Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

OILS AINT OILS?

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys,

I recently asked a question relating to oils suitable for the Stinger V6TT. I bought what I considered to be top shelf Group 4 Full Synthetic oil (SN 0W-40). And the local Kia Dealer said it wasn't good enough even though it was SN rated and EXCEEDED the specified 0W-30 range ... because it was missing the required ACEA numbers. I just picked up this info on ACEA from: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-centre/Specifications/194/ACEA-Service-Classifications/364

ACEA stands for "Association des Constructuers Européens de l’Automobile". This classification system is the European equivalent of the API classification system, but is stricter and has more severe requirements.

Hence an oil that meets both API & ACEA specifications uses a better Additive package than one that is designed to meet only API specifications. Unlike the API, ACEA has three main groups – “A/B”for petrol (A) and Light Duty Diesel (B) engines, “C” for light duty three way catalyst (TWC) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Compatible oils, usually Low and Mid SAPS (Sulphated Ash Phosphorus Sulphur) and “E” for Heavy Duty diesel engines. These can be defined as follows.

DESIGNATION AND DESCRIPTION:

• A1/B1
    For use in petrol and light duty diesel engines capable of using low friction, low viscosity, and low HT/HS shear (2.9 to 3.5cP) oils. (Obsolete)
  • A3/B3
    Stable, stay in grade oil intended for use in high performance petrol and diesel engines or extended drain intervals.
  • A3/B4
    For use in direct injection diesel engines where special oils may be required, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.
  • A5/B5
    Similar to A1/B1 but for high performance engines capable of using low friction, low viscosity as well as low HT/HS oils. May be unsuitable for use in some engines.
The oil I bought is ACEA A3 and I think it needs to be A5.

Attachments

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
And what does your owners manual specify for your vehicle in your geography?

Ravage

Reactions
City
Hayti
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT AWD
Castrol syntec 5w30 has the ACEA A5/B5 rating so dose Mobil 1 5w30. I went to the local wallyword and looked at the popular brands. What I found was that a lot of the 5w30s had the A5/B5 ratings but different viscosity of the same brand and product did not.

Ravage

Reactions
City
Hayti
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT AWD
Just noticed you are not in the US. My manual recommends 5w30.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Reactions
City
Hurstbourne
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT-Elite
Does your owners manual specify A5 only?

NO. Mine does not; it does not even mention A5. I have a USA market GT2 & Owners Manual. (A5 is not necessarily "better" than A3/B3 or A3/B4-- sometimes owners will feel "engine wear" is more important than "fuel economy" )

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #7
Guys: I checked the Kia Manual. Yes it specifies ACEA A5 oil. But there's a footnote: *5. And footnote 5 states that if ACEA A5 oil is not available then a minimum of SM oil may be used.

ACEA A5 is available here. It's what the local Kia Dealer uses. I wonder where that leaves me if I try to use the 20L of Group 4 Full Synthetic SM oil I bought for my last car, the XR6 Turbo? On the one hand, I could argue that if it's OK to use in the absence of ACEA A5 it can't cause any engine damage. On the other hand, Kia might argue that I must not use it as ACEA A5 is available at my local Kia Dealer.

I've found the email address for Kia Australia. I think I'll flick them an email and wait for a written response.

PAH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Guys: I checked the Kia Manual. Yes it specifies ACEA A5 oil. But there's a footnote: *5. And footnote 5 states that if ACEA A5 oil is not available then a minimum of SM oil may be used.

ACEA A5 is available here. It's what the local Kia Dealer uses. I wonder where that leaves me if I try to use the 20L of Group 4 Full Synthetic SM oil I bought for my last car, the XR6 Turbo? On the one hand, I could argue that if it's OK to use in the absence of ACEA A5 it can't cause any engine damage. On the other hand, Kia might argue that I must not use it as ACEA A5 is available at my local Kia Dealer.

I've found the email address for Kia Australia. I think I'll flick them an email and wait for a written response.

PAH
Does you manual say to use A5 for better fuel economy?

*1 : For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W
30 (ACEA A5 or above). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the
proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #9
Does you manual say to use A5 for better fuel economy?

*1 : For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W
30 (ACEA A5 or above). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the
proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

DJL, Thanks again. I plan to flick Kia Australia an email and see what they say in response.