Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Catch Can Thread

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Reserved for upcoming information.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Here's a couple of good PCV catch cans that should work on the Kia Stinger. I had the Booba Racing catch can on my Focus ST. They are super easy to install and there are plenty of mounting space in the Stinger's engine compartment.

Mishimoto 2 Port Compact Baffled

Boomba Racing Universal Catch Can

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, I'm an idiot.

Would someone mind teaching me about catch cans and what they do?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
So, I'm an idiot.

Would someone mind teaching me about catch cans and what they do?

Someone's gonna come along and explain this MUCH better than I. But, basically, for emissions, etc., there is a hose going from the engine back to the intake in order to recover and burn any unburned fuel and gases. Oil can travel in that line. Oil can then get into the intake and turbo which can drastically reduce their life. A catch can has a hose running to it from the engine while the intake's hose fitting is plugged. The catch can has a breather element (think air filter) and a can to "catch" the oil. You empty the catch can every few thousand miles. Again, my understanding only!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
You are not alone. Never saw this or heard about it.

Gretz Slowy

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Someone's gonna come along and explain this MUCH better than I. But, basically, for emissions, etc., there is a hose going from the engine back to the intake in order to recover and burn any unburned fuel and gases. Oil can travel in that line. Oil can then get into the intake and turbo which can drastically reduce their life. A catch can has a hose running to it from the engine while the intake's hose fitting is plugged. The catch can has a breather element (think air filter) and a can to "catch" the oil. You empty the catch can every few thousand miles. Again, my understanding only!
So we're talking about the EGR valve. Why will oil be coming through? Lots of rings and seals to keep the oil where it belongs.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
As Kazz stated the catch can acts like a condenser. Taking water, gas and oil vapors coming from the crank case and condenses it back to liquid form in a tank so it doesn't enter the intake stream and gums up the intake valves. On port injected engines this wasn't much of an issue but on direct injected engines it is an issue since the intake valves are no longer washed in fuel as it enters the combustion chamber. The fuel spraying the intake valves kept the crud from building up.

To minimize the oil vapors use a high quality low NOACK synthetic engine oil. NOACK measures the volatility. Higher the percentage number the easier the oil tends to vapor off from heat.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
As Kazz stated the catch can acts like a condenser. Taking water, gas and oil vapors coming from the crank case and condenses it back to liquid form in a tank so it doesn't enter the intake stream and gums up the intake valves. On port injected engines this wasn't much of an issue but on direct injected engines it is an issue since the intake valves are no longer washed in fuel as it enters the combustion chamber. The fuel spraying the intake valves kept the crud from building up.

To minimize the oil vapors use a high quality low NOACK synthetic engine oil. NOACK measures the volatility. Higher the percentage number the easier the oil tends to vapor off from heat.
There's the answer we were waiting for! Thanks [MENTION=320]Bubbabiker[/MENTION]!

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
[MENTION=320]Bubbabiker[/MENTION]! is spot on. Here's a video that visually explains how a CC works. I've been using a CC on my FiST for about 4 years and it's great for preventative maintenance.
[video=youtube;Y8UxldLDZpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UxldLDZpM[/video]

Carbon Build up on Direct Injection Engine
[video=youtube;PS8riAae_bM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2703081749&feature=iv&list=UUYrY1uZ6DqStCPPg10Q-S4A&src_vid=Y8UxldLDZpM&v=PS8riAae_bM[/video]

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2005 Dodge Magnum RT 392 Stroker
Catch cans were/are a huge item in the Hemi gen 3 motor world. It was amazing the amount of oil you would get in one of these catch cans in a somewhat short time of driving.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0l Premium
Which catch can wouild work best with the 2.0?

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT
'03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
'18 Kia Stinger 2.0 Premium (Micro Blue)

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
David and I just had a discussion about this one. Lol

For everyone who isn't sure about the installation, he says and I quote:

"Absolutely, this version comes with not only instructions, but a blueprint of your engine, showing you were each and every hose and plug is supposed to go. This version also includes all of the hoses and everything needed for your specific vehicle.*"

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
David and I just had a discussion about this one. Lol

For everyone who isn't sure about the installation, he says and I quote:

"Absolutely, this version comes with not only instructions, but a blueprint of your engine, showing you were each and every hose and plug is supposed to go. This version also includes all of the hoses and everything needed for your specific vehicle.*"

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT

Perfect, are you going to get the blue color? Take some nice photos for us.[^]

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Perfect, are you going to get the blue color? Take some nice photos for us.[^]
Yes! Absolutely.

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
[MENTION=682]Firemedix[/MENTION] it'll be interesting to see how much oil this CC will collect for 2.0 Stingers.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Which catch can wouild work best with the 2.0?

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT
With the 2.0 you can benefit from either. Obviously the dual inlet is the best option as you cover both PCV and intake sides.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Oookay. So I received the Add W1 v3.3 and was looking for instructions on how to install it but it seems to be lacking? Can anyone lend assistance for the 2.0?

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
I'm still waiting for instructions from stinger store

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I'm still waiting for instructions from stinger store
I just sent an email

Firemedix - Lakeland, FL

'96 Ford Bronco XLT