt more comfortable in the stinger.
However, I have never driven the G70 test.
But as far as the look of the interior and exterior is concerned, I find the G70 too chic.
The G70 tries to give me a sense of extravagance, which he can not convincingly convey.
The Stinger conveys more of an adult sportiness without exaggeration.

If I want chic, then I go to Mercedes, Lexus or Audi.
At least that was my first thought after seeing the G70.
At the Stinger it was more love at first sight. Exactly what I wanted.

And since I'm just a normal driver who likes to run faster and has fun on beautiful machines, the decision was made.

The turbo lag did not strike me during my test drive and I believe that it does not stand out in normal traffic.

And if I want to drive really fast, there is still the motorcycle.
But let's wait. Do not think that I drive a lot of motorbike in the upcoming season :)

Greetings Slowy

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #10
The G70 was the first car I've seen on my car search.
After that, I went to Kia.
Both cars are identical to the technology.
Only I felt more comfortable in the stinger.

Greetings Slowy
I think they should have waited on the release of the G70. Having two sports cars from the same overall company come out at the same time, it will take the "hype" away from one of them. In this case, the G70 is going to suffer because of the attention the Stinger has. I would've waited for the 2019 model year to release it.