Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Interior A/C Vent Smell

Reactions
City
Delray Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Hey all, this is my first post and hopefully, I get some feedback.
I have had my 2020 Stinger GT for a little over a year now and I use my AC every day here in hot and humid Florida. When I start my car, I get a musty smell through the air vents and I am thinking it can be a few things...(My fiance described it as the smell you get when you walk in Home Depot in the gardening section lol)

1) Changing the cabin air filter since I have not it done yet
2) Cleaning the sunroof drains (I worked at Volkswagen as a tech and they always had this problem which caused a moldy smell.)
3) Someone told me if the AC is used every day the AC compressor should be flushed (This one doesn't make much sense since the car is a year old and blows nice and cold...but I could be crazy)

Let me know what y'all think as I would like some ideas before I start throwing time and money at it. Thanks!

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, If your in a area where it's humid & hot you should have the Compressor flushed out every year. I live in Arizona where it's hot all the time but a dry heat so I don't have to clean the Compressor out all the time. I'm going on 3 years an there's no smell.

Just take the car to the dealer an they will flush it for you...

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
The cabin air filter in these cars get gross quickly and changing it may help also. I replaced mine with a washable K&N one.

OP
Kiachup_3.3
Reactions
City
Delray Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #4
Welcome, If your in a area where it's humid & hot you should have the Compressor flushed out every year. I live in Arizona where it's hot all the time but a dry heat so I don't have to clean the Compressor out all the time. I'm going on 3 years an there's no smell.

Just take the car to the dealer an they will flush it for you...
Awesome. I will give them a call and get it checked out. I guess we all learn something new every day!

OP
Kiachup_3.3
Reactions
City
Delray Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #5
The cabin air filter in these cars get gross quickly and changing it may help also. I replaced mine with a washable K&N one.
I just put a new one in anyways cause the old one was wicked dirty. this along with flushing the compressor should get this fixed. thanks for the input!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Flushing the compressor?

You mean clean the evaporator?