Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone using RaceChip RS on 2.0T?

kenmsax

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Trying to decide between Lap3, RaceChip, and JB4. Anyone running RaceChip RS on 2.0? If so, how does it feel? Wishing you had gone for GTS?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
I splurged and ended up getting GTS, there's a noticeable difference between stock and tune.

OP
K

kenmsax

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
I splurged and ended up getting GTS, there's a noticeable difference between stock and tune.
Thanks. I had a Mk7 GTI with a flash. That definitely made a noticeable difference. Hoping for something similar with the Stinger. Did you do plugs too?

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
Thanks. I had a Mk7 GTI with a flash. That definitely made a noticeable difference. Hoping for something similar with the Stinger. Did you do plugs too?

I did, figured it wasn't worth the risk.

OP
K

kenmsax

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
I did, figured it wasn't worth the risk.
I'll do same. which ones did you go with?

T-GDi

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Confirmation from my side: plugs are a must if you want to tune it. I also run the HKS plugs and I'm satisfied.
I also went for the GTS. There is no way to upgrade from a RS to a GTS at a later point. So I was afraid I would regret my decision at one point.
If you have only 91 octane the RS is a good bang for the buck. However, if you have 93 octane I would take the GTS.

OP
K

kenmsax

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
Confirmation from my side: plugs are a must if you want to tune it. I also run the HKS plugs and I'm satisfied.
I also went for the GTS. There is no way to upgrade from a RS to a GTS at a later point. So I was afraid I would regret my decision at one point.
If you have only 91 octane the RS is a good bang for the buck. However, if you have 93 octane I would take the GTS.
Thanks for the info. 93 octane here. Will probably go for GTS. How long have you had it?

T-GDi

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thanks for the info. 93 octane here. Will probably go for GTS. How long have you had it?

I installed it in May. Almost 8000 miles now.

TJH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
I installed it in May. Almost 8000 miles now.
Just wondering... have you done any dyno comparisons with stock? Does the car drive and accelerate as smoothly as stock?

Many thanks.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Hello. I just purchased the RS for my 2.0T today. Once installed, I will post updates on my results. I only have 1,300 miles on car so far, so I will probably wait until past 2k to 3k break-in mileage has past. I plan to install the HKS plugs as well with a K&N drop in filter (filter made a difference with my traded in 2015 274 hp Optima Turbo. I'm wanting at least 300 hp at the crank.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Just dropped in the K&N filter,gapped the OEM NGKplugs between. 024 and. 026, and installed the Racechip RS. Will provide feedback after the first few days.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
First update with Racechip RS on Stinger 2.0. Let me start by saying that I traded in my 2015 Optima SX Turbo with 274 hp for the base Stinger. I've outrun a base Stinger about a year ago in the Optima and always wanted to know how the Optima would fare against a Focus ST.

I didn't have to wait for more than a day after installing the Racechip RS in my Stinger. While at a stop light with 3 lanes, a Focus ST made a Uturn from opposite side now headed in my direction. I'm pretty sure he saw me at the light with my bright parking lights on. He accelerated with his exhaust blaring. Low and behold, he was at the next stop light in the middle lane.

Of course, there wasn't a vehicle in the lane I was in. I thought about rolling to the light thinking it would change before I got there, but it didn't. I had no choice but to pull up next to the Focus ST which had aftermarket parts stickers, etc. I said to myself, here goes nothing with a tiny thought of GT remorse.

The light changed and I went half on the throttle until I heard his engine race and saw the red color of the STs hood through my front windshield.....and then I nailed it. That was the last time I saw the red paint until I looked back through the rear passenger's window. I could see he was trying to race and could hear his engine racing. I had also realized that as my Stinger changed gears, my rear tires chirped with Traction Control on and the Stinger was off and gone. That time that I looked back, the ST was a full car length behind and noticed that he gave up before reaching the next light.

I can honestly tell you that before the Racechip install, regapped plugs and K&N drop in filter.....that ST would have ate me for lunch. GT remorse was put to rest after that. The Stinger was in Sport mode and the Racechip was set on mapping 5. I will try to get quarter mile times at a track later this Spring and possibly a Dyno Test. For now and at 1500 miles on the odometer, I will let everything gel for bit more and enjoy my new performance boost.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Update: About 2 weeks ago, I wasn't feeling like there was a big difference after setting the mapping on 4 for an entire week. It felt responsive, but only in Sport Mode. The next week, I changed the mapping to 5. Early on, only a slight difference was felt over mapping 4. My odometer was still short of 4,000 miles. One day, it hit. I had reached another break-in period as I had done in my Optima SX Turbo. Realizing this, I went ahead and changed the mapping to 6 (93 octane of course) and WOW! The pull at low rpms is very aggressive. There is still a boost delay now and then, but this car pulls hard. No one would believe the car is a 4 cylinder, 2.0 liter engine. I'm close to getting a Dyno, and can't wait to see the results. Stay tuned.

Shri2222

Reactions
City
Knightdale
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 G70 2.0T AWD
Any updates on anyone running race chips? Dynos etc...

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

Shri2222

Reactions
City
Knightdale
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 G70 2.0T AWD
Welcome to the forums, I don't know of anybody that runs the race chip. I've seen videos in the past but a lot of people have gotten rid of them to buy a JB4 or a Lap3.

Read through this thread about the different piggy back tunes..

https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/...-issues-diagnostic-and-questions-thread.1200/

Thanks, I ordered a GTS Black for my G70 2.0T. I've been using the stinger forums more due to the lack of info on the G70s and since they are almost the same everything swaps over. I had a JB4 on my F30 BMW which worked very well. I only went with the GTS black because I didn't like that BMS never dyno'ed a 2.0T with a JB4 vs Racechip who tuned their own personal i30s with a similar version of our 2.0Ts. I'll post my review once my HKS plugs come in and I burn this tank of regular from the dealership. I haven't had the car long enough to burn the 1st tank of gas with Covid. Hopefully, it meets expectations and I didn't make a bad judgment call.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
G70 is a great car, heard good reviews on them.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I still have the Racechip RS and have crossed over 40k miles with re-gapped OEM plugs with no issues running 93 octane. I leave the mode/map on 6 full time. I've added the XLR Throttle Controller, Custom Catback race exhaust and Injen Intake with the Racechip RS and it is a beast.....with car in Sport mode. Dynojet in 97F temps gave me 235whp and 257wtq. My Torgue at the wheels has nearly equalled the factoryTorque at the crank. This put the car around 300chp/bhp. Tech said with the Turbo, I could expect around 250whp in cooler temps. Pondering the JB4 to get just a bit more power out of this 2.0t that's already beating sporty 4s, V6s and keeping up with 400hp V8s. I guess this would be similar to how the 4 cylinder front drive, 305 hp Civic Type R is keeping up with the big boys....albeit at a lighter weight.

Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Note: On one of Dyno runs, I removed the Racechip completely (replaced it with the blank block) and ended up with 225whp. This meant that the Racechip RS added 10whp which may be in line with their claim of 40 crank hp. With the Racechip GTS claiming 60 crank hp....i would expect 15 whp. So in essence, Racechip costs $400 for 10whp and $700 for an extra mode (7) and 5whp. So I plan to stick with the RS unless JB4 in map 2 can add 25-30whp to my custom setup. If so, it will be worth the $600 price tag.