Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

GPS Tracker in the Car and how to remove?

Daniel

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
So I bought my car and I noticed a label on my keychain tag had a MEID for cellular and Part Number CDMA P18060, FCC ID: 2AAQ6AC05.

I looked up the FCC ID and it's a GPS tracker that was placed in my car. Apparently the dealership put in a separate GPS tracker. I want to remove it, how do I find it and remove it?

Here is the manual to the tracker: https://fccid.io/2AAQ6AC05/User-Manual/Users-Manual-3385948

Stinger Remote.jpg

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Hey which dealer did you get yours from? I wonder if mine has the same tracker. Makes me question if they've installed GPS trackers for easier repo for people that don't pay.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
That's really unsettling. A quick image search shows the tracker looking like this. Supports both 2G, 3G and LTE. I would think it's placed somewhere underneath the dash so its able to monitor and connect to the vehicle's ODBII wiring.

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
So I bought my car and I noticed a label on my keychain tag had a MEID for cellular and Part Number CDMA P18060, FCC ID: 2AAQ6AC05.

I looked up the FCC ID and it's a GPS tracker that was placed in my car. Apparently the dealership put in a separate GPS tracker. I want to remove it, how do I find it and remove it?

Here is the manual to the tracker: https://fccid.io/2AAQ6AC05/User-Manual/Users-Manual-3385948

View attachment 1580
Interesting. I originally leased my Stinger but don't recall anything like this. Following this thread to see what you learn.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Check your purchase agreement to see if it states anywhere in there they can install a GPS tracker. Following this thread too to see what you find out.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I will check mine, but I don't recall seeing anything in the contract.

OP
D

Daniel

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #7
Hey which dealer did you get yours from? I wonder if mine has the same tracker. Makes me question if they've installed GPS trackers for easier repo for people that don't pay.
Southwest KIA of Austin

OP
D

Daniel

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #8
That's really unsettling. A quick image search shows the tracker looking like this. Supports both 2G, 3G and LTE. I would think it's placed somewhere underneath the dash so its able to monitor and connect to the vehicle's ODBII wiring.
My ODB-II port is open and nothing connected to it, but my guess it would be spliced in. Also, I think it needs to be facing near the top of the car to get GPS lock. I installed the remote start in my car and I didn't see a module like that on the passenger side, but I haven't opened up the driver side.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Focus ST(Stinger GT1 soon)
Southwest KIA of Austin
Did you lease it? I was planning on buying one from that dealer as my mom has had great luck with them, but that is unsettling to hear...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hey guys, I'm guessing that it's for theft from the dealership. They probably install them on all of the inventory.

Once they sell the car, it's probably removed by the dealer before delivery.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
My understanding is that every modern car has GPS built-in regardless of whether you the consumer have access to it or not. Law enforcement can turn it on to track the car down... This is so bogus and a clear violation of the 4th amendment right to privacy I don't know where to start. But there it is, with law after law whittling away that constitutional amendment. I don't believe it's even in the legal documentation you sign either. Shocker! Not!

That said, I just wear a lead hat when I drive and I'm good to go...

If you use FB, Twitter or use an Android phone, I wouldn't get too upset. You've been categorized, bought and sold 100 way to Sunday already so...

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Let us know if you find anything

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
You guys realize this car has GPS navigation and the only way that will works is if there is a GPS tracker in the car right? You probably can't remove it without voiding a major warranty. Do you leave GPS turned on on your phone? Everyone is tracking us all the time, it's the world we live in. I wouldn't worry about

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
You guys realize this car has GPS navigation and the only way that will works is if there is a GPS tracker in the car right? You probably can't remove it without voiding a major warranty. Do you leave GPS turned on on your phone? Everyone is tracking us all the time, it's the world we live in. I wouldn't worry about
"Everyone is tracking us all the time, it's the world we live in. I wouldn't worry about [it]." Well, I'm not so sure I'd worry per se about the car. Dearlerships have neither the time, care, or resources to be tracking people. If your car gets stolen, it could be helpful for hunting it down. However, as a blanket statement about tracking - not worrying about it? I don't think that if Jiggaman's point, but if so, do you lock your doors when you leave the house?

Here is perhaps the spookiest play thus far, by Red China of course: China's Social Credits System https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-al...-in-the-west-is-a-reality-in-china-1498493020

Yikes!

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (which meant virtue back in the day), and Stingers! Yah, threw that last bit in there myself if anyone was wondering...[:)]

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
You guys realize this car has GPS navigation and the only way that will works is if there is a GPS tracker in the car right? You probably can't remove it without voiding a major warranty.
Wrong. The car's NAV system has its own antenna. The tracker works independently from any of the vehicles systems. Removing this aftermarket device will not void the warranty.

OP
D

Daniel

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #16
I contacted the dealership, this tracker is separate from the built-in NAV. It's used for repo purposes for KMF supposedly? They said it could be under the dash or in the trunk area depending on where the installer decided to install it. I can take it out if I find it or pay them labor to remove it. I'm no longer under KMF so screw that.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I contacted the dealership, this tracker is separate from the built-in NAV. It's used for repo purposes for KMF supposedly? They said it could be under the dash or in the trunk area depending on where the installer decided to install it. I can take it out if I find it or pay them labor to remove it. I'm no longer under KMF so screw that.
If you do find it please let us know where it's installed so we no where to look.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Bro, that is complete BS. They lied to you.

I've been selling Kia's for 17 years and Kia does NOT track their customers for any purpose. Period. If a dealer install's something, it's either because you bought it or for their own personal reason.

That is NOT a Kia function.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive