Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
Lots of reading here and at least be thankful Kia would replace a wearable part in a 1yr/12k miles. Let's be honest, dealers are not going to advertise this on megaphones but it takes a community like this to bring up some of these issues. Also if the OEM rotors are that crappy, you have plenty of aftermarket options at very competitive prices to include drilled and slotted. I personally go with slotted rotors if the option is available over drilled. These will most likely double the life of the current OEM rotors.

Does anyone have a spec on thickness of the rotor?

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I got new pads and rotors a couple of weeks ago so far so good

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
still have the grinding with the third set, will give it a bit to see if it goes away

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I've noticed a noise when I stop from high speed like there is a rough surface on the pad or rotor. Like a rrrrrrrrr-rrrrr--rrrrr noise. Maybe it's what you guys are saying is grinding.

It's not pulsing yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come back. Funny it's not all of them. The one with the brake issue is a 2019 GT1. I also have a 2018 GT2 and the brakes are 100% fine.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I've noticed a noise when I stop from high speed like there is a rough surface on the pad or rotor. Like a rrrrrrrrr-rrrrr--rrrrr noise. Maybe it's what you guys are saying is grinding.

It's not pulsing yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come back. Funny it's not all of them. The one with the brake issue is a 2019 GT1. I also have a 2018 GT2 and the brakes are 100% fine.
thats exactly the sensation, did you have rotors replaced on '19?

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
The brakes also squeak on the 19 before new rotors/pads and I've noticed it coming back again a few weeks after the rotors/pads

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
sounds like we both got the "new and improved" rotors

ArdyA

Reactions
City
Dunkirk
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT RWD
that is the opposite of the proper bedding procedure.

When following these instructions, avoid other vehicles. Bedding is best done when traffic is light, as other drivers will have no idea what you are up to and may respond in a variety of ways ranging from fear to curiosity to aggression. A police officer will probably not sympathize when you try to explain why you were driving erratically! Use common sense!
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
  5. If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC11 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 20 mph.
After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on each rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.
Thank you!

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
mmm, yeah still have the grinding when braking. meeting up with service manager this weekend. and btw my KIA dealer no longer has any stingers on the lot, bad sign?

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I had my buddy recheck, he found no TSA fro the brakes, I think Kia is simply making use of the manufacturers warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
So these arrived today. Fun weekend project coming up.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Can u shoot link from where u got them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
site says they are now on backorder

Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Audi A4
The website for the rotors has no specs whatsoever on these. Just for the ones who would want this info, you should at least weigh the new ones and the old ones for comparison. Rotor thickness would not hurt either and update another thread running with detailed specs.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
site says they are now on backorder
Give Nick a call, he is always in the loop as to when they will have more in stock, they are using his Stinger for product development.
951-677-6566

G30aZ

Reactions
Had the rotors resurfaced at 10,000 miles and again at 19,500. This is definitely a warranty issue. Do not drive and brake hard. Mostly highway miles. One of the service reps at the dealership also had his Stinger's rotors turned around 10K. When will KIA come up with a fix for this?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Had the rotors resurfaced at 10,000 miles and again at 19,500. This is definitely a warranty issue. Do not drive and brake hard. Mostly highway miles. One of the service reps at the dealership also had his Stinger's rotors turned around 10K. When will KIA come up with a fix for this?
there is a fix, different rotors. met with service advisor last week. tech says there is nothing mechanically wrong with the pads and rotors. he thinks the grinding will go away once the pads get used to the new rotors. i told him he would be the first to know if it didn't

Reactions
Hey everyone - can anyone send me a copy of a repair order where Kia covered the repair? I have 7000 miles on my 2019 and warped rotors and the dealership is giving me the runaround. Already have Kia corporate involved but I’m wanting to have as much ammunition as possible if it goes sideways. Thanks