Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

V6TT - What Turbos Does Kia Use?

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys,

I'm still getting to know my new Stinger. The factory turbos kick in down low with lag and I haven't noticed any running out of puff up high. Who makes the turbos on the V6TT? Is there anything special about them? Do they have variable vanes or any other tricky thing?

Also, I just had the 3000km service done at the local dealer and got them to change the oil. I still have some top shelf expensive Full Synthetic oil that I planned to use in my previous car (FG Falcon XR6 Turbo) Having checked the Owners Manual, it looked like this oil would be acceptable in my new Stinger but the dealer said NO. Although the oil meets the SAE rating (SM if my memory is correct) and has a BETTER temp range (0W-40), it missed out with a couple of other letters (and I am running off my memory here). IF my memory is correct the dealer stated that the oil had to include the letters A50 ... and the oil I have is A30. Can anybody tell me what these figures (A50 & A30) mean?

PAH

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Guys,

I'm still getting to know my new Stinger. The factory turbos kick in down low with lag and I haven't noticed any running out of puff up high. Who makes the turbos on the V6TT? Is there anything special about them? Do they have variable vanes or any other tricky thing?

Also, I just had the 3000km service done at the local dealer and got them to change the oil. I still have some top shelf expensive Full Synthetic oil that I planned to use in my previous car (FG Falcon XR6 Turbo) Having checked the Owners Manual, it looked like this oil would be acceptable in my new Stinger but the dealer said NO. Although the oil meets the SAE rating (SM if my memory is correct) and has a BETTER temp range (0W-40), it missed out with a couple of other letters (and I am running off my memory here). IF my memory is correct the dealer stated that the oil had to include the letters A50 ... and the oil I have is A30. Can anybody tell me what these figures (A50 & A30) mean?

PAH
What is a 3000km service?

Our manuals list the first service under severe duty to be at 5000kms.

What page of the owners manual are you seeing this A30 or A50 spec?

Last edited:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I believe the turbos are made by Honeywell

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
@CKeeler is right, there Honeywell...(y)

Reactions
City
Fort Worth
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
The above posters are correct. They are Honeywell turbos. They are produced under their Garrett moniker. I used to work for Honeywell a few years back, but not their Automotive division that manufactures turbos. They have since spun off this organization into it's own company Garrett Motion.

Honeywell/Garrett makes more turbos than anyone in the world, and have made HUGE strides with turbo technology, particularly over the last 15 years. There isn't anything unusual in terms of application in the Stinger. The evolutionary improvements will certainly be noticeable to us, the consumer in the form of likely very high reliability (based on internal information I've seen about customer returns) and their proprietary technology's ability to produce boost at very low engine RPM, improve fuel economy, and reduce emissions.

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #6
What is a 3000km service?

Our manuals list the first service under severe duty to be at 5000kms.

What page of the owners manual are you seeing this A30 or A50 spec?

Just trying to remember where I saw the A30 vs A50 info. It might have been on documentation at the Dealership Service Dept. When I looked in the service manual, I think it specified only 0W-30.

DJL - It's the complimentary first service. The Kia Australia Service Book lists this at 3000 kms.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
DJL - It's the complimentary first service. The Kia Australia Service Book lists this at 3000 kms.
Interesting. Wonder why the difference.

Does it call for different engine oil as well? The manual I posted was from the Canadian manual

Reactions
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Although there isn't much data on the OEM snails, they don't use any wild tech. They aren't variable vane or twin scroll (on the 3.3L). The low end torque is due to tuning and the fact that only four cylinders directly power the turbos. It would be interesting to see an aftermarket manifold which would incorporate all three ports...although I don't know if there is room to squeeze it in there.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Although there isn't much data on the OEM snails, they don't use any wild tech. They aren't variable vane or twin scroll (on the 3.3L). The low end torque is due to tuning and the fact that only four cylinders directly power the turbos. It would be interesting to see an aftermarket manifold which would incorporate all three ports...although I don't know if there is room to squeeze it in there.
What info told you only two cylinders per side operate the turbo? Every publication I’ve read about the engine says the exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder head. Not attacking you, just wondering where the info came from

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Reactions
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Are you suggesting that 1 cylinder per side, skips the turbo and has its own exhaust bypass that routes around the turbo?

It certainly doesn't have it's own exhaust manifold. I'd have to see the heads, but my guess is they rear cylinders feed in the the front two.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Garret series 14 gt turbos

As said above to be clear
Honeywell Garrett turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
It certainly doesn't have it's own exhaust manifold. I'd have to see the heads, but my guess is they rear cylinders feed in the the front two.
I think you are confusing the integrated header with something else.

All 3 cylinders of each bank flow through their respective turbos.

See attached, some images that should elaborate.

Reactions
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I think you are confusing the integrated header with something else.

All 3 cylinders of each bank flow through their respective turbos.

See attached, some images that should elaborate.

This pic is perfect! This shows how all three exhaust ports flow into the headerfold. Thanks!

Reactions
City
Hurstbourne
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT-Elite
. They are Honeywell turbos. They are produced under their Garrett moniker. [/QUOTE said:
I'd say they are GARRETT turbos. Honeywell did not acquire Garrett--

In 1964, Garrett AiResearch merged with Signal Oil & Gas to form a company renamed in 1968 to Signal Companies, which in 1985 merged with Allied Corp. into AlliedSignal. In 1999 AlliedSignal acquired Honeywell and adopted the Honeywell name.