Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dedicated track tires

Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Hi all, I am a new member, but have been reading these forums since before I purchased my Stinger GT over a year ago.

I took my car to a HPDE event at MSR Houston a few months ago, and I had a great time. I'm thinking of doing more track days next year, but was wondering if I should get some dedicated wheels and tires for the track? Has anyone else purchased wheels and tires specifically for the track? Any recommendations?

I'm thinking of doing a square set up. But wasn't sure on the best wheel size for track use. I think 18" wheels would fit over the brakes and give more tire selection, but I haven't found any examples.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome aboard, I haven't heard of anyone that has wheels & tires dedicated for the track, winter & summer yes. You can run either 18's or 19's on the car, are you going to autocross or 1/4 mile the car? If your going to 1/4 mile the car your going to want a wider rear tire if it's RWD. Personally I run the 19's, they seem to work well with the car.

OP
T
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
I plan on taking advantage of the MSR Houston road course. It's a 2.38 mile track, and they host several weekend events a year. The last time I went, I got about 4 hours of track time with an instructor. The stock brake pads were gone by the last 30 minute session (which was expected). But the tires took a beating too.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I have a set of Toyo Proxes R888R that I use on my Focus RS.

I would also suggest getting a square setup so you can rotate the tires around. Potenza RE-11 are great track tires.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Get a set of Enkei RPF1s (square setup) and a set of Toyo R888 and you are set.

The guys at BMS are using that setup as well.

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The stock brake pads were gone by the last 30 minute session
If your going to track the car, if I were you I would change your brake pads. the stock pads are junk, but I would do a square setup. Tire wise, it just depends on how much you want to spend on tires.. Oh yeah, change out the sway bars, It's like night an day when you do that...

OP
T
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
Get a set of Enkei RPF1s (square setup) and a set of Toyo R888 and you are set.

The guys a BMS are using that setup as well.
Thanks, I will definitely look into these.

OP
T
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #8
... Oh yeah, change out the sway bars, It's like night an day when you do that...
How is the ride on the street, after upgrading the sway bars?

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
What’s your track experience level?

If you’re a beginner that I would highly recommend that you DO NOT upgrade your tires yet. The added grip of sticky tires will allow you to carry more speed into corners BUT will also narrow the range at which the tire will give way, leading to a potentially dangerous condition where you lose control of the car at a higher speed than you would if you had less gripper tires. Get more familiar with your car, learn some good car control and enjoy it for what it is before upgrading. It’s the safer thing to do.

What you definitely should do, though, is upgrade the brake fluid to DOT4 (I like ATE Typ 200 due the price point and higher boiling point) and track ready brake pads (the OEM Eurospec pad at a bare minimum) to handle the heat.
Also if you upgrade tires, you’ll need to upgrade pads anyway to take advantage of the added grip, so might as well start by upgrading pads.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Just a slight bit firmer than stock. I do have the stock GT though, I don’t have the ECS system. @spider55 is right, night and day difference just from upgrading the sway bars

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
It's like night and day, the best mod for handling. Another mod would be the ATQ subframe Chassis collar kit & the ultra racing Chassis Bracing, I have those mods on my car, plusthe Eibach pro lowering springs. The car is pretty FLAT around corner's. If your on a budget I would start with the sway bars..

OP
T
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #12
What’s your track experience level?
....so might as well start by upgrading pads.
I really appreciate the detailed response. I agree with not setting up the car beyond the ability of the driver. My track experience is between novice and intermediate. My plan would be to get dedicated wheels for a square set up, and put on tires with similar grip as stock until I get closer to the limits. Upgrades to brake pads and fluid goes without saying.

What are your thoughts on ideal wheel size?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
A 19x9 would work, you can run the PS4S they have a little more grip then the stock PS4 but they are pretty close. I forgot to mention, if you haven't installed one yet, a oil catch can is necessary for the PCV side of the engine.

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
I really appreciate the detailed response. I agree with not setting up the car beyond the ability of the driver. My track experience is between novice and intermediate. My plan would be to get dedicated wheels for a square set up, and put on tires with similar grip as stock until I get closer to the limits. Upgrades to brake pads and fluid goes without saying.

What are your thoughts on ideal wheel size?
My plan right now is to get 20” wheels and tires and my stock 19” wheel/tires will be Track set until I wear those tires down. At that time I may end up picking up a second set of OEM rears to make it a square setup OR I’d buy a set of 18x9” flow formed (aka rotary forged, MAT, flow forged, etc) wheels with some sticky rubber on them.
When it comes to track sets you’re mainly trying to find the ideal tire size, then backing out the wheel size that’ll fit those tires.