Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Do you smell coolant around your car?/ warranty / bad mechanics ? DIY

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Since I bought my stinger, I smell coolant coming from the engine bay, especially when I park in the garage and get out. I've brought my car to two of my local dealers and every issue I have, that I try to get covered under warranty they can't recreate. I'm pretty sure I have found the source of the smell, I'm just curious if anyone else has this concern? Nonetheless, I have fixed all the issues the kia mechanics could not recreate my self and refuse to let another dealer touch my vehicle unless it explodes. What good is a warranty if your mechanics are not qualified to work on the new car kia created. I hope everyone else has a better service dept in their region.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Easiest way to tell if there is a leak that may not show, is by looking at your coolant reservoir level and monitor. The cooling system is a sealed system that should not loose fluid in large quantities over a short period. If that is the case then its good to start getting underneath the car and search for possible leaks.

The lambda II engine has a lot of its cooling bridges/pipes located at the back, by the firewall, that could be your starting point.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
I don't smell any coolant around my car but I have a 2.0t if that matters

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
No coolant smell here. I despise taking my car to the dealership unless a problem is really bad.

tcam33

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Kia, Subie, KTM 1290
Yep same thing for me since new. Definite coolant smell when returning to the garage after a drive. Been checked 2 times a 2 different dealers and they can't find any leaks. Car now has 10,000 km on it since May 2018 and the level in the coolant tank is the same.

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #7
Mine is the inlet lines to the turbo...looks like the crush washers seep out, you can tell because there will be a white crusty build up around the banjo bolt. I had kia confirm my suspicion after I argued with the mechanic who "already checked everywhere" to simply look...after he looked, there was a brief moment of silence, disgruntly agreed that that could be the cause of the smell. he then ordered the crush washers but I have yet to return. Its never normal to smell coolant. I've built at least 30 90s turbo cars between me and my friends and never smell coolant

Reactions
Hey guys, going to dig through this whole thread but wanted to get your opinions. 2019 GT1, 2500 miles and 7 months old. Recently (clearly I don’t drive it much) the coolant smell in the garage is getting stronger. May be just that I’m super aware of it and not actually stronger. Popped the hood hot last night and tank is low - about a quarter. Checked stone cold and it’s the same. The coolant dip stick is over L but very short of F. No overheating issues and no leaks in the garage. I’ll check the spots mentioned for signs of a leak but I’m wondering if the tank was always low from delivery.

edit: coolant level, while low in the tank, seems constant/not losing anymore

Last edited:
OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #9
mine went well below low as well. I have topped it off since and have been doing eibach this week and the smell is still going strong. There is also a lot more trace evidence of coolant around the coolant banjo to the turbo, as well as spots all over the compresser housing.

slingshot

Reactions
City
judson
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 forte
SMELL THE SAME THING ON MINE SINCE NEW. KIA SAYS THEY DONT SMELL ANYTHING. JERKS. ITS PLAIN AS DAY. TOOK IT IN FOR WARPED ROTORS NOT COVERED. JERKS. TOOK IT IN FOR PIECE OF TRIM THAT WAS ON THE FLOOR FROM WHO KNOWS WHERE...THEY PUT IT BACK THEN SAID I SHOULD DO IT ALL THE TIMES ITS GOING TO COME OFF IN THE FUTURE. JERKS. IN ORDER TO GET SOMETHING UNDER WARRANTY I'LL HAVE TO BLOW UP THE DRIVETRAIN. LOVE THE CAR HATE THE DEALERSHIP IN JANESVILLE, WISCONSIN. BAD SERVICE AND ATTITUDE THERE. THEY ARE QUICK TO DISMISS ALL CONCERNS.JERKS. NEXT KIA DIFFERENT DEALER. RECOMMEND THE SAME FOR ALL IN THIS AREA.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, sorry to hear your have dealership issues, If I was you I would contact KIA corporate..

slingshot

Reactions
City
judson
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 forte
THANKS FOR THE CORPORATE IDEA. ANY STINGER CLUB GATHERINGS YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT COMING UP?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I'm not sure in that area, There are some owners on this thread that live in the area..