Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Headliner crackle?

Chek12

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
BMW
Just purchased a 2019 GT1 last month and loving it. One thing I noticed however when radio is off and it's quiet in the cabin, there is a subtle crackling of the headliner. Kind of sounds like plastic expanding/contracting/popping. It's not really noticeable when you turn the radio on but has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps it's still so new that everything is "settling in" and may go away after time. No other rattles or squeaks, just this general plasticky headliner weird sound that is not isolated to one spot.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
You could be suffering from the sunroof creaking issue. Where on the headliner is the noise coming from? Does it go away when open the sunroof shade? or does it increase?

OP
C

Chek12

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
BMW
Thread Starter #3
The sound is all over the headliner and not isolated. Makes no difference if the sunroof shade is open and not really a creak either. Best way I can describe it is like a crumpled up plastic shopping bag reforming its shape and that crackling sound. I did check by the way to make sure there wasn't one in the car :)

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have noticed mine does the same, but when the temperature is above 55 degrees the sound disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
Interesting.... I haven’t experienced this with my 2019 GT1. I’ll try to listen for it in case I have missed it and will report back if I have the issue, fairly certain I do not.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
The sound is all over the headliner and not isolated. Makes no difference if the sunroof shade is open and not really a creak either. Best way I can describe it is like a crumpled up plastic shopping bag reforming its shape and that crackling sound. I did check by the way to make sure there wasn't one in the car :)
Have you check for any loose spots in the headliner? I had to replace the headliner on my old Dodge because the glue was coming undone. Haven't had any issues on the Stinger.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I have noticed mine does the same, but when the temperature is above 55 degrees the sound disappears.

Your right, I've noticed it when the temperature gets warm here in Arizona, it sounds like the metal an plastic expanding and contracting.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Your right, I've noticed it when the temperature gets warm here in Arizona, it sounds like the metal an plastic expanding and contracting.
For me it’s the other way around, when it’s cold I hear it and when it’s warm I don’t.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
For me it’s the other way around, when it’s cold I hear it and when it’s warm I don’t.

Same here, I hear more often in the mornings when its cold.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
I turned off the radio this and also very faintly heard it; visor open, it was about 63 degrees this morning.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I have a 2019 GT2 and have not heard any noises from the headliner on my end.

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 GT2 and have not heard any noises from the headliner on my end.
My 18 gt1 has this very issue, very annoying. Goes away when I put pressure between the front of the headliner and the windshield and when I open the sunroof.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
You want to feel better. Listen to this is the sound of my sunroof creaking in the 15 GTI I unfortunately used to own

https://youtu.be/emliQUqKCNo

Now that is some real noise. In fact I'd say if the engineers goal was to make the noisiest sunroof possible this would be a feat

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Holy crap. Now that is very irritating. The Stinger is silent compared to that.

Did VW ever found a solution for that?

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Chek12
It's an issue with the hard rubber pieces, when your cover is open but the sunroof closed the flex in the car causes the pieces to make noise. You can buy some rubber lub(silicone based, not petroleum) apply it to the rubber around the top. That worked for me. You can also have your dealership address the problem, mine was aware of it, if the noise comes back I will take it to them.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
You should notice if you just push the button to raise the back of the sunroof up the noise goes away, that's because the piece around the sunroof is no longer in direct contact with the piece around the car. If this works than you know without a doubt that is your issue.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Chek12
It's an issue with the hard rubber pieces, when your cover is open but the sunroof closed the flex in the car causes the pieces to make noise. You can buy some rubber lub(silicone based, not petroleum) apply it to the rubber around the top. That worked for me. You can also have your dealership address the problem, mine was aware of it, if the noise comes back I will take it to them.

The lube works as a temporary solution. The noise will come back, I have experienced that my self.
Right now the only proper solution that has been tested to work is a complete replacement of the sunroof, glass, rails and motor.

Reactions
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I have the same issue with the headliner crackle. I don't think it's associated with the moonroof as I can press on the roof behind the driver and the sound ceases.

Reactions
City
Fort Worth
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
I've heard this sound before. A collision repair (sigh...) required unseating the headliner for technicians to get to some things. After the collision repair I heard the sound you are describing. Get a good bright flashlight (not your smartphone, a good one) and peak in between the gap adjacent the headliner and the sunroof glass. You will have to pull down on the headliner. The headliner is attached to the ceiling in this area, as well as around the perimeter by the doors by hard velcro/bristle block like plastic connectors that look like they are designed to prevent such rattles. I found a couple of my were not fully seated, even though visually it looked like they were. After locating them, and boping them back in place with the heel of my hand, the sound went away completely and the connection stayed. It wasn't difficult to do.

The sound was worse in hot weather and appeared to be caused by the rubbing of the two parts of the velcro/bristle block connectors. I hope this helps.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That's good to know, great job on the write up..(y)

By the way, welcome aboard