Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Oil Catch Can or No?

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Kia Optima SXL
I know this topic generally opens up to much debate in other forums. I?m just looking to see how many others feel it?s necessary to install a catch can on their Stinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I know this topic generally opens up to much debate in other forums. I?m just looking to see how many others feel it?s necessary to install a catch can on their Stinger.

Great question!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT

I have installed CC on both my Focus ST and STi, plan to do the same on the Stinger. It's really simple to install and can help prolong the motor.

I've added a couple of products to the CC thread that we can use.
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/threads/361-Kia-Stinger-Catch-Can-Thread

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Even if you do nothing to the Stinger this is almost a must to protect the longevity of the engine once you see the junk it catches that would build up. For the cost and what it does its the best mod esp for the pricepoint to have the extra protection for the engine.

From the other post:
the catch can acts like a condenser. Taking water, gas and oil vapors coming from the crank case and condenses it back to liquid form in a tank so it doesn't enter the intake stream and gums up the intake valves. On port injected engines this wasn't much of an issue but on direct injected engines it is an issue since the intake valves are no longer washed in fuel as it enters the combustion chamber. The fuel spraying the intake valves kept the crud from building up.

To minimize the oil vapors use a high quality low NOACK synthetic engine oil. NOACK measures the volatility. Higher the percentage number the easier the oil tends to vapor off from heat.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
To me this is a must for turbo cars.

At the moment K8stingerstore is working on one for the Stinger I believe.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
To me this is a must for turbo cars.

At the moment K8stingerstore is working on one for the Stinger I believe.
Correct.

I have the 2 from my Optima I took off before trading it in. So waiting to see a install and possible their bracket solution. I have red so I may sell them then get blue to match the car and/or get the dual OCC so less to worry on installing 2 OCC.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I prefer not to mess with catch cans for several reasons.
First, Kia warranties this engine for 10 yrs/100,000 miles. If they know the engine will survive the longest powertrain warranty in the industry with their maintenance schedule, that should suggest that the catch can is not needed under normal conditions (racing excluded.)
Second, part of scheduled maintenance is the use of the Kia additive which dissolves any residue that may accumulate on intake valves and pistons. Fuel injection engines have benefited from these additives for many years, including my '75 Saab EMS Turbo.
Next, paying attention to proper break-in on a new engine virtually assures that blow-by is a minimum with proper ring seating. My 6.0L LS96 still uses virtually no oil between changes at 190,000 miles.
Then, increasing the oil change interval and using GF-5 synthetic oils will remove or neutralize most if not all contaminants before they can cause a problem.
Finally, depending on your dealer, modification of the emission system is potentially a black-eye on potential warranty claims and/or emission checkpoints, regardless of the benefit, if it is not EPA recognized and vetted.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from adding a catch can, just pointing out that it may not be the panacea that it is expected to be. JMHO as a former service manager.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So I just completed the K&N install. When taking off the tubing for the driver side turbo there was a pool of oil sitting in the turbo. Car had been sitting for around 24hrs. I do not have a heavy foot, mostly using Eco mode and cruise for my long drives to work. Completed oil change at 3000 miles and this is just over that. The passenger turbo I didn't see anything.

20180217_122326.jpg

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So I just completed the K&N install. When taking off the tubing for the driver side turbo there was a pool of oil sitting in the turbo. Car had been sitting for around 24hrs. I do not have a heavy foot, mostly using Eco mode and cruise for my long drives to work. Completed oil change at 3000 miles and this is just over that. The passenger turbo I didn't see anything.

View attachment 507
Hmmmmmm... interesting. Although, it appears to be more of a drop or two as opposed to a pool.

I can't think of any reason what so ever for oil to be in the turbo inlet and it's weird that it's driver side only.

Was there any residue in the connected piping?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
If that was the first oil change, even after 3,000 miles it could be left over from assembly, especially since it looks very clean and is only on one side.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I wonder if there might be a problem with the PCV valve.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
We are in the process of fabbing some custom brackets for the Stinger, this will take the guess work out of where to mount your OCC. We've definitely seen a need in these cans over the past few weeks with customers coming to us with reports like Will showed above

Stay posted!

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
True, but what is a catch can? to catch loose oil? never heard of one until here.