Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2020 Stinger Rear Hatch Rattle -- Present or not??

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
KIA Stinger GT2 2018
Hi all,

I have a 2018 GT2 and the famous hatch rattle since around 15k miles (I'm now at 40k miles). I just took it in to the dealer for the 4th time 2 days ago for the same issue (and even the 4th time for the moon roof rattle).

The dealer has done everything KIA stated to do in their pitstop/bulletin plus some more improvisation and nothing has resolved the issue.

I'm now trying to find out if this issue has been resolved in the 2020 model. I might want to sell mine and get the 2020 model if the issue(s) are resolved.

Can anyone comment? My dealer asked his rep if the 2020 model has any improvements for the hatch and all he received was a generic response like KIA always looks to make improvements but literally no elaboration on what area or what type of anything....

Research on this forum indicated to me that the 2019 still had these issues.

Thanks!

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
I took mine to the dealer and they supposedly fixed it-but they didn't. I have yet to pull the guides off myself in order to check the thickness of the shims, but I will be doing so. You may want to do the same. It is not that big of a deal-you may need a torx bit (or similar) if you don't have one, but other than that there is not much to it.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Two washers on right and left bumper going up sides of the hatch fixes it! The dealer fix is one washer, after reading I added second washer and no more hatch issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
City
Fort Worth
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I too had the rear hatch rattle, and took it to the Kia dealership for review and correction. They indicated my car's serial number range, which is a later 2018 GT2 model didn't fit the date range indicated in the "pitstop/bulletin"; therefore they didn't apply the washer/shim solution. Instead they corrected it (partially) by increasing the protrusion of the lower most bump stops at the end of the hatch almost all the way out. It improved the rattle going over bumps, but didn't fully remediate the issue.

Inspired by a YouTube video from another stinger owner, I implemented my own solution that I'll share below in case it helps others. I feel this better supports the hatch more equally at all four contact points, and increases the force applied near the hatch's center of mass. This fix and other variants of the fix have worked for me and other owners according to the YouTube comments, and is safe to try. It's super easy to implement. I didn't go with simply adding extra washers as I wasn't comfortable with the metal-on-paint contact and rust potential.

1) Acquire a rubber sheet from somewhere (home improvement store, amazon, MSCDirect, Grainger, etc.). The mat I had was scrap from a place I worked at many years ago, and is about .025" thick. See exemplar 1/32" thick sheet link below:
Rubber Mat Link
2) Open the hatch and remove the 2 left and right stops illustrated in the photo using the appropriate Torx type bit.
3) Use the stops to trace out 2 rubber "gaskets" the shape of the bump stop, including the thru holes.
4) Use scissors to cut out the traces. Cut out the holes either with a knife, punch, or a drill (please be slow and careful as the drill will grab the rubber!). NOTE: The photo doesn't show the drilled out holes yet as this was an extra cut out I ended up not using.
5) Replace the bump stops with the new gaskets in between the bump stop and the hatch frame as shown. I ended up using two gaskets on each side (.050" total), but feel this is a bit much and will experiment with only one (.025"). Each car will be slightly different, so feel free to experiment with thickness variations.
6) Check hatch closure and make any lower bump stop adjustments as require.

I hope this helps. YouTube video for reference: Hatch Rattle YouTube Video

IMG_0665_1.jpg

IMG_0670_1.jpg

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Very nice! I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Agree with Chris, well done(y)

Reactions
City
Fort Worth
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thanks guys! Keep in mind also, that based on my experimentation there is definitely an interaction between the upper bumper stops (the ones in the photo) and the lower overslam bumpers you can adjust by screwing in and out. Both too much and too little protrusion of the lower overslam bumpers will INCREASE the propensity for rattles. There is definitely a sweet spot that can be found with trial and error.

MaybeKIA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Scotland
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Line S
I can also vouch for the rubber strip solution. I had tried metal washers but they created too much tension on the tailgate (it sat a little higher than before and noticeably "popped" open instead of just lifting). I didn't bother asking the dealership, given how simple and cheap the solution appeared to be. That was back in May and not had a tailgate rattle since. That sunroof creaking, though...

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
I put some vinyl behind the stops over the weekend. Huge improvement. They were probably between 1/16th - 1/8th inch thick. While I still have some creaking over differential surfaces, the hatch noise over speed bumps is gone.

Now I have a slight creak in one of the door panels to deal with.

dunc69

Reactions
City
Bristol
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 3.3 GTS
I

Now I have a slight creak in one of the door panels to deal with.
Creaking doors can be fixed with silicone grease applied to the door frame rubbers. Try this stuff.
2C897A29-FB4A-4A73-87E9-109F8ABE8892.jpeg .

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I used 2 washers on the top bump stops & 2 washers on the bottom bump stops, nice an quiet now. (y)

dunc69

Reactions
City
Bristol
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 3.3 GTS
Hi consequential. If you are serious about changing cars, my 2019 has no issue with the hatch rattle and numerous upgrades on the previous UK 2017 and 2018 model years.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Cheers, Dunc

Last edited:

PapaBobby

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT Line
I had a rattle on the passenger side of my '19 GT Line, and did the washer thing. Worked perfect for me, fast, no rattle, no problem.
19,000 km and that's all I have had to do, love my Stinger.