Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Considering a Regal GS... talk me out of it

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but Buick is running INSANE deals right now on Buick GS's. Fully loaded 2019 Regal GS's can be obtained for $35K-$36K... inclusive of massaging seats, wireless phone charging, LCD cluster, sport exhaust, adaptive cruise, AWD, Bose stereos, etc, etc. I'd like the Kia Stinger better for my next purchase BUT a Regal GS for $35K-$36K is a heck of a deal.

[video=youtube;d8C_sVqN9nA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8C_sVqN9nA[/video]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
bleh, dont do it

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 stinger
Reason 1 - 365HP/376 lb-ft VS 310 hp/282 lb-ft
Reason 2 - 0-60: 4.6 VS 5.8
Reason 3 - Curb weight: 3,800ish VS 4,270 lbs

Bonus reason - $700 for a JB4 tune and your over 400HP.

Do i need to keep going? 37K could get you a GT if you look around.

1 Important thing to remember IF you get the Regal GS... Dont forget to wave at a civic when it passes you :)

OP
pantheman75
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
Thread Starter #4
Reason 1 - 365HP/376 lb-ft VS 310 hp/282 lb-ft
Reason 2 - 0-60: 4.6 VS 5.8
Reason 3 - Curb weight: 3,800ish VS 4,270 lbs

Bonus reason - $700 for a JB4 tune and your over 400HP.

Do i need to keep going? 37K could get you a GT if you look around.
Actually... road tests have clocked it at 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. Not as fast as the Stinger, but no slouch by any means.

[video=youtube_share;qeIhkY79PX8]https://youtu.be/qeIhkY79PX8?t=629[/video]

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 stinger
I personal just dont like the look and specs of the GS for 35k.
Think the only Buick Id like to drive would be a 70-72 Buick GSX.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I wouldn’t blame you looking at it also. Nice looking car, also a hatch, similar feature set, but it is front wheel drive based. I wanted a rwd performance car when I was looking. I’m actually a person that picked up my Stinger for $37k. No, it doesn’t have all the available options that you listed a Regal GS could come with. I remember coming across this gem of a video
https://youtu.be/G9TWZ0aWiPE

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Not going to lie the new Regal is a sharp looking car but I'd be more about reliability. You can probably get a new 2018 Stinger GT for $35K-$36K

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
If I wanted a car for when I'm retired I'd get the Buick GS, but I wanted a car that is easy to get horsepower out of and that's the Stinger. It would take a lot of money to get horsepower out of the Buick an it still won't come close to the stinger.

I'm with [MENTION=2170]bourgeoisx[/MENTION], if I was to get a Buick it would be the 70 to 72 GSX. I forgot about the Grand national GNX, thanks [MENTION=1421]upstatedoc[/MENTION].

Last edited:
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I'm with [MENTION=2170]bourgeoisx[/MENTION], if I was to get a Buick it would be the 70 to 72 GSX.
I was going to post the exact same thing.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Material looks very cheap on the Regal compared to the Stinger.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Buick is sharp and a nice car without a doubt, however, I believe the rear legroom is better on stinger (important aspect for me buying a sedan with kids) plus I enjoy turbo cars for ease of power tuning and the way boost comes on.

Either way both cars are unique where you won't see too many on the road. I like the idea of massaging seats in an affordable package, but I prefer rear legroom, turbo and rear biased drivetrain. I too got my GT for mid 30s at year-end and lease cash offer. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but just depends on what you want. Most folks would say the Buick's NA engine is simpler and more reliable/lower cost, but there could always be surprises

OP
pantheman75
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
Thread Starter #14
That Regal GS interior with the massaging seats though...

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX

OP
pantheman75
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
Thread Starter #18
Update: Both the Stinger and Regal GS are still in the mix. The deals on either of those cars are out there, with the Stinger being my number one choice and the Regal GS still being a better overall bang for the buck (IMHO). The problem I'm having is that my trade value appears to be in the toilet. I can't find any dealers that will give me what Edmunds and KBB says my trade is worth. I'm currently trying to sell my car on my own, but who knows how long that will take.

Sabs

Reactions
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
'19 GT2 RWD Ceramic/Red
Really don't like that the Regal GS doesn't offer paddle shifters. Seems absurd for the performance it offers.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Update: Both the Stinger and Regal GS are still in the mix. The deals on either of those cars are out there, with the Stinger being my number one choice and the Regal GS still being a better overall bang for the buck (IMHO). The problem I'm having is that my trade value appears to be in the toilet. I can't find any dealers that will give me what Edmunds and KBB says my trade is worth. I'm currently trying to sell my car on my own, but who knows how long that will take.
Take your car to carmax for an appraisal. It's free and they don't try to pressure you to sell on the spot. I've done that twice didn't end up selling to them but both times the carmax no haggle offer was thousands higher than new car dealers original offer for my trade and I felt it gave me leverage to push them up.