Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

GPS Tracker in the Car and how to remove?

Strtaylor

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Bro, that is complete BS. They lied to you.

I've been selling Kia's for 17 years and Kia does NOT track their customers for any purpose. Period. If a dealer install's something, it's either because you bought it or for their own personal reason.

That is NOT a Kia function.
Will 2nd and 3rd that I ran our Kia store for 2 years and have been with our company for over 8. Never once have I seen Kia or any other manufacturer put a GPS tracking device in a vehicle. I would venture to guess that is a dealership policy or the dealership has certain ins. requirements because of the area. I can imagine they get some sort of discount from whoever the floor plan bank is or the insurance company if they have these devices installed. Doubt they put it on every car but probably the higher end ones for that store/location. The stinger would 100% hit that criteria. "My 2 Cents"

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
***[popcorn]

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Did you ever find this?

Reactions
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Bro, that is complete BS. They lied to you.

I've been selling Kia's for 17 years and Kia does NOT track their customers for any purpose. Period. If a dealer install's something, it's either because you bought it or for their own personal reason.

That is NOT a Kia function.

You might want to read this ;)

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/technology/uvo/features/security

"Find My Car
Keep track of your Kia—even if you’re not driving it. The Find My Car feature offers peace of mind even if a family member is using the vehicle."

"Geo Fence
The Geo Fence feature helps you keep tabs on your Kia—no matter who’s driving it. Geo Fence will alert you if your Kia is driven outside the pre-determined area you’ve set."

If you can track your car via a built in system then so can Kia.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
The dealership doesn't care if your car is stolen. Once you sign the papers and financing is finalized it's the property of the bank and maybe yourself. If the stealership put a GPS tracker in there then it's maybe a thing for them to track if one of the cars is stolen off the lot or possibly a lease issue. Back in the day dealerships had all sorts of hidden fees, a GPS tracker could be a hidden fee and you didn't see it in the fine print.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
You might want to read this ;)

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/technology/uvo/features/security

"Find My Car
Keep track of your Kia—even if you’re not driving it. The Find My Car feature offers peace of mind even if a family member is using the vehicle."

"Geo Fence
The Geo Fence feature helps you keep tabs on your Kia—no matter who’s driving it. Geo Fence will alert you if your Kia is driven outside the pre-determined area you’ve set."

If you can track your car via a built in system then so can Kia.
Hey [MENTION=1159]BigDave802[/MENTION]! Happy Thursday.

So, I wanted to address your comments here. These features are NOT functioning through a GPS sensor in the car. They are functioning via a GPS sensor in your cell phone. Those UVO functions will NOT function without having your phone tethered via the USB connection and synchronized.

Now, if you live in a country that has the EMBEDDED UVO system in the Stinger, at that point the car has a FACTORY GPS receiver that communicates to report where your car is located.

edge9421

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I just found this exact tracker hidden in my dash. I was looking at the fuse panel under the steering wheel and saw 2 wires spliced into the back of the OBD2 port and followed them up to the hidden tracker.

I’m seriously feeling violated, and not in a good way. This is a serious betrayal of trust from a company that has sold me a product. Betrayal of my trust that I bought a new, unmodified product. Betrayal of trust with undisclosed tracking of my product.

If there was ever a legitimate and legally allowed reason for it, then it should be clearly disclosed in writing at the time of sale, along with a plan for removal when conditions are no longer valid for the device to be active.

A secret tracker from a seller is never in the buyer’s best interest. It’s downright evil. If it has to be secret, it has to be against the buyer.

Baddog817

Reactions
City
Haltom
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Gt1
I just found the same tracker in the same location, right above the 20200616_082102.jpg lfuse panel . Im here in Tx

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

tjcintx

Reactions
City
Tyler
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
kia
Daughters car started having start up issues. She is only owner ever of car boought at dealership. Also Kia. Problem was fount to be tracker unstalled on left side of dash. Dealership claimed they did not instal.

Attachments

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
This thread leaves a lot of unanswered questions ...