Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

overheat but no leak

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Good to hear that it's running better, to bad about your wheel, nice looking wheels.

lrvanallen

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KiaStinger Premium
Check by searching for Kia TSBs online. These Technical Service Bulletins are handy for finding recently discovered and reported issues. I recall that there is a small plastic fitting involved with this coolant leaking problem that should be replaced and fixed under warranty when you notify the dealer service department. Keep us posted.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
been diving around, its ok for now, meanwhile my rim was damaged badly by the dealer test drive...another problem after another, gonna contact them next monday on that...
View attachment 2110
WOW there is ZERO rubber on that rim! [rofl]

I couldn't make it a half mile down our roads and the potholes would snap those rubber bands!

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #24
update: so when i first got my car back the overflow tank was 50% full cold, now its down to 10% cold over 100km span...it went up to 25% at hot, seem like there is a leak because i keep smelling coolant(since 2.5k now 5.4k) at my driver side vent, could be heater core leaking or something, gonna drive around more and see if it drop anymore.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
update: so when i first got my car back the overflow tank was 50% full cold, now its down to 10% cold over 100km span...it went up to 25% at hot, seem like there is a leak because i keep smelling coolant(since 2.5k now 5.4k) at my driver side vent, could be heater core leaking or something, gonna drive around more and see if it drop anymore.
There's no other Kia dealers around your area that you can visit?

Reactions
City
Fort Lauderdale
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger GT1
My 2021 3.3 was overheating tonite I so joined this forum and saw this thread. Just discovered my radiator fan harness near passenger side tower brace was not snapped in so I believe that is going to be the fix. I’ll advise if not. On another note, why would air trapped in the system cause a leak as stated in this original thread? I understand trapped air could maybe cause overheating but I’d be suspicious of the dealership not telling me a source of the leak.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
My 2021 3.3 was overheating tonite I so joined this forum and saw this thread. Just discovered my radiator fan harness near passenger side tower brace was not snapped in so I believe that is going to be the fix. I’ll advise if not. On another note, why would air trapped in the system cause a leak as stated in this original thread? I understand trapped air could maybe cause overheating but I’d be suspicious of the dealership not telling me a source of the leak.
Welcome, some people don't check the overflow tank, if it gets to low the system will suck air an that's all it takes for a air bubble to get in your system. the air bubble will travel to the thermostat an get stuck in which will make the car overheat very quickly..

Reactions
City
Fort Lauderdale
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger GT1
Welcome, some people don't check the overflow tank, if it gets to low the system will suck air an that's all it takes for a air bubble to get in your system. the air bubble will travel to the thermostat an get stuck in which will make the car overheat very quickly..
Thanks! I saw that in the thread and looking at my overflow tank, it was a little above the ‘ok’ mark and I had opened the actual radiator cap and that was full too. I did neglect to mention that I’ve already added the BMS JB4. However I am only running the default map and did not purchase the additional component(s) to change maps. Not sure if that could be a reason. I will find out today if she overheats.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The JB4 shouldn't have anything to do with the overheating, yes just keep an eye on it..

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Mine overheated a couple weeks ago. Just replace the thermostat and went through the ridiculous burping process....still over heats when I let it idle for about 15 minutes. No leaks. I'm stumped. Going to get a stethoscope and check the water pump next. No oil in the coolant and coolant didn't seem to have much debris in it.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Mine overheated a couple weeks ago. Just replace the thermostat and went through the ridiculous burping process....still over heats when I let it idle for about 15 minutes. No leaks. I'm stumped. Going to get a stethoscope and check the water pump next. No oil in the coolant and coolant didn't seem to have much debris in it.
This has happened to a few people & it ended up being a AIR BUBBLE stuck at the thermostat ....